How bad is pepsi?

AlyssaDeVaul

Reaction score
I know a bunch of caffeine can be bad for the baby but the fizz keeps me less nauseous.
I don't drink a lot of it, only once in a while and I prefer water over anything.
Would a can or two every two weeks be harmful towards my baby?

You can have up to 200mg of caffeine per day when pregnant. A can of soda has 40-45 usually. Soda is not very healthy, but not dangerous to the baby like alcohol.

I drink soda every day, have in all my pregnancies. I try and keep it under 100 mg of caffeine, unless I occasionally go over.

I need the caffeine, I have a 3 and 1 year old!

Hey, have you ever tried LaCrois? It's not sweetened at all, just sparkling water and fruit essence. There is also unflavored sparkling water. I live off of these things to help curb nausea if i eat too many carbs. Personally, I know what Most Soda does to our bodies, and I'd really hate to expose my babies to it. Occasionally, like you said, sure. It probably won't cause harm.

I just don't like to put chemicals into my pregnant body or my kids' bodies. Now, of course many people aren't as concerned about chemicals and food dyes as I am, but I figured I'd give my opinion. You've gotta do what you've gotta do to keep yourself from feeling sick.

I really tried not to drink soda with my first, and watch my diet for artificial flavors and eat super healthy, and I ended up with severe pre-eclampsia and a preterm birth.

With my second, I practiced moderation in healthy foods and less healthy comforts. I had a healthy successful VBAC. I also had to start taking anxiety medication towards the end.

When I read posts like the one right above this, it is the kind of thing that made me have to take anxiety medication. For goodness sake. We already have to abstain from alcohol, good painkillers, good cold medicines, bloody meat, cold cuts, strong coffee, don't make people feel guilty for having a freaking soda.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't worry about a having a can of soda every now and then! As long as it isn't your beverage of choice, and I know that isn't the case for you, you are doing nothing wrong to your baby! Don't starve yourself of every pleasure, and please don't let people make you feel bad about indulging in something that is generally recognized as harmless in moderation. Yes, there's a lot of sugar in soda, but it's no different than having a candy bar or piece of cake as a treat. And caffeine is fine under 200mg a day. I try to keep it under 100 personally, but it's all personal choice. It's way less than that in a can of coke anyway. Good luck, and enjoy your treat!
FYI, if you find you need fizzy drinks a lot due to nausea, as pp said, carbonated water helped me a lot.

Agreed with everyone. The caffeine and sugar is not ideal, and try to stick to one can or less a day. And definitely agreed with trying carbonated water. Hope you feel better soon!

Although not ideal it's not like you're downing a ton of soda, and if it helps the nausea I think it's well worth it. I would just keep an eye on how much caffeine you're in-taking through the day.

There is also non caffeine soda options like ginger ale (ginger also will help with nausea). Root beer and 7up or Sprite also don't have caffeine. But there is still a lot of sugar in these drinks.

My doctor says at this point just eat and drink what you can and what makes you feel better. I am not beating myself up about the amount of carbs I'm eating because that's all I can do. Now, I personally can't drink caffeine because of a bladder condition, but I think it's fine to have one or two a day. Maybe get the caffeine free options if you're concerned, they make one for Pepsi. I personally can't stand the taste anyways so none of that works for me...wish something would.

I agree with MissPriss, trying to go overboard causes more harm than good, it's unrealistic for most people and not a healthy balance. I drink 2 cans of Pepsi Max (English version, around 40mg caffeine each) per day and a caffeinated tea. I keep below the recommended limits and have done so in all my pgs. All my babies have been healthy and good weights.
Honestly, depriving yourself of everything you like will make you miserable and depressed. I have gestational diabetes this time round and it's soul destroying to have to obsess over everything you can eat and drink. We give up so much already, a few sodas will not harm you or baby whatsoever. The diet sheet I was given for my diabetes listed diet soda as one of the drink suggestions given by the hospital, so it can't be that bad, can it?
Try to keep your diet as realistic as possible, don't end up obsessing or you could end up going too far the other way and depriving yourself and baby in other areas xxxxx

I drank a medium coke almost every day in my first trimester, and my baby is healthy and ahead at 23 weeks. I also have a high heart rate and still drink it, so it's definitely a habit that I'm not breaking. I think Pepsi has even less caffeine content than regular Coca Cola, but don't quote me on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->