Hopsital Bag Questions!

princess1980

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
Hi,

I have to say that I am totally and utterly confused about packing a Hospital bag!!:shrug:

Can you ladies help me with my questions?! :

1. I've seen lists where people are taking pyjamas and a nightie, do I need both? I presume the majority of mums just stay one night, and the nightie is for actual labour?

2. Do I really need a bag for my hubby? We live 10 minutes away from our Hospital (unless we get transferred as there aren't many beds at our Hospital!).

3. Re toiletries, what do I take? Will they let me have a shower? Do I take shampoo or just take some dry shampoo (something i've never used, not quite sure about it!)

Sorry, I know I sound REALLY dense but i've just got myself in a bit of a pickle about it!! :dohh:

1. I've seen lists where people are taking pyjamas and a nightie, do I need both? I presume the majority of mums just stay one night, and the nightie is for actual labour?

yep, the nightie is for actual labour and the pyjamas are for afterwards when you're in the postnatal ward with your baby. Take a couple of pairs because it's likely the first pair will get blood stained (you bleed a lot after birth... way more than a normal period).

2. Do I really need a bag for my hubby? We live 10 minutes away from our Hospital (unless we get transferred as there aren't many beds at our Hospital!).
I'd just pack him some sandwiches. When I first went into labour with my daughter, making the sandwiches gave me something to do to make the time go faster

3. Re toiletries, what do I take? Will they let me have a shower? Do I take shampoo or just take some dry shampoo (something i've never used, not quite sure about it!)
take shampoo and soap/shower gel and your toothbrush and toothpaste. When my daughter was born they let me have a bath afterwards, and then later in the postnatal ward there was a shower

have you had a hospital tour yet? It all becomes clear when you go and see what the process is - we had ours on sat and I am now clearer about what I will need too.

Good questions... I am really confused by this, too. And unfortunately we cannot tour the maternity ward here, to that won't help!

Also take toothbrush/toothpaste and plenty of maternity pads / breast pads. i wouldnt bother taking anything for hubby except maybe some food, if your hospital is anything like mine room size is a bit minimal. Ive put in a couple of extras like tens machine and a pack of playing cards to while away the time!
plenty of pairs of old knickers is also a must, i personally hate the paper version, childbirth is undignified enough without having to wear those awful things!!
xx

the nightie is for giving birth although the hospitals provide one

i don't bother taking a bag for hubby

the toiletries i have packed are : roll on, tooth brush and paste, shower gel, shampoo and facial wipes

works for me but every one is different xxxx

Also take toothbrush/toothpaste and plenty of maternity pads / breast pads.

What does 'plenty' mean? That's been one of my big questions... How many maternity pads, breast pads, and nappies? I should say, what's plenty, without going overboard? (I see some women with these enormous lists and what seems like huge amounts of each item, but I don't have a car so we'll be getting there & home in a taxi and I'd like to keep my hospital bag to a small size, not a full-sized suitcase!)

here is my list - I am over packing as I am assuming I will be a c section though

Face Wipes
Book
Camera
Phone charger
Some change for food/drinks
Snacks
Birth plan
Maternity notes
Feeding pillow
Carriers for washing
Nightdress x2
PJS – 2
Dressing gown
Day clothes
socks
Hairbrush
Makeup
Mini shampoo, conditioner, bodywash and deodorant
Breastpads x 6
Maternity pads LOADS
10 knickers
Nursing bras x2
toothbrush x 1
toothpaste x 1
Clothes to go home
Towel
Flannel
Soap
Anti bac wipe
Lip balm
Flip flops
Pen and paper
camera

What does 'plenty' mean? That's been one of my big questions... How many maternity pads, breast pads, and nappies? I should say, what's plenty, without going overboard? (I see some women with these enormous lists and what seems like huge amounts of each item, but I don't have a car so we'll be getting there & home in a taxi and I'd like to keep my hospital bag to a small size, not a full-sized suitcase!)

all of that has fitted into a sports holdall sized bag - I am taking four packs of maternity pads and a pack of nappies - I figure oh can bring me in more nappies

I have never taken anything for DH, and he hasn't needed it, but then we have never been more than half an hour from the hospital. If you are much further away then I can understand taking bits for him and maybe leaving them in the car. I also labour very quickly and intensly so by the time we get to hospital its full on and all he has time for is to support me. Again if you induced then that is different and you may want to take a couple of bits to while away the time.

I noticed post delivery, a mixture of pj's and nighties were worn, it is personal choice on what you find comfortable. Perhaps take one of each, as previously mentioned blood stains are common and it's nice to have something else to change into if this happens. Another reason to take a nice lightweight dressing gown, to cover anything that does happen while you go and change.

I didn't put shampoo in my bag, I just clipped my hair up while I showered after delivery. I had it ready in a sep bag in case I had to stay in for any length of time. I then didn't have to worry about packing a hairdryer and straigheners. Saying that, I had just washed my hair at early labour stage as I had cooked fish for dinner and thought it smelled!!!! I labour very quickly and 45 mins later I was hung over my bed with contractions drying it as fast as I could and running the straighteners through it so I didn't look too wild.

Hope that helps hun. x

I asked the question about the bag for hubby as well and I decided i will take one because even though you live 10 minutes away, if he gets messy or bloody or sweaty during your labour, he needs to get clean for his own comfort and for pictures. going home to do so would mean 10 minutes there, then shower and dressing time and distractions and then 10 minutes back. So i will be taking him a change of clothes and a few toiletries and just leaving them in the car. Cant hurt to be prepared.

Well if you are going by taxi, i suggest taking the essentials that you will need for your labour, after labour and for baby and then if you have to stay longer, have a bag packed and leave it at home so someone can bring it in for you.

I am taking a pack of 27 nappies (they say aloow for 10 nappy changes a day so if you stay 24 hours you should have 10 plus extra in case you make mistakes) and I havent bought mat pads yet but will be taking one pack if they are like a 20+ pack

Re: pajamas. It's always good to take along an extra pair, above what you think you'll need. I thought I'd be in hospital for 3 nights, but ended up staying for a week. I had only bought two pairs of pajamas with me - my mother bought me another pair when I was in the hospital.

Re: maternity pads, the hospital recommended two packs (of 12) but I ended up using 3 packs in all (hubby had to run out to buy that for me). Again, it's good to have an extra just in case.

I basically used the same toiletries I use at home on a daily basis.

This has been a really useful thread for me. I'm a light packer by nature, so I hate dragging along more than I'll need. The hospital isn't very far away from my house, so I'm not too worried about bringing extras of anything. I can't actually pack a bag yet though, as I don't actually own any of the stuff you guys have in your bags.

Yep, nightie is for labour, PJs for after. I'm taking 2 pairs incase I bleed on one.

I would say yes just incase, because if you're in labour for a long time regardless of how close you live to the hospital I don't imagine you'll want him leaving you.

I think most people get a shower before moving from delivery room to postnatal ward. I'm taking shampoo, facewash and bodywash.

There's my opinions xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->