Home birth for first baby?

Discussion in 'Home & Natural Birthing' started by bethsbooboo, Jan 28, 2011.

1. bethsbooboo

bethsbooboo Well-Known Member

Hello ladies,

I'm thinking about a home birth, this is our first baby so I don't know if its even possible to have a home birth for your first?
    My midwife hasn't offered it to us, just a hospital birth but I am only 27 weeks so maybe she will mention it later?

Are there any rules to having a home birth? We live in a flat, would this affect anything?

Thanks in advance! :flower:

2. Jenniflower

Jenniflower Well-Known Member

A lot of times midwives don't tend to mention home births. It's wrong really, all women regardless of what number baby it is should be offered all the choices. I was never offered it either, I ended up having to tell my midwife. She was a bit concerned at first because I'm a "prim". Apparently what they call us first timers, hahaha.

You can most definitely have a home birth even though it's your first. They might say things to you like "You haven't had a baby yet so we don't know how you'll labour" Well every baby is different so that's a silly reason. "First timers tend to have longer labours" So? That's even more reason to stay at home and be comfortable.

As for rules there aren't really any. Some people will say if you rent a flat you might want to get the landlords permission first, or check with your insurance if it's covered. But in the end we did neither of these things because it didn't really bother us either way.

Also just so you know we live in a first floor flat and are planning to have a birthing pool. I was concerned at first that it wouldn't be able to hold the weight but when we did more research we realized that most all flats are well equipped to. It's a bit like having 11-13 men standing around that spot. It's only if your flat was built over 100 years ago the structure would be different than how things are now, but ours was built in the 50's so we know it's very safe.

HTH! :flower:

3. bethsbooboo

Thanks for that, I think I will say to my midwife about it. We live a 2 minute drive from our hospital so I suppose if there was to be complications its not as if we live miles away.
    I agree about the time in labour, I would much rather be comfortable at home for hours than in hospital! My mum had me in hospital then both my sisters at home and that has really made me think I want a home birth too.
    We also live on the first floor, we can sometimes hear our neighbours so i'm a bit worried that they'll hear me!

4. Jenniflower

Jenniflower Well-Known Member

So what if they do? Either they'll think you're having an argument or a really good :sex: session! haha. Some people have mentioned that they're letting their neighbours know so that if there are any abnormal sounds they don't get worried. Personally we live in quite a noisy block of flats (Downstairs has two kids that just love to scream, and upstairs lady doesn't know how to muffle a pleasurable scream, iykwim) so we're not telling anyone. Also I don't intend to be screaming much anyways so I think it'll be ok.

5. Bournefree

Bournefree Well-Known Member

I had a briliant first birth at home. There is nothing,, honestly nothing to stop you from having a first baby at home!

Becuase you have no obstetric history then all the birth choices are wide open to you. The majority of births are normal, so statistically your first brith should be normal too - it can become more of a fight in fact if you have had any previous history which might indicate you may need special care.
    First labours do tend to be longer.. but then home labour and birth tend to be longer - this is linked to the fact that at home, rather than a hospital, you are not on a clock (i.e you won't be offered all sorts of inverventions to get your labour going quicker, as you are taking up bed space) You will recieve excellent care, you MWs are at your house for you only, and not going back and forth between multiple women.
    Lots of women who plan on a birth centre, or hospital for a first birth can end up doing alot of to-ing and throwing.. as you are advised to stay at home for as long as possible (this is because women labour better at home, and again you won't be using up a bed), so if at home, you never have to worry about when to go in, or if they are going to send you away again, if your contractions are strong enough, or enough in fequency, all you have to do is call your MWs CoOrdinator, and get them to come to you - it is a fantastic service!

As for the neighbours, you could let them know you are having a home birth, it's your choice. I didn't have any probs with my neighbours, but they did know I was in labour, but just because of different cars arriving from the MWs.

It is very important that your MW gives you choice is is a goverment objective and includes homebirth, as well as a midwife lead unit or an obstetric lead unit. the choice is totally upto you and you have the right to make an informed decision. Also you can change your mind about where you give birth.. including while you are in labour. So don't let being booked into a birth centre or a hospital deter you.. it is no problem to change your mind.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have
    XxX

6. bethsbooboo

haha that is a good point! i've just been looking on the homebirth website and its put my mind at rest over a few things actually, the more I read the more I think a home birth could be the best thing for us.
    Thanks for your help! x

7. bethsbooboo

Thanks Bournefree, its really nice to hear you had a positive home birth. I didn't realise you could change your mind right up until the end either. I'm feeling really excited about this now! your baby is gorgeous by the way x

8. Bournefree

Thank you so much Beth! She is alot bigger now though!
    I have found most MWs really supportive of homebirths - afterall they are the professionals who are there to help you and it is really their chance to shine, and make your birth experiance as enjoyable as possible! Plus there are relatively few home births still, so they usualy get very enthusiastic about it.. plus expect them to ask you if students are ok to come along, as they would like to get them to experience homebirths too! It is really exciting!
    I'm planning this one at home too, and my MW is already tickled pink and is quite keen to make sure she is going to on call for the birth.. She is talking of planning some holiday around me, so she doesn't miss it!
    XxX
    XxX

9. bethsbooboo

Wow your midwife does seem keen! I hope mine takes the same attitude, have to say i've not been that impressed with her so far, not enough to make me change or complain, she just doesn't seem interested! nevermind, fingers crossed!

10. Bournefree

That's a shame; perhaps she hasn't attended a homebirth before?! You need to ask her what her training history is.. and the number of MWs in the team who have attended a homebirth. Plus questions about how many on-call MWs they will have in and around the time of your delivery
    X

11. bethsbooboo

I will do, thanks for your help and advice x