Home Birth is off - Gutted!!

keava

Reaction score
Hi Girls
After trying everything that has ever been recommended to induce labour my home birth has been cancelled as of 12 tonight.
Im now 40+12 days and too over due for the community midwife to consider it safe to deliver at home.
I have been at hospital every day for monitoring and the FH etc is perfect - the baby is just too contented.
Going tomorrow for an ultra sound to check the depth of the water around baby and we are to come up with a plan from there.
I have tried to remain positive about the process but just feel so low and gutted. I have invested so much time and effort into preparing for my home birth (Hypnobirthing, Pool, convincing medics, Homeoppathy, reflexology, acupuncture etc) but no joy. It feels as if my body is letting me down. Im dreading induction which will come on day 15 if I haven't gone before and am terrified of a dry birth. I also have a huge hosp phobia.
Anyway, Im trying to use all of the techniques I have gathered in the past 9 months to think positively and concentrate on the baby.
We could be in alot worse of a position.
Anyway, I wish you all luck and that you get the birth you planned.
K xx

Ill be sending you labor vibes :winkwink: Good luck hun! Just think, LO will be in your arms so soon! :hugs:

aww sorry to hear that hun,i do hope you go naturally before induction but good luck if it does come to that..whatever happens it will all be worth it in the end when LO is all snug in your arms xx

i'm sorry to hear that, but fingers crossed something happens in the next 3 days.
i've read many birth stories in which they went naturally into labour the day before induction was scheduled.

I refused induction and admission. When I told my midwife she just kind of rolled her eyes. I went into labour naturally at 40+14 and was scanned in early labour and reviewed by the CONSULTANT and allowed home to labour. I did progress to a section for a high fetal heart rate, but I do think the outcome would have been worse if I had been induced or been admitted to hospital earlier in my labour.

I refused induction and admission. When I told my midwife she just kind of rolled her eyes. I went into labour naturally at 40+14 and was scanned in early labour and reviewed by the CONSULTANT and allowed home to labour. I did progress to a section for a high fetal heart rate, but I do think the outcome would have been worse if I had been induced or been admitted to hospital earlier in my labour.

Yea I still feel really strongly that you need to tell the midwife that you will be delivering at home. There is no medical reasoning that says it's not unsafe to deliver there. So he's a little late? He just wants to take his good 'ol time. If the fluids are fine, your fine and he's fine then there again is no medical reason to say otherwise. Remember that you have the RIGHT to your homebirth still. They can suggest, but they can no force or tell you to do anything. Many women go on to have a homebirth after the standard "40+12".

If nothing else at least deny the induction. Again if you and bubs are healthy then there's no reason why you would need one. And maybe (depending on your hospital) You can still give birth in water if you go into labour naturally. Even if it's 40+19.

why does she feel it is unsafe? as a mw herself she should realize term is from 37-42 weeks therefore you are still within 'normal' (I do think over 42 weeks can be normal to some babys just take longer to gestate) Good luck with your scan I'm sure all will be well.
If it were me I would be reminding her of the length of pregnancy and I would write to the head of midwifery and ask her to assure me that a competent mw would be attending me at home when I go into labour as I will not be coming into the unit.

The MW is covering herself in terms of their procedures - I know they would have to attend if I refuse but my OH is really not keen on going AMA. He is a doc in the NHS.
If I go tonight I can have it in the pool in hosp and even tomorrow if they just have to do an ARM but anything else and its going to be otherwise. The waters/ movement/ blood flow etc to baby are all good but we could be looking at the baby arriving on 40+16
Thanks for all your encouragment - maybe next time I will get the birth I want.
Wishing you all the best.
K xx

Best of luck however it works out. Remember you can take all those things you've learnt with you to the hospital. If you're induced that doesn't mean you can't still use all those techniques to make it as natural otherwise as you can. :hugs:

WSS!

no matter what the outcome I'm a firm believer that home birthing is so much more than an alternative venue to birth in. Home birth is a state if mind. You can take everything you have learned and know to be true and still have a positive birth experience. Jus because the venue may change doesn't mean you have to throw it out the window and turn yourself over.

Have a wonderful birth x

WSS!

no matter what the outcome I'm a firm believer that home birthing is so much more than an alternative venue to birth in. Home birth is a state if mind. You can take everything you have learned and know to be true and still have a positive birth experience. Jus because the venue may change doesn't mean you have to throw it out the window and turn yourself over.

Have a wonderful birth x

How very true. There are so many birth stories I've read on here of women who had a the drip to induce labour and still managed a very natural labour otherwise. Your hypnobirthing will be so much more important to you now and imagine being able to come out of it with the story of managing your surges even while on a drip. Keep your amazing strength and state of mind with you whereever your LO needs to be born. :hugs:

There are girls on the Home Birthers & Hopefuls from when we started the thread that didnt give birth at home but retained control over their births and THAT'S the home birth 'state of mind' I'm talking about. All you women over here have that too x

keava for some reason I've just spent the last hour researching the difference between Evening Primrose Oil and Starflower Oil. Apparently it's the GLA (Gamma-Linoleic Acid) you want and lots of it! Starflower Oil has a higher concentrated amount of GLA so I think you need to go get some and start shoving them up your you-know-what. They say you want at least 10% ratio in your capsule (so 1000mg would have 100mgGLA) but I found some SFO that has like 23% (HealthAid Starflower Oil) I just thought maybe you'd want to try to shove one or two up there to see if it help soften anything? :flower:

Hi

yes starflower oil is far more potent than EPO, there is also something called Nigella Sativa/Blackseed oil which has one of the highest concentrations of GLA as well as many other fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. Although it wasn't a nice way to find out it works; when I had my missed miscarriage; I needed something to help my body to go through that naturally, I took (orally) a combination of Starflower oil capsules (healthspan) and the blackseed oil ones, as well as flaxseed for good measure, within 20 minutes things started to happen and the whole process only took 4 hours. I was then left with a tiny piece of retained products; so I just kept taking the blackseed capsules regularly and everything was completely sorted on my next scan. It doesn't work for everyone but if your cervix is already ripe it can really be effective.

Keava it's been a few days I hope you're getting on ok hun. :hugs:

Hi Girls
Thanks so much for all your support and help.
Our baby is here. He arrived on teh 10th after I went into labour myself.
Will write our my birth story - which was nothing like we expected but the most important thing is our wee baby boy - weighing in at 8 lbs 6.5oz
K xx

oh wow congratulations keeva :) I look forward to reading your story.

congrats hun I had a good feeling that you would go into labour without being induced xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->