Horrible, horrible night - PLS read and advise

TennisGal

Reaction score
We had such an awful night last night, and I am crying even as I write this.

I awoke at 04:30 to hear DD making strange noises - I looked into her cot, and basically she was making choking sounds / choking and was bright red. I screamed, picked her up, and DH took her while I called 999.

We were advised to put her on her front, and she started to lose a bit of colour... then when the paramedics arrived, she did a big posset / sick, and regained colour.

We went to the hospital, and the doctor seemed to think all was ok, and that she'd overfed (which she had, two BFs in a couple of hours) and some milk had come up, and she hadn't spat it out.

He said if it happens again, it could be reflux, but he thinks it would have appeared by now...so thought it could be a one off. Which I pray to God it is.

PLEASE has anyone been through similar? I am terrified to sleep now, I just feel shaky and awful. I also shouldn't have given her so much to eat, but she was rooting away.

PLEASE anyone able to provide some reassurance? I haven't stopped cuddling her today!

no advice hun just wanted to give huge :hugs: that must of been really scary :hugs:

Thank you...I'm calming down, and she's having a nap. Was just awful.

oh you poor thing! Bet you were terrified!! If the doctors think it's a one off then i think you will just have to trust his experience and hope it is! And don't feel bad for over feeding her, if she's rooting away we can't not feed them can we! Lol. Just give her lots of cuddles and i'm sure everything will be fine. This could and does happen to anyone at anytime, i always fear it happening as my LO is always bringing up milk and i wonder what will happen the day she doesn't spit it up! It's just so great that you noticed and you were there for her - super mum!

*big hugs* I know it's difficult, but try not to worry and don't let this stop you from sleeping ever again, you caught it once, in the very slim chance it happens again, i'm sure you'll catch it again! Try get some sleep today if you can xxx

Max did this when he was just a few days old. He projectile vomited, choked on it until he went blue and flopped, yet was absolutely fine by the time we got to hospital. They kept him in overnight and monitored his sats and basically told us he was fine and made us feel like we were overreacting! Scariest moment of my life though!

It could be reflux, Max has severe reflux and his started out with overfeeding, which led to lots of projectile vomiting, and the occasional choke/gag moments. It's still scary when he does it now but at least I know how to deal with it.

I wish the Dr's could be more reassuring for you, and you and your DD don't have to go through it again. Keep an eye out for reflux, but it really could just have been a one off moment, and I hope it was!

You poor thing, must have been so frightening for you! A similar thing happened to me on sat, kaiden choked on some gripe water, went bright red and was gasping for about 30secs but it seemed like hours, was so scary! Hope your LO is ok x

:hugs::hugs: U poor poor thing, i bet it was so frightening :hugs::hugs:

Oh you poor thing that must have been so frightening! Its not your fault for over feeding babies dont usually overfeed, dont blame yourself you were just doing what you though she needed.

I have a friend whos LO used to black out because of her reflux but its gradually gotten better since she was little.

thank you all so much - kind words and advice MUCH appreciated :hug:

Seth did this once or twice at 7 weeks old, but it was bile rather than milk, he went really floppy and pale, red hot and gagging, we took him to A&E in an ambulance and they kept him in overnight, said it was a virus and it hasnt happened again since.

If the hospital has told you its ok, or reflux Im sure she'll be fine babe although it is sucha scary thing to see, especially when they're so tiny.

Huge hugs to you & your little one x

:hugs: i bet that was really frightening.

if ur concerned abt it happening again could u put her to sleep on her side for a while? i know a friend of mine was advised to put her LO down to sleep on his side because of reflux?

i hope it was just a one off. try not to worry to the point where u can't sleep...rest assured that mummy instincts will wake u up again (like they did this time) if anything happens again :hugs:

Congrats on your mummy instincts:thumbup: That must have been terrifying - but thank god you were right there for her! I can't even imagine the fear. Good that you had her checked out, and I am glad all is ok.

Giving u hugs no advice but that would sure be scary and leave a mark, double hugs.

No advice, but wanted to offer :hugs: :hugs: - that must have been terrifying!!!
xx

My friends little girl is 7 weeks old and she also has this problem. The doctors seem to think it is caused by reflux and she has been put on baby gaviscon. She has been in hospital with her 5 times now.

Purple_socks is right, you need to trust your instincts, if anything is wrong while you're asleep you will wake up and if it does happen again go straight back to hospital and tell them you need something doing about it.

:hugs: hope it was a 1 off :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->