home birth without pool - options

evewidow

2 boys and a girl ♥
Reaction score
hi ,

this is prob an obvious question but one for some reason i cant get my head around lol.

so i have a home birth booked - jut in case hubby cant get back from work etc i dont wanna have to do the whole ambulance thing. i am hoping at the time i can persuade him to homebirth anyway ...:winkwink:

so i know i dont want to have my baby in my bed - idk why i just am put off by that.

i wanted a pool but several things put me off. if i am here on my own i will need to inflate and fill my own pool.
i read its about 25mins to fill pool plus the time to inflate it etc - i was only 90 mins in labour last time i might not have time to get the pool ready , cant really leave it set up as we have no space.

so where do i have the baby ....any ideas or anyone thats had a baby at home not in a pool or in a bed - i appreciate i sound crazy haha

I've seen programs on the tv where they just have it in the living room leaning on the sofa on all fours.... I guess anywhere you feel comfortable hun :)

XxX:kiss:

My pool took less than 4 minutes to inflate, about 8 minutes to fill with the hose, plus starting water on the stove to keep it hot.

I had my baby in the living room, I stood and squatted him out. I don't think you can determine where you'll have your baby before you're in labor. I thought I'd have my baby in the water, but my body decided against that. I just followed my body, and when it was time I ended up in my living room. Just keep chux pads on hand.

If you have constant hot water they are pretty quick and easy to fill. 4 mins to inflate and just set the tap running from the hose. I appreciate you might not want to do that though if you get going quickly but if you get a few niggles that tell you something is going to start, you could blow it up and fill when you were sure.

I had my son on a birth stool in the dining room. I used the pool to labour in and borrowed a birth stool from the birth centre. A make shift birth stool is a folding camping toilet :D

I got a very very very big bean bag which I could get into all different supportive positions along with cheap shower curtains and fleeces to keep things covered.

I gave birth in my bedroom twice! It's just where I felt most comfortable :)

I think that beforehand, it's going to be impossible to know where you will end up wanting to birth. When it comes down to it, you may go "my bed is where I want to be!" That's the beauty of homebirth, you can go where ever you please and birth where ever you feel most comfortable.
Last time I wanted in the birth pool beforehand but when it came to the time, I didn't want to.

Last time I had my home birth it was policy not to have ladies give birth in their bed; mainly for the reason of wanting to be able to transfer quickly to the hospital should any problems arise; so I gave birth in my living room resting against my sofa (not actually on it). A pool doesn't really appeal to me and while I know you can get them inflated/filled quickly I have very fast labours so I still think my timing would be all off and it would be a bit of a waste of time really. This time while I have the option of giving birth in bed I think it will be in the lounge again, my bedroom is a bit awkwardly shaped/sized and if I have the carrycot in there next to the bed all set up; its going to get in the way...

I thought beforehand that I'd like to be in the lounge but when it came to it I wanted my bedroom, my bed & my home comforts! I expected to want to be in my bedroom again with my second homebirth (new house) & I did, I didn't think I'd deliver on my bed again but I did! Its amazin how your mind takes you to where you feel relaxed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->