Home birth even an option for first pregnancies?

fancyshmancy

Reaction score
I am just curious as to whether home births are even an option for first-time mothers? Whenever I see anything on tv it states that to be a candidate, you must have had one uncomplicated delivery, among other things.

I don't even think home birth is an option in my area (unfortunately), but was just wondering.

Where do you live? Home births are certainly an option for first pregnancies in the UK. Lots of ladies on here have had home births with their first, I'm sure they'll be able to give you some advice.

I live in NZ and am hoping for a home birth for my first time :thumbup:

I'm allowed one :kiss:

Where do you live? Home births are certainly an option for first pregnancies in the UK. Lots of ladies on here have had home births with their first, I'm sure they'll be able to give you some advice.

I live in a small town in Minnesota, and we hardly have midwifes, let alone anyone that will come to your house to help you give birth... :nope:

birthing in the US is such a medicalised industry. In most countries you will certainly be able to birth at home with your first. To have the rule that you need to have one complication free birth under your belt is a bit silly - all pregnancies and births are different, no one can ever know that your second birth is going to be complication free just because your first was.
If you can find a supportive midwife, then I'm sure there will be nothing stopping you from having a homebirth.

Physically wise there's nothing stopping your from having a homebirth for your first birth. State, insurance, midwife wise you may find it to be a bit harder.

The first thing you need to do is call your insurance and see if they will cover you for a homebirth. Most people find that is the most difficult part to deal with. If you find that you are CONGRATS! Now you have the option of finding your own hospital with a midwife that will support you through your whole pregnancy! Calling up your nearest hospital should be enough to find someone who supports them.

If you find that your insurance doesn't cover them then sadly the only way to go about havinga homebirth is hiring yourself a private midwife. Which in my oppinion would still very much be worth it. You'd be amazed that the price isn't too bad, especially if you don't have the best insurance and you have a high deductable. It would be a one time flat fee and that would cover pre/post natal, delivery and breast feeding help.

I had a homebirth with my first, I def recommend it if you can overcome the insurance/midwife issues.

It hasnt even crossed my mind to give birth anywhere else (so long as I don't have any complications, obviously...)

Its liberating, a truly brilliant experience.

Im in OR and my first was born at home. Wouldnt have it any other way! :cloud9:

I'm planning on a home birth for my 1st. My midwife has been supportive from the very 1st time I mentioned it.
The wood is chopped, the birth pool is up and ready, towels are clean and waiting .....

In in NZ tho, not the US - if that makes a difference?

I'm planning on a home birth for my 1st. My midwife has been supportive from the very 1st time I mentioned it.
The wood is chopped, the birth pool is up and ready, towels are clean and waiting .....

The wood is chopped?? :lol:

The wood is chopped?? :lol:

For the ceramonial placenta burning pyre :rofl:

Nah, we're Canterbury out mountain way and its still cold at nights, so my m/w has suggested having the woodburner set and ready to go just in case I'm birthing in the wee small hours. Its our only heating!

I'm with you on the wood front. I'll be birthing in our snug which relies on the wood burner for heating. Outside temperatures have been below zero for a week now so I'm very glad we've been stockpiling wood! I've had to give up doing the chopping myself now though. Every time I'd bend down to pick up a log I'd set off another BH contraction! :)

On topic, I had a home birth with my first and it was wonderful. I'm in the UK but we still hired an independent midwife, as we have again this time, as continuity of care is essential for me from a trust perspective and the NHS just can't give us that. It's pricey, but absolutely worth it. I'll have these birth memories for the rest of my life so to do everything I can to make them positive is essential.

Good luck!

Gina.

Thank you for all of the responses! I will definitely will have to do some more research and see what is available in my area. I don't even know how to contact a midwife here, since no one I know has ever used one! Should be an interesting journey...

There is a national midwife registry online, I'll find the link for you. Most midwives are willing to do a little bit of travelling from what I've heard. My mom's ex-boyfriend's sister is a midwife and she helped answer a LOT of questions for me. Too bad she lives a few states away so I've decided to see a doctor in my town instead.

i found these websites on Ina May Gaskin's (like the MOST well-known midwife in the US, if not the world...) 'Guide to Childbirth' book:

Midwives Alliance of North America: www.mana.org
National Association of Certified Professional Midwives: www.nacpm.org

Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back