Holiday - help me choose

aimee-lou

Totally Outnumbered!!
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Hubby and I have decided to go on hols. 1 week in July just for a short break somewhere in the UK. Going to book ourselves a caravan/chalet, take the dog and chill out away from life's little stresses (or big stresses! :rofl:)

Question is .....where?

We would love to go to Cornwall but it's just a bit too far (we went last year and it took us 8 hours!!). We are thinking maximum radius of 4 hours from York. Which of the following options would you pick?

- Norfolk
- Lake District
- Northumberland
- Scotland (Highlands, Stirling etc)
- Anywhere else?

I still would love to go to Cornwall if not just for the beaches? Can anyone tell me where there are some nice summer beaches other than in the South West?

Thanks ladies...thought this was a good feel good Wednesday afternoon topic! PMA ladies, PMA!!! :happydance:

we love going to lakes with our dogs, try to go once a year. hawkshead is really nice little village. have fun wherever you decide

We have stayed in a log cabin in snowdonia national park a fair few times in the last couple of years. The holiday park is very peaceful and quiet and the views are amazing. I'd recommend something like this.

Norfolk has some lovely beaches. We live further down in Suffolk which is also lovely, but a bit further for you to come :)

I'd go for the Lakes... I live there, we've got a touring caravan, yet don't use it as any days off we get we always have round about!

There're some new 'pods' at Eskdale if you fancy something a little different.. still comfy though with little stoves and everything!

I live in Norfolk and we do have some of the best beaches, Holkham beach is world famous after being used in loads of films it is just miles of sand and sand dunes which is lovely as you can always find a quiet spot. The Lake district is also lovely have been there several times myself on holiday and i always love it.

I'd do the Lakes, but that's cos it's my second fave place in the UK (second after where we live right now) and we go at least once a year.

Sorry I won't be much help as I was going to suggest Cornwall as we love it down there. Used to take us about 9-10 hours going down but we would travel o/nite when roads quiet, think it was 550miles each way for us.
Normally went camping but we took a lovely cottage in Padstow one year for a week in October and it was great, beach was deserted so the dog got to run down there every night and walking distance to town for shops and restaurants/pub meals.

We are actually heading to York for our hols in July.

Sorry I am not much help at all.

Sorry I won't be much help as I was going to suggest Cornwall as we love it down there. Used to take us about 9-10 hours going down but we would travel o/nite when roads quiet, think it was 550miles each way for us.
Normally went camping but we took a lovely cottage in Padstow one year for a week in October and it was great, beach was deserted so the dog got to run down there every night and walking distance to town for shops and restaurants/pub meals.

We are actually heading to York for our hols in July.

Sorry I am not much help at all.

We went to Cornwall in November last year and we loved it. It was fantastic, beaches were deserted and the cream teas were to die for. We also had 12 degree heat which is November is brill...especially as it rained all week at home.

Where in York? I can recommend a few places! :rofl:

i lurve the lake district!
You get the benefit of looking at lovely water without the draw back (for you) of travelling all the way to cornwall - I find the water so peaceful and it's so chilled out there, I love it!

I'd go for the Lake District, just gorgeous, I went on a business trip a few weeks ago and the train went through there, and I relaxed as soon as I saw it.

If you would do drive, Cornwall is great. I also went camping last summer in Newquay and it was brilliant, we went at the end of June and it wasn't too busy. The beaches are lovely and you're dog would love some of the walking trails by the beach as well. If you go, check out Newquay zoo, I was very impressed and it was a great day out.

I'm thinking of going camping again in June to the New Forest, think the bump will be manageable around that time and I could still enjoy myself.

Have a great time!

Hi Aimee-lou

We are taking the caravan and going to base ourselves in Moor Monkton? think its 5miles or so outside York.
It will be our first trip to York as we normally always go to Cornwall but I will be 32 weeks when we go so didn't want to travel too far......I am open to suggestions of places to visit and good pub lunches too!!

I live in snowdonia, it's great but i'm prob being bias!!!!

Its got moutnains and northern snowdonia is only 20 mins drive from anglesey, with some of the best beaches in te UK (Newborough!!)

OOooo! So glad so many of you like the Lakes.. we're renovating the house at the moment, should be ready for when Smudge is born.. .and from whenever he/she starts a decent sleeping pattern we'll be doing a few rooms B & B in it! Nice to know it's still popular (though can see from the roads whenever its nice weather... arghhh! Trips to Tescos take 4 times longer!)

I'd go for the Lake District, just gorgeous, I went on a business trip a few weeks ago and the train went through there, and I relaxed as soon as I saw it.

If you would do drive, Cornwall is great. I also went camping last summer in Newquay and it was brilliant, we went at the end of June and it wasn't too busy. The beaches are lovely and you're dog would love some of the walking trails by the beach as well. If you go, check out Newquay zoo, I was very impressed and it was a great day out.

I'm thinking of going camping again in June to the New Forest, think the bump will be manageable around that time and I could still enjoy myself.

Have a great time!

We went to Newquay Zoo when we went in November. It was really good actaully.....really loved the fact that there were animals just wandering around....now I come to think of it, were they meant to be? :rofl:

I'm still really stuck. I love the lakes. No offence to people in Wales but I spent 3 years at Uni in Bangor and not too many happy memories. it's gorgeous but would rather avoid for the time being. I spent a couple of years in Scotland and would love to take hubby so that's a possibility. Hubby is landing on Norfolk/suffolk as he used to go there as a kid. Northumberland isn't getting any votes at the moment?

I'm still stuck.....just don't know where to go.Price will dictate some of it I think.......hmmmm will have to continue the search tonight when I get home.

We rented a cottage in Northumberland a few Novembers ago with our two dogs... literally fell out of the house and onto the beach for a huge long walk/paddle everyday... was very relaxing...

Hi Aimee-lou

We are taking the caravan and going to base ourselves in Moor Monkton? think its 5miles or so outside York.
It will be our first trip to York as we normally always go to Cornwall but I will be 32 weeks when we go so didn't want to travel too far......I am open to suggestions of places to visit and good pub lunches too!!

Ooh lovely part of the world. Depends on what you're into. There are literally hundreds of Museums! Loads of little tea shops and restaurants and the shopping is good for unusual things. Would recommend going on a ghost walk if you can manage the walk at 32 weeks. They take about an hour and are really good for a laugh. Don't get the tour bus - they're too expensive. Outside the city there is also loads.....Moor monkton is out Harrogate way so you could go out in that direction, Harrogate and the dales are just gorgeous (I'm orginally from Ripon - would recommend a jaunt to there as it's so pretty and the cathedral is stunning!). Pub lunches.....pretty much every pub does a good lunch. Recommend you speak to the locals as I don't know any in particular around there. Just hope you're hungry as you get 'Yorkshire portions'!! :rofl:

Main thing is there is sooooooo much. If you give the TIC a call they will send you a free guide book....think it's 01904 550099 (used to work there...it's sad I still know the number!! :rofl:)

I hadn't even looked at how far on I'll be in July....quick count 25/26 weeks according to the calendar! Eeeek! :dohh:

thanks for that info, just checked and I will be 34 weeks when we go away and we are going for two weeks. God hope I can enjoy it buts its the only hols I could get booked from work!

The ghost walk sounds interesting will need to look into that!

Good luck on your own search!

The best thing about Norfolk is that it's mostly flat so really easy to go on nice walks - and the beaches and coastline are really lovely. It is possible to find plenty of nice, out of the way places where you can avoid the second homers.

I'm not local but have lived here five years and I love it.

We went to Cornwall last week and really enjoyed it - there aren't as many activities/days out here as in Cornwall, but it is lovely. And Norwich is really easy to get in and out as it's so small.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

After much deliberation and searching various websites looking for something in our budget, available on our dates and that we actually liked the look of we have decided to just bite the bullet and go to Cornwall. We have however also decided that our first holiday with LO will be to Norfolk (hubby's first ever holiday when he was a toddler (that he can remember!) was to Norfolk and he wants to do the same thing with our children. So we have actually earmarked a couple of places in Cornwall to book in a couple of weeks, and a particular site in Norfolk that we like the look of to go in May 2010! We really cannot wait and we think that by May we will be very much in need of a hols, plus we can leave the dog with MIL in Essex and be only 1-2 hours drive from hers! Perfect!

Thank you so much for all the help guys.....I really was spoiled for choice and in the end hubby made the decision lol :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->