Hormone levels - help!

Mrsmac02

TTC #1
Reaction score
Looking for any help/advice/info anyone has on hormone imbalance!

I have irregular cycles and very very rarely ovulate, yet my doctor tells me I have 'normal' hormone levels after a recent blood test and ultrasound.

I got her to read the blood results out (she wouldn't give me a copy without a written request?) and said my progesterone is one (one what I don't know). She said that 'could' be normal for some women.

When I asked more, she said well your progesterone can be that low and things can still be considered normal, all depends on where you are in your cycle.

Feel like I went away more confused than I arrived and I'm bashing my head off a brick wall. I've been to the GP twice in the last 12 months and I'm told I will never be entitled to a fertility referral (where they might prescribe something to try and kick start ovulation again) because I already have a child. So the only thing I can do is live with it apparently.

I really have no idea what to do to combat low progesterone or where to turn next.

Help! X

Ugh, goodness that really stinks. D: Is there another GP you could go see? Maybe one that specializes in fertility stuff? (I know your health care stuff if different than in the states)

It honestly sounds like to me that you could possibly have PCOS, which is what I have. In order to be considered for PCOS, who need to have 2 out of 3 of these issues.

1. Lack of ovulation
2. Cysts on the ovaries
3. Hormone issues.

Personally, I have the first 2 and it sounds like you might as well. When did you have the progesterone checked? CD21? Or a different time. If it was CD21 then it probably is NOT a normal progesterone level. Did they check your testosterone, insulin, FH and/or LSH? Those hormones are important to check to see if you have PCOS or not.

Apparently my ovaries aren't cystic, but I do have other PCOS symptoms such as weight gain, facial hair and thining head hair (plus lack of ovulation and potential hormone issues) But again, my insulin levels etc are fine, my thyroid and liver function is fine etc.

I was on day 25ish but that doesn't mean much as I have 60+ day cycles most of the time. So, I guess it could be normal or it could not!

I'm so stumped.

I asked about being referred but basically, where I live in the UK, the only option is gynaecology or fertility referral. I won't be accepted for fertility referal because I'm 34 (too young?!) AND overweight AND have a child already. And all gynaecologist will do is tell me there's nothing they can prescribe that will fix it :cry:

I will need to look for alternatives - maybe herbal remedies or something.

Thanks for the info, it really helped! X

Low progesterone levels can cause troubles in ovulation, getting pregnant and maintaining a healthy pregnancy.
Smoking can reduce levels of progesterone by itself, so stopping smoking can go a long way to helping restore natural progesterone levels. Have a diet rich in grains, fresh fruits and veggies and reduce stress. This can certainly help in raising progesterone levels. Multivitamin supplements including vitamin C, zinc also can be proved beneficial. Chasteberry herb is able to stimulate the pituitary gland, leading to the production of a hormone that signals the ovaries to produce more progesterone. Natural progesterone creams, such as Mexican yam cream seem to be very helpful in creating a proper oestrogen and progesterone balance, since the natural progesterone has the same molecular structure as the one produced by the human body.
However, I insist on consulting your GP before starting any of these alternatives. He would be of course in a better position to guide you on whether these supplements are suitable to you or not.

That's great, thank you! I'll look into all of those things :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->