Homebirth despite being "High Risk"

angelae36

Reaction score
Ah where to begin?

Right from the start of my pregnancy I wanted a homebirth.
I was told that as I was overweight it would be a no no and I had to have consultant led care etc.

During my pregnancy my BP started to rise. I used to dread check-ups knowing it would probably not be where it should be.
This was also cited as a reason I would have to have my baby in hospital.

So I did an awful lot of reading and asking questions. I even got in touch with an independent midwife for advice and despite what might go wrong (although it was sold to me as it would go wrong) I was still adamant that I would have my baby at home. It's not like it was my first baby either. My MW was not happy and did everything to scare me out of it.

By 32 weeks I was measuring big so had to go for a growth scan. My baby was slap bang on the 50th percentile. The Dr. was more interested in changing my due date and talking me out of a homebirth than the scan.

By 37 weeks my BP had gone up to 150/90 so I was sent to the ward for monitoring (at 4.30pm)
My bp came down and I was eventually seen by a Dr. at 10.15pm - by this time I was worn out.
They told me they wanted to start me on Labetalol and I had to stay in hospital.
I told them no-way was I staying so signed myself out with an appointment for the assessment unit the next day.

The next 3 weeks I was going 2-3 times a week for monitoring - which was stressful in itself and eventually came to an agreement with the head of midwifery.
I "could" have a home birth on condition I informed them as soon as I went into labour and if my BP was too high I would transfer.

At 2.45 am on 2nd November (the date I'd calculated from my LMP), I had agonising backache. I had 3 more twinges over the next 12 minutes so decided to get up (and clean the toilet!!)

My contractions stayed in my back (my baby was back to back) and came every 4 - 6 minutes.
By 12.45pm I thought I'd ring for a midwife to come out, thinking it was all getting way too painful - it felt like my spine was being snapped with every contaction.
Around 2.15pm a midwife arrived and examined me. My contractions were every 4 minutes and I was amazed to be told I was 7 cm's.

Next everything happened at once.
I stood up with a view to turning my baby and as soon as I did my contractions seemed to merge into 1. I couldn't believe how all of a sudden things were happening.
My BP was taken but no-one had a bigger cuff so was probably inaccurate at 150/90. I asked if we were going to hospital to be told we don't have time - we only live 10 minutes away.

While standing, at the end of 1 particularly nasty contraction I felt the need to push so the MW got me back down on the bed for another (very painful) VE.

I was fully dialted, baby had turned (thank goodness) and she could break my waters and baby would probably follow straight away.
So my waters were broken and Abbie arrived with them.
All done without pain relief as the gas and air turned up at the same time as Abbie's head and no tearing, grazing or cutting!

She was born at 3.25pm weighing 7lb7oz's.
There was meconium in my water but it happend as Abbie was born. MW told me that I should be advised to go to hospital but really she would be fine just to keep an eye on her.

So all in all I got the birth that I wanted.

All I would say to all of the "high risk" mums to be out there is do your research, ask questions and then make up your mind.
If you want a home birth and you are not an "ideal candidate" stick to your guns and don't be bullied.
At the end of the day the medical staff are being cautious which they should but we can also make a well informed decision as to where we want to have our babies.

Congratulations! I have a high BMI and want a home birth but coming up against real opposition so it's lovely to hear such a positive story.

Awww Congratulations hun, I had a BMI of 32 on booking in and Ive had scaremongering all throughout my homebirth plans even though I have had nothing wrong so far and BP has always been fine..so FAR. They have only just started taking my plans seriously though and they have booked in my homebirth. Your so right about needing to be well informed, I have done a lot of reading about the risks e.t.c Im so happy that you got the birth you want, and love the name Abbie :cloud9: xx

Congratulations! It takes a lot to stand up to the medical types at times.... I am so glad you did and you got the birth you wanted. :hugs:

Thank you all!

I wanted to put my story on here because when I was pregnant there were very few stories about homebirth and what the medical profession call gestational problems.
I was fed up of everyone trying to scare me out of my plans.

I had to keep in mind all the way through that no-one can tell me where I can have my baby which helped a lot.

I hope it has helped anyone in a similar position to me.
Just remember you are in charge not the Dr's and you know your body best!!!

Congratulations! I have a high BMI and want a home birth but coming up against real opposition so it's lovely to hear such a positive story.

Stick to your guns!
Up until the Thursday before Abbie was born on the Monday I was still being "persuaded" to have her in hospital.

The Dr was even telling me I would have to be induced the following week to which I told them that unless there was a very good medical reason, I would not be induced!

If you need any support please let me know!
xxx

Well done hun - lovely to hear another fab HB story and against all the odds (well the scaremongering to be more precise :D

Well done you!!!! Huge congratulations for sticking to your guns!

I had a similar experiance after being dignosed with gestational dibeties- but still had the home birth I wanted. It was a massivly stressfull experiance before birth; what with all the appointments, so I really symphathise with you there! But in the end totally worth it!!!
There were no complications with myself or the baby.
Noone would say go head in the face of any evidence that you feel unconfortable with - but that is the point (you have made it too), You have to take information, advice and make up your OWN mind!
Thank you for posting this
xxxxx

Well done you for going ahead with the birth you wanted! Congratulations xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back