Hospital Bag

r-s-o

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask all the ladies out there if there is anything they would not go into labour without?

I'm packing my bag, and panicking in case I need something and don't have it?

Any ladies just given birth and would recommend anything in particular?

Good question .. this is my first so have no idea either, have just been reading what to put in my bag.. wrote a list & have packed it according to that, would be good to see if i have missed anything tho!

food and drink - unless you want nothing but tea and toast I'd suggest taking snacky type things and some sweeties - you'll need a quick energy boost at some point!!
Also towel or two as hospital ones always feel like sandpaper and your favourite pillow!
magazines/music something to keep you entertained if things go slowly - I'm not going to bother with a book as requires too much concentration. Double check you've got toiletries and toothbrush (apparently lots of people forget a toothbrush!). Also don't forget maternity pads - hospital will probably have some but best not to rely on it. Oh and nappies, you'll get a couple in the bounty pack but take a small pack anyway!
It sounds like so much stuff and it is - if there's going to be someone with a car hanging around then you could always leave some stuff in the car until you need it so you're not in a bed surrounded by bags and they can take stuff away to the car when you've finished with it! I've got four bags - one for me, smaller one for the baby and partner will have his. The fourth bag will stay in the house by the door and will just have more of the same stuff in case I stay in longer than planned and will save OH having to search for stuff and end up bringing in random items!
There are lots of lists around and I would refer to a hospital list to make sure you've got the basics!
Good luck, I'm packing my bags next week in time for going in for induction so will probably forget at least half of what I need!!
xx

The things i couldn't have lived without last time were:

* A dark coloured towel
* Nice smelling soap for your wash after the birth - can't tell you how much better i felt after my wash in The Body Shop Wild Cherry Soap!
* Warm socks - for some reason my feet were naffing freezing the whole time!
* Lip balm
* Phone charger

Obviously there are all the essentials too but these are the things i'd say i was sooo glad i had with me! I personally didn't take my pillow - too bulky and i didn't need it anyway!

If you're interested i did a little hospital bag list a few months ago...

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnan...etail-therapy-hospital-bag-list-included.html

Bendy straws!! And I have just put a bottle of water in the freezer so I will have it ready to take - can't stand luke warm water so this seems like a good idea (if I remember to pick it up)

I had my baby girl 10 days ago and didn't use much of what i took.

All I used from my labour bag was a straw, my camera and for less than 30 seconds my tens machine (i couldn't stand having it on my back)

From my hospital bag I used toiletries, maternity pads, knickers, socks, pjs, nappies, nappy bags, change mat (i used the one from my boots change bag), muslin, baby grows (I used 2 and was in overnight), going home outfit for both me and Ella, and i think thats about it.

when in labour I couldn't read, listen to music etc. I was kinda out of it a lot of the time. After the birth I was too busy just looking at Ella, taking photos and trying to get a bit of sleep!

Bendy straws!! And I have just put a bottle of water in the freezer so I will have it ready to take - can't stand luke warm water so this seems like a good idea (if I remember to pick it up)

I wrote a list of thigs such as phone charger etc and tied it to my bag with instructions to hubby that it was his responsibility to remember these things on the dash to hospital! Maybe give your mum the same instructions :thumbup: x

Im deffff taking a camera, if not anything else.. I cherish photos and love putting them into albums

wash stuff,underwear,socks,something to keep you entertained i.e mp3,ipod,nintendo DS,magazines,books.

Camera charger in bag....

even if not using for baby - baby wipes for you in the loo

your fav pillow

if having c-section and planning to brestfeed - your feeding pillow

thats all i can think of for now !!

Oh yeah, baby wipes for you! I'm putting a pack in my bag with the toiletries - so much better than hospital loo roll especially when feeling a little bit ummm, tender down there!!

for labour

pair of socks
knee length night dress
bottled water

ive also got 2 pairs of pj's
dressing gown
slippers
mat pads (hosp provides 1 pack but never enough)
BIG knickers!
thin socks (mat hosps are warm)
toiletries
baby wipes (for me)
nappy sacks (for me)
breast pads

4 baby grows
4 vests
1 cardi
scratch mits

hospital provides nappies, cotton wool etc etc

phone (and charger)
camera
loose change
magazines (i found when baby was asleep i just couldnt with all the noise around me)

both our going home clothes will be brought in by OH.

i packed so much more when i had my other 3 kids and found i didnt use half of it, so ive only packed the bare essentials because if all goes well i only need to be in for 24 hrs, 6 hrs depending on time of delivery.

i would also check with your community MW as to what your hosp provides for baby, my hosp provides everything except for babygrows and vest.

hope this helps x

I've popped a pack of antibacterial wipes in - someone mentioned this to me so I could clean the little cot that baby sleeps in. It should be clean anyway but just in case... they're also good for cleaning loo seats.

This is my first baby and I don't have any experience yet, but I did lots and lots of reading on-line and besides what the other mommies said before I am taking some:

- Lanacaine spray (anesthetic/antiseptic)=to spray on episiotomy/tear if is very sore/if any

- a little spray with witch hazel(astringent) to spray on the maternity pads to soothe the swelling and pain/discomfort

- sleeping mask-to cover my eyes, maybe I can get some sleep when baby sleeps(the hospital leaves the baby with the mom at all times)

- ear plugs, in case my husband is watching the baby if I need some sleep after birth

- Lansinoh lanoline-I am planning to breastfeed- to prevent painful nipples

These are some of the items I didn't see in the prevoius posts, the rest are pretty much the same as for everybody else...I assume i got tooo many things with me and I bet I forgot something. but this is my first time, so, what the heck, I will send my hubby to get it !

last time round i hated drinking tea out of those plastic cups- so this time i've ordered one of those enamel mugs (like the men use down the allotments) they are large (pint sized) and keep your tea/coffee hot for a lot longer!

-Also packing a small note book with pen....to keep track of those first feeds. :)

This is my first baby and I don't have any experience yet, but I did lots and lots of reading on-line and besides what the other mommies said before I am taking some:

- Lanacaine spray (anesthetic/antiseptic)=to spray on episiotomy/tear if is very sore/if any

- a little spray with witch hazel(astringent) to spray on the maternity pads to soothe the swelling and pain/discomfort

- sleeping mask-to cover my eyes, maybe I can get some sleep when baby sleeps(the hospital leaves the baby with the mom at all times)

- ear plugs, in case my husband is watching the baby if I need some sleep after birth

- Lansinoh lanoline-I am planning to breastfeed- to prevent painful nipples

These are some of the items I didn't see in the prevoius posts, the rest are pretty much the same as for everybody else...I assume i got tooo many things with me and I bet I forgot something. but this is my first time, so, what the heck, I will send my hubby to get it !

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"