Home Birth Booked

winterleaves

Reaction score
Hi
I have been a lurker of this part of the forum for some while and was always sitting on the fence about what kind of birth I wanted but after visiting the hospital we decided that we would prefer to try and have a natural home birth, as I think it would be much nicer and less stressful. I mentioned this to my MW on Thursday and she was really supportive and has booked me in HB :)

My main questions are how do I prepare the house for home birth (I forgot to ask her) is there anything I need to buy in preparation?

I am also going to order the La Bassine birthing pool, how do I know if I need square or round tap adaptors??

thank you :)

Welcome to the board! :D

You dont 'need' anything. the MWs will bring anything they need and everything else are just 'nice to haves'.

The La Bassine is an excellent pool - I have 2! The adapter depends on the tap you plan to fill the pool from. The round tap adapter is for either traditional taps or mixers with a rounded end and the square is for regular mixers. TBH they are so easy to buy at DIY stores or garden centres, if it's the wrong one you can pick another up for under £2. The deal on the La Bassine ATM is excellent!

Hi Winterleaves! I see you're in Essex, I'm in Chelmsford and had a homebirth in Jan 2010. Depending on what area you are in will depend on what your midwives bring with them and what they will expect you to provide for them. In Chelmsford, they asked me to provide the following for the waterbirth:
  • Birth pool & all the gubbins that come with it
  • Waterproof sheets (we got two cheap shower curtains from Wilkinsons)
  • Towels (again, we bought large cheap ones from Wilkinsons)
  • Waterproof torch
  • Large mirror (so they can check you from within the pool)
  • Bowl/bucket (in case you are sick)

I would just check with your midwives exactly what they expect you (if anything) to supply.

xxx

thank you for the link, that is a great offer I will definitely be ordering it next week, think I will go for the round adaptors :)

JenStar1976 I am from Rayleigh (just outside southend) so not far from you at all. Will remember to ask my mw what I need to get. xx

I know Rayleigh well. I'm in Hockley at my mum's at the mo! x

Hi.

The midwife booked us in for a homebirth on new year's eve. She asked us to make sure we have waterproof sheeting for the floor with towels on top (for my comfort). She also asked that we provide a changing mat with 2 towels on it in one corner of the room which is completely accessible, in case she needs to resuscitate the baby. She said in her experience, she's found that when that area is provided and set up she's not had to use it.

She left the homebirth kit with all the medical stuff in and I had a nosey through it:winkwink:

I'm going to B&M Bargains next week to get a couple of shower curtains, 2 large towels, a changing mat and 2 medium towels.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->