How are you sleeping??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by rachelleigh, Oct 7, 2013.

1. rachelleigh

rachelleigh Well-Known Member

The past few nights I've been waking up at 1 or 2 am and have been unable to fall asleep again until 5 or 6... It's been miserable. Tomorrow I have to go to work and I'm so scared it will happen again tonight. I toss and turn, try tons of positions... My heartburn has been awful no matter what I try to do for it and I have the craziest dreams that jolt me awake. Today I fell back asleep at 6 when my husband left for work and slept until 10... I feel sick and dizzy today, couldn't manage to get through the dishes I was doing because I felt like I was going to pass out.

Sorry for the long rant... I've felt great for months now and suddenly this starts and I feel like crap. :( Anyone else having sleep problems??

And yes, I'm aware I won't be getting much sleep when the baby is here, I better get used to it, etc... But I'll be feeling much better about sleepless nights taking care of my baby than I am right now.

2. J.D.

J.D. Well-Known Member

Yup. And I'm actually used to it now. I'll sleep from about 10-2, then awake for an hour or two, then asleep again for a few hours and awake again. Sometimes I'm awake more often as well, but those are the times I actually stay awake.

It really sucks, but you'll probably get used to it. Might be worth getting into a good book. :(

3. Foxy37

Foxy37 Well-Known Member

usually wake 3 times for a wee then i wake at 6am as my son has finally got a job but starts early . Then baby wakes up and jiggles around lol xxx

4. Teri7489

Teri7489 Proud mummy

Hey! I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago and it drove me crazy esp when I had work which stressed me right out. What helped me was putting extra pillows under my mattress so I was sleeping at an angle which really helped my heartburn as well as munching a hand full of almonds before bed. I also put a few drops of olbas oil on clean sheets which was relaxing. When I did wake up I popped the tv on. Trying to stay awake makes you more tired and always puts me back to sleep quickly. Remember, even if you only get a few hours sleep you will still manage. It's so frustrating I know, but you will get through! As for the dizzy feeling, are you drinking enough fluids? Eating a good diet? Low blood pressure and blood sugar is usually the cause of those feelings. Hope you get a good nights sleep tonight and manage work ok xxx

5. Joyfulsahm

Joyfulsahm Well-Known Member

I think all the trouble sleeping is an impending sign that the time is near. I've been the same way. But I go to bed sorta late and I wake up around 4:30 or so and it takes me a while to fall back asleep. I've been trying to nap during the day while my husband is working and it helps a bit with the exhaustion.

6. Amsan

Amsan Well-Known Member

Yes! I had this problem for a few weeks actually. It was MISERABLE! I finally started sleeping better within the last 2 weeks or so, even though I was up 5-10 times a night to use the restroom. But even then, I was right back to sleep.

However the last couple nights I've actually only been up 1-2 times to use the restroom, so its improving! Now if I could just keep that heartburn away. :growlmad:

7. Girly922

Girly922 Well-Known Member

Same problem here. If I do fall asleep, I wake up to pee at around 2am then can't get back to sleep until 7am. I've got several friends on Facebook who are also pregnant and having the same problem. To the point that several nights this week we've spent chatting online until 6am because none of us can sleep. So glad I'm not at work now because I wouldn't be able to cope.

8. eew1471

eew1471 Well-Known Member

Thought I'd pop back in on third tri and see how everyone is doing since I spent sooooo much time here recently! Unfortunately that was about the time my sleep pattern changed and sorry to say it only got worse.... Way worse! I think the unintentional anxiety with the worry of repeating a bad night sleep added to the sleep problem and made it more reoccurring. By the time I hit full term (37 weeks) until the end of my 40 + 3 when I delivered, I believe I was down to maybe 3 to 4 hours with being up every hour on the hour for that time frame! On a happier note I was always one of those people that thought I had to have 8 full hours or I couldn't function... It did train me to where I can sleep less and in cycle and be very happy with the sleep I get and not feel deprived at all! This for me is a miracle in itself as I was very afraid of the sleep scheduled that a newborn brings... I guess the saying is true what don't kill us makes us stronger. Also I can now laydown and fall asleep, good sleep, in a timely manner! Good luck ladies and I hope you find the same happiness with your sleep as I have once you deliver! Oh yea my husband is suffering with sleep deprivation, maybe he needed the preconditioning that I received toward the end of my pregnancy. :flower:

9. zanDark

zanDark <3 IVF mom <3

I'm having the same!! I can only sleep 3-4 hour stretches as I wake up to go pee or have to turn sides...and we all know that changing sides gets to be a challenge after a while :haha:

My sleeping pattern is compleeeetely messed up, but I think it's just a preparation for when the baby gets here! I get up around 9-10am, start getting sleepy and tired around 6 pm especially if I've just had dinner and end up sleeping from 7pm - 9 or 10 pm and then stay up until 3am! :wacko: then it's waking every hour or so from being uncomfortable or getting up to pee until I get up in the morning and do it all over again :haha:

I've tried skipping my afternoon nap hoping to sleep longer at night, but once the sleepiness passes I still stay up until 3am :wacko: makes no sense :haha:

10. Moomoo73

Moomoo73 Well-Known Member

Ive been surviving on 3-4 hrs sleep a night for a couple of mths. My pattern is sleep from bout 11.30-12.30 then awake til bout 4/4.30 the youngest wakes between 6-7. I suffer with heartburn, restless legs & cramp. I cant wait to have baby cos I know from previous babies il get more sleep (broken but a couple of hrs more)

11. Sarah_529406

Sarah_529406 Well-Known Member

Yep..going thru the same thing as you...hardly sleeping most nights, cant get comfortable, getting up a million times to pee, and the horrible heartburn... I usually just give up and get up out of bed around 5...been struggling to keep up with my other kids and the housework lately :( ...and I feel the same as you do about the not sleeping when the baby gets here..at least we will be up with our babies and not up just out of pure discomfort

12. Amy89

Amy89 Soulmate, Ollybear, and I

Oh hell, I'm only 2 weeks into the third tri but already having trouble sleeping :( my record is 7 toilet trips in one night, now I wake up every time I have to turn over and literally flip my belly over, have a drink, have a stretch, then get comfy, THEN try and get back to sleep! I'm so it looking forward to getting any bigger! I really feel for you ladies :(

13. adrie

adrie Well-Known Member

I just went on mat leave after nearly 2 years of working overnights, and I tell ya: my sleeping sucks!!! I am 38 weeks today and I am mostly comfortable physically, but mentally, I am still up most of the night until 7 am at least, if not later.

On the plus side, I guess being up with the baby all night won't be too much of an issue...