How Are You Handling Cravings?

EarthMama_

Reaction score
Usually I eat extremely healthy: loads of veggies, fruits, raw nuts & seeds, healthy fats, avoid gluten & sugar.

Now I'm eating like a mad woman!

I always imagined myself eating extra healthy when pregnant, not unhealthy.

Are any of you experiencing cravings you haven't had before? How are you dealing with it? I'm almost positive my nauseousness is related to my diet, not the pregnancy.

It doesn't help that I'm traveling in a van in a foreign country at the moment all alone (well, I have a puppy with me and baby in the belly :baby:). I'll be a volunteer in the mountains in Portugal starting Saturday where I'll eat home-grown produce and hopefully stop this nonsense there, but I wish I had more willpower for baby's sake.

Can anyone tell me if it's harming my baby eating sugar and processed foods? Perhaps that will open my eyes.

Thanks so much for any tips and advice, I'm desperate and feel like I'm hosting a horrible baby-temple and feel guilty but still can't stop.

oxx

Luckily, I think you're probably just fine to eat those processed foods. As long as you're taking your prenatal, drinking lots of water, and eating some fruits and veggies here and there throughout the day, you should be fine. It's so hard to eat all healthy foods during the first trimester! It becomes much easier once all this morning sickness clears. With my son I ate pretty much spaghetti and cheeseburgers from weeks 5-13 and from then on I (mostly) are much better. Lots of nuts and veggies. My doctor told me she regularly sees very healthy babies born to teenage moms who ate chocolate bars and pizza for most of their pregnancy. Obviously that isn't the ideal, but I wanted to let you know that what you're doing really isn't bad for baby. Give yourself a break; your baby will turn out just as healthy even if your first tri food choices aren't what you think they should be. First lesson of motherhood: It never works out the way you've planned! Haha.

I'm not having cravings, but I have a lot of nausea and strong aversions to pretty much all food that I would usually eat. We are not strictly paleo, but we eat very little grain products and very little processed food (we are a meat, eggs, fruit, and veggies family!). Since getting pregnant I cannot stomach produce, eggs, or meat, and have been living off of cereal, muffins, rice cakes, crackers, and grilled cheese sandwiches! I cannot wait to be out of this first trimester so I can go back to eating like a normal person, I feel so crappy with all these carbs in my body!

jessmke, I'm the same way with my cravings and I'm diabetic so I sadly can't shove carb after carb into my mouth like I really want to!

Thanks so much you two for sharing your stories. It's such a relief to hear from women with some knowledge or are in the same situation.

I really want to do this right, but there's something that makes me have a sudden aversion to vegetables and a huge craving for sweets. Luckily I'm eating loads and loads of fruit. I forced myself to eat spinach last night as the only vegetable of the day. I did it! A cookie after, but I'm getting there. Baby-steps ;)

The fact that I'm traveling and am living in my camper van looking for a home to buy in Portugal makes it more difficult. If I'm craving a food (I've been wanting Indian food! or my own veggie burgers) I would whip up a healthy version in my kitchen.. but I don't have one yet. Ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->