Holidays and changes to routine

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by KatyKat, Jun 5, 2011.

1. KatyKat

KatyKat Well-Known Member

We're taking Izzy camping in two weeks, and obviously wont be able to accomodate her normal bedtime routine as a result.

I'm not sure what impact the combination of a change of routine and unfamiliar surroundings will have on her? She's used her travel cot before when sleeping over and my mam and dads, but other than that everything will be different.

Obvioudly I'm limited as to what of her normal stuff I can take for her, but I will be taking her playgym, bumbo and bouncer.

Does anyone have any advice/tips/experience thay can share - if only to make me feel a bit more prepared? :shrug:

2. Bluebell321

Bluebell321 Well-Known Member

Sorry no advice to offer but well done for going away. I'm too much of a chicken, we're staying at home this year!

3. KatyKat

KatyKat Well-Known Member

I'm not as brave as you might think - my parents and sister are also camping with us, so there's plenty of familiar faces around to keep her occupied and entertained. I don't think I'd have risked it otherwise..................:winkwink:

4. Mrs IKW

Mrs IKW Well-Known Member

Ill be watching this thread! We are taking Violet to France in 3 weeks, rented a self catering apartment but very nervous about taking LO out of her routine.... She will have to have jars instead of home cooked baby food and we've got a 2 hour flight... Also taking her to a wedding in France where I am Bridesmaid so OH will have to hold her etc a lot when shes used to me.... Im SO nervous!

5. kristel_

kristel_ Well-Known Member

We went on holiday when LO was 2 weeks old. Only lesson we learnt was to take your own water for making up milk. At home we've got very hard water and went to somewhere with very very soft water and it gave her a big tummy upset which meant that she would only sleep for around an hour at a time. I couldn't enjoy the holiday at all as i was up all night :(

6. xnewxmummyx

xnewxmummyx Mummy, Daddy and Isobelle

How would you take ur own water for a 1-2week hol?

I'm off Scarborough in September, Izzie will be 7months old, will it matter then?

xx

7. kristel_

kristel_ Well-Known Member

We only went for 4 days and she was only 2 weeks old so her digestive system was still really immature. I don't know if it'd have quite as bad an effect on a 7 month old??

8. xnewxmummyx

xnewxmummyx Mummy, Daddy and Isobelle

Oh right, sorry hun, didn't realise.

Thanks though

xx

9. Nervous_1

Nervous_1 Well-Known Member

I think you'd be safe with the water in this country, it's just abroad where they treat the water differently that you're likely to have a problem.

10. hel_5

hel_5 Well-Known Member

We went away for a week when DD1 was 3 months old (with family!) and it was fab, she kept roughly the same routine, although during the end of the week she was staying up later but sleeping more during the day, the only advise i have is try to relax about it all, your on hols and let other people help!!! enjoy

p.s. evey time we have gone away their routine has gone out the window a bit, but when we get home its always fallen back into place vv quickly and easily

11. Impy

Impy Well-Known Member

We have just got back from a week in Florida visiting Disney World. I was really worried about it as LO can be pretty high maintenance and is also not great at napping - I thought he might end up screaming for the whole 9 hour flight and then be up at all hours due to the time difference. I had a lovely suprise as he was fab on the plane and adapted to the time change immediately on the way there and back. We only had a few moany evenings when we were out late and trying to sit with him in a restaurant having dinner when it was well past his bed time (he is a little small for their high chairs so was stuck on my lap). I think if you have somewhere comfy you can put LO when she needs a break/sleep then that is half the battle. Also it should help that you have plenty of people to entertain her. My husband is away so I went with friends who have a 5 year old and her silly games definitely helped keep LO amused. Just relax and go with it, I am sure you will have a great time. Oh and don't forget to take loads of warm kit, it might be pretty cold at night.

12. rihanna

rihanna Well-Known Member

Im nr scarboro, I'd lend you some!

13. tammii1981

tammii1981 New mummy to Ruby Belle

We went away when lo was 4 months old, and again 3 weeks ago, ruby was fine!! She adapted so well, babies do....we were able to go out for dinner in the evening (we went to south of France) and some nights she was up happily sitting in restaurants (very family friendly) until 11 pm, then went to sleep and didn't wake till gone 9am! Suited us perfectly!

Also, she would nap just as we got o to the beach, then again after we came back afer lunch so we ended up with full days on the beach sunbathing!! You'll be amazed at how adaptable younger babies are!!

Have a lovely holiday! X