Honeymoon disaster!

Princesskell

Love my 2 babies
Reaction score
:nope:

Due to go on our honeymoon to Bangkok and Koh Samui on the 15th of April, but there is terrible flooding in Koh Samui at the moment. All the hotels have been flooded and loads of mud slides on the small island. Tourists are queueing to be flown home and 21people have lost their lives.

It is supposed to be the dry season and the island have been surprised by the continuous rain. Travellers are advised not to travel to the island aaarggh! Don't know what to do?

X

Thats terribble hun :nope: I would give ur travel agent a call, they might allow you to change your booking, esp as its your honeymoon. Good luck x

Just been on the phone to the travel agent and they haven't heard anything!?!? It's been all over the news!?! They are going to ring the tour operator and get back to us.

My mum said in 2weeks it could be fine and not to worry? Will not be good baby making in a mud slide disaster zone!!

X

sorry to hear this i hope you can work something out. Can you claim money back on insurance and book somewhere else?

I don't know what would happen as it wouldn't be covered in travel insurance b/c it's an act of god would it?? We are still going shopping today for holiday clothes as we will go somewhere!! Due to start for 3days in Bangkok and it is supposedly ok there so maybe we could extend this or swap the second part with another island that hasn't been affected?

Oh dear!

X

Oh no. I hope it will have cleared by the time you get there. I hope it works out. I know what it is like to be really looking forward to something. :hugs:

Read your travel insurance carefully. I've just had to postpone a trip to japan because of the earthquake. Insurance will cover some of our rearranging costs but not all as we were covered for natural disaster but not nuclear so of course they argue the toss as to what prevented us traveling. As flooding and landslides are natural disaster you may well be covered. Also talk to travel agents it's often possible to change destination/ postpone for very minimal costs.
Check on the fco website, if they advise against travel to your destination you will not be covered by insurance if u do decide to travel. To be honest this was the only thing which stopped carrying on with our holiday as we weren't really going to the most affected areas.
We are still rearranging some of our holiday but we booked it all independantly so it's caused us a little more work than just calling to travel agents.

Sorry for the essay, but I hope some of it's useful. Hope u have a fab honeymoon one way or another x

id say what the girls have said above :hugs: hope they can sort something out, possibly send u somewhere else? cant imagine it would be very nice to go there with it flooded :(

Thanks for the advice. Lil'mole loved the essay!! FCO says situation is improving but still shortage of food and supplies and to keep checking-would hate to postpone as we've waited fir so long, but would hate it to be rubbish!!

Sorry to hear about your trip to japan. OH's parents on world cruise and just missed it-such a horrific tragedy. The world seems to be going crazy at the moment.

Will wait to see what Kuoni say-fingers crossed!

X

Oh no! I'm sure it will all get sorted in time, I can only imagine how frustrating it must be though.

Fingers crossed for you! Glad the essay was helpful:thumbup:
I managed to cheer myself up about my holiday by going for a cheap week in sun last minute!! It really helped and I still get to go to japan later this year. It has delayed ttc but I'm coming to terms with that:brat:

Fingers crossed for you! Glad the essay was helpful:thumbup:
I managed to cheer myself up about my holiday by going for a cheap week in sun last minute!! It really helped and I still get to go to japan later this year. It has delayed ttc but I'm coming to terms with that:brat:

Were you going to ttc in japan or after you'd been? When have you put it off too? Glad you're getting away, bet it has been stressful.

X

I was going to japan with my sister, we've both wanted to go for years and are using some inheritance from our great aunt. Because I'm not going with dh I don't want to be pregnant or have a baby, it's doesn't seem fair on dh, so we were ttc after I got back. Now me n my sis are going in November so I'll be ttc from December. I've been waiting for 3 years already with education, work n what not, so it's only a little longer. Japan is a dream I want fulfill and due to the cost it's a once in a lifetime chance for me.

Really do hope u get to have your honeymoon, and if it has to change I'm sure you'll still enjoy your selves, it's such a special sort of holiday:flower:

Fingers crossed it clears up for you... We went to Bangkok for a 4 nights last October before we went on to Bali for 11 nights. Where are you staying? We stayed in the Millenium Hilton on the Chao Praya River - it was amazing. Bangkok was CRAZY!

So the travel agent rang back today and said apparently tour operator advising to go! They would say that!! Might ring hotel direct and just check that all lovely pool villas we upgraded to are still perched on the hill side and haven't been washed into sea!!

Blaireuk going to bangkok for 3nights and staying in Banyan tree-one with open air restaurant on the roof. Would you recommend any trips or anything while we there? We are doing floating markets one morning and hoping to book the go gibbon thing doing zip wires in the rainforest!

So excited for it, just fingers massively that it stops raining!

X

So the travel agent rang back today and said apparently tour operator advising to go! They would say that!! Might ring hotel direct and just check that all lovely pool villas we upgraded to are still perched on the hill side and haven't been washed into sea!!

Blaireuk going to bangkok for 3nights and staying in Banyan tree-one with open air restaurant on the roof. Would you recommend any trips or anything while we there? We are doing floating markets one morning and hoping to book the go gibbon thing doing zip wires in the rainforest!

So excited for it, just fingers massively that it stops raining!

X

You should make a note of the people that you speak to on the telephone and what they tell you and dates etc. Then at least if things are not ok you can make a proper complaint. I really do hope it all works out for you though :thumbup:

Blaireuk going to bangkok for 3nights and staying in Banyan tree-one with open air restaurant on the roof. Would you recommend any trips or anything while we there? We are doing floating markets one morning and hoping to book the go gibbon thing doing zip wires in the rainforest! So excited for it, just fingers massively that it stops raining!
X

Ohh Banyan Tree is lovely and their rooftop restaurant looks great. We went to Sirocco for dinner one night which is the other rooftop restaurant in Bangkok and it's on the 64th floor of the Dome at Lebua (which is the state tower you'll see from any skyline with the big massive gold globe on the top). It was amazing if a tiny bit frightening being so high up and close to the edge - food was great and cocktails were to die for! Would highly recommend the floating markets at damnoen saduak -they were so beautiful and one of the main highlights of our trip to Bangkok. We did the floating markets in the morning and then onto the River Kwai in the afternoon which was also interesting and worth a visit. We also did a tuk tuk ride - the SCARIEST experience of our life but looking back it is also one of the funniest and it only cost us the equivalent of 75p for almost an hour! A visit to Bangkok wouldn't be the same without a ride in a Tuk Tuk (and everything else that comes with it!) Our visit to the Grand Palace was a disaster - my only advice is go but don't listen to ANYONE who tells you it is shut and wants to take you in a tuk tuk to another palace close by!

You will either LOVE Bangkok or HATE it but either way you'll be very glad you got to experience it!

We went to Sirocco for dinner one night which is the other rooftop restaurant in Bangkok and it's on the 64th floor of the Dome at Lebua (which is the state tower you'll see from any skyline with the big massive gold globe on the top). It was amazing if a tiny bit frightening being so high up and close to the edge - food was great and cocktails were to die for! Would highly recommend the floating markets at damnoen saduak -they were so beautiful and one of the main highlights of our trip to Bangkok. We did the floating markets in the morning and then onto the River Kwai in the afternoon which was also interesting and worth a visit. We also did a tuk tuk ride - the SCARIEST experience of our life but looking back it is also one of the funniest and it only cost us the equivalent of 75p for almost an hour! A visit to Bangkok wouldn't be the same without a ride in a Tuk Tuk (and everything else that comes with it!) Our visit to the Grand Palace was a disaster - my only advice is go but don't listen to ANYONE who tells you it is shut and wants to take you in a tuk tuk to another palace close by! it!

Thank you! We are booked on that floating market-looking forward to it more now! Will def check out other high restaurant. I have heard that scam about the palace three times now!! Is it not shut then? How do you get in?
Tuk tuk added to list too.

I'm hoping we will love it, DH's parents did but my grandparents not so much, but then they were mugged! :nope:
Just crossing fingers for the relaxing week after in koh samui! Better go check weather

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"