• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Hot chocolate?

LaughOutLoud

Reaction score
I've rally limited my caffeine intake and sometimes it's soooo hard! However, im wondering how safe a cup of Cadbury Instant hot chocolate would be, made in milk. Anyone know how much caffeine it would have?
Thank you x

Should be relatively low. According to Starbucks chart (google starbucks nutrition), one cup of their venti hot chocolate has 30mg caffeine.

I'm a huge hot chocolate fan but have been limiting myself to at most one per day.

Should be relatively low. According to Starbucks chart (google starbucks nutrition), one cup of their venti hot chocolate has 30mg caffeine.

I'm a huge hot chocolate fan but have been limiting myself to at most one per day.

Thanks for your reply. I love tea and hot chocolate. I've just been having tea in the morning but really feeling it tonight.

I think homemade hot chocolate would even have less. I drink it once in a while. Other days I opt for tea or sometimes decaf.

I am glad I got off the caffeine however. I had chronic headaches and aches if I wasn't drinking any :(. I quit cold turkey with pain meds when I ttc-ed.

I really wouldn't worry. You are allowed some caffeine each day, even as much as one coffee, so one hot chocolate sure ain't gonna do any harm!

I had major caffeine paranoia until my midwife calmed my nerves. If you are in the uk it tells you how much you can have in your ready steady baby book.

I've have 2 girls and had 2 coffees a day both pregnancies. I'm now on my third I'm over 5 weeks and have 2 coffees a day, you're allowed 200mg of caffeine daily. Hot chocolate is fine!

I had 1 coffee a day in my previous pregnancy. I was told it was ok and my son was born perfect. Most content baby ever. I can't stand coffee right now but I'll probably drink it if I ever like it again lol.

I have a lot less caffeine this time than I did last time. I was so addicted to caffeine last time that not having at least 4 cups of coffee in the morning and tea in the evening would make me horribly sick. My doctor actually suggested I cut down very slowly. I haven't drank as much since and now I'm not worried at all. I drink a couple cups of tea a day :)

Absolutely fine. So is two small cups of coffee a day x

I've have 2 girls and had 2 coffees a day both pregnancies. I'm now on my third I'm over 5 weeks and have 2 coffees a day, you're allowed 200mg of caffeine daily. Hot chocolate is fine!

I just wanted to note that the 200mg limit was heavily critisized by many health experts that claim it is still too much. There are new studies that link even small amounts to miscarriage or fetal distress, poor fetal growth. 200 is more than two cups of coffee.
Another study showed that oxidized caffeine from coffee or black tea is more dangerous than green tea caffeine.
I think in pregnancy it really is best to do without the caffeine fix every day. The body will adjust to not needing it.
I was a caffeine addict and in my worst times drank 10 cups, I reduced it to 4 before pregnancy. I got the aches I described but was eventually able to reduce it to one cup (!) when ttcing. BUT, as soon as I tried to go without that one cup...by about later afternoon my body would show severe withdrawal symptoms. Sluggish, headache, body aches, general feeling of not being well, cranky...if I drank one cup of coffee it would fix this within minutes! But that is still an addiction...a minor one but nothing you want in pregnancy.
It took me weeks to feel better after I got off but eventually I felt better than I ever could have on coffee. Perfect sleep, energy, mood and I don't even know what aches and pains are anymore.

In the uk 200mg is the officially recommended limit. There are articles stating that pretty much everything is dangerous and articles stating that pretty much everything is safe. Heck, my midwife gives me a chocolate at every week when I'm on the monitors!

I haven't completely cut out caffeine (I drink a small amount of Diet Coke per day, the odd cup of tea and I have chocolate regularly - real good dark stuff lol) my baby is growing perfectly on the 50th centile so caffeine isn't stunting her growth in any way.

Thanks ladies. I gave a large cup of tea in the mornings so thought it's better to skip the hot choc and had Rubens instead. I didn't know of this caffeine rule until this pregnancy (never came across it before)!

I think it all depends on you. My OB said 2 cups a day is fine. Besides its not my first time at the Rodeo lol. I'm on my third pregnancy and I never cut out caffeine. My kids were born big healthy babies :) I wouldn't drink more than 2 but i really don't see the problem. My nespresso are 74mg each so not much at all. Then again, I'm not a big believer of all the crazy food restrictions either... Everything in moderation ladies xx

You can probably find a study that supports whatever it is that you want to do. ;)
I found that commercial hot cocoa has between 5-10 mg of caffeine which is truly tiny compared to the 200 mg daily limit. But I agree limiting your caffeine intake is good because it does generally cause vasoconstriction/less blood flow. (But you would have to drink a lot of hot chocolate to approach one coffee!) I also found some info that generally chocolate can be quite good in pregnancy! Personally I am drinking 2 espressos per day instead of my normal 3 which should amount to about 120mg of caffeine.

In the uk 200mg is the officially recommended limit. There are articles stating that pretty much everything is dangerous and articles stating that pretty much everything is safe. Heck, my midwife gives me a chocolate at every week when I'm on the monitors!

I haven't completely cut out caffeine (I drink a small amount of Diet Coke per day, the odd cup of tea and I have chocolate regularly - real good dark stuff lol) my baby is growing perfectly on the 50th centile so caffeine isn't stunting her growth in any way.

Yup the 200mg recommended limit has been around for a good few years, not a single change in the last 2 years. Stuck with that limit with DS, and doing the same again now. Always seem to crave coffee when pregnant and could never give it up :haha:

Just about every pregnancy site I've been on has hot cocoa on a list of things to help you get through the winter pregnant. I personally went on a caffeine strike while pregnant with baby number one. Aside from the odd sip of coke, or seriously diluted sweet tea (my crutch), I was steadfast and paid the piper with withdrawals.

This pregnancy? My OB pretty much laughed at me when I whined about being back on no caffeine and said to partake in moderation. Moderation for me is a maximum of ONE Coke or Dr Pepper. My sweet tea habits have been curbed to de-caf tea only and made in home so I know it's legit. However, you'd best be believing that on cold nights I'll be busting out the Swiss Miss and marshmallows ;)

Hello... I am taking fertility treatment since last month and follicular study and ovulation and all my scans where really good as my doctor told me and she prescribed me duphaston for 10 days and after that i need to wait for 4 to 5 days and if i dnt get my periods i need to take a home pregnancy test and i am really looking forward that I concieve this month. Since last week i have been craving for dark chocolates alot so have eaten dark chocolate ice cream and other day i have eaten chocolate mousse and today i drank hot chocolate as i was craving for it and now i am worried since i drank it i have been feeling mild pain in my abdomen on and off . I am worried will i start my periods because i have taken lot of chocolate since last week as some say that having dark chocolate or any other chocolate during pregnancy or when trying to concieve will bring ur periods. I m so worried and disturbed since evening.
Can someone please tell me is it harmful to take any kind of chocolate when trying to concieve or during pregnancy. Please kindly reply :)

Chocolate is not harmful in pregnancy or when TTC. Chocolate contains some caffeine so you need to be mindful of how much you’re having alongside caffeinated drinks but it’s a relatively small amount, I wouldn’t worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"