How can a midwife tell?

Leanne&Bump..x

Mam of Karl & a Pup x
Reaction score
I have my 31 week appointment today, but i was just wondering, i dunno if shell check today or wait untill im further...how can the midwife tell if the baby is breech or what position they are in :S Very confused?

i think she can tell by feeling your tummy xx

Yep they feel... The first time I was checked though was at 32 weeks when I went to the hospital. And they didn't check again until my 36w appointment because the baby can move so much before then.

I have know for the past few weeks that his head is down but not engaged, they felt him and that is how they know and put ceph on my notes!

x

Rright, i just feel as if noone i am seeing is telling me anything cos i am young, any scan i have had they havent told me how big my baby is, when my bump was measured didnt give me any clue as to how big he is or anything..just usually hear his heart then they send me away haha

Yeah they can check now but theres still a bit of room for them to move about so its nothing to worry about at the moment. They'll keep checking at every appointment too.

xx

normally when they dont tell you measurements it normally means everything is on track she will prob only tell you if baba is measuring bigger or smaller but you could always ask her hun if you wanna know.
but yeah they're trained to feel your tummy & be able to know how your baby is lying, if they are unsure on anything they will book you in for another scan.

xx

Rright, i just feel as if noone i am seeing is telling me anything cos i am young, any scan i have had they havent told me how big my baby is, when my bump was measured didnt give me any clue as to how big he is or anything..just usually hear his heart then they send me away haha

I find that a lot of midwives/doctors dont tell you anything unless you ask. Dont be scared to ask.. its your body and baby and you have every right to be nosey :)

anyone who has a problem telling you anything regardless of your age isn't doing their job properly. :hugs:

Right so basically if they dont tell me anything it means everything is finee...sorry for going on blamee it onthe hormones haha..thanks for your help!x

Yep, doctors and nurses are busy and dont always think to tell you. But will usually tell you if you ask.

The scans they do in the beginning wont mean much to you measurement wise anyways, all it is is measurements in cm's on the baby to make sure everything is growing like it should.

Here they dont do growth scans at the end unless there is a problem. Some places do do growth scans, but they usually arn't until 35-37weeks.

When they measure the bump they are measuring fundal height, which is the height of your uterus, it can be 3cms off without concern either way....

Just ask your doc about things if you want to know. Mine doesn't say anything either lol.

What does "ceph" mean? I just noticed MW had wrote that in my notes about how the baby was positioned but I have no clue what that means.
xx

What does "ceph" mean? I just noticed MW had wrote that in my notes about how the baby was positioned but I have no clue what that means.
xx

Hi hun

This webbie shows a pic of a baby when its Ceph

https://www.pregnancyquestionsandanswers.com/questions/qu_1181-what-does-presentationceph-mean.html

It means head down and NOT breech xx

xx

Hi hun

This webbie shows a pic of a baby when its Ceph

https://www.pregnancyquestionsandanswers.com/questions/qu_1181-what-does-presentationceph-mean.html

It means head down and NOT breech xx

Ohh thanks! I really didnt know he was head down!
Thanks very much for helping :)
xx

I only found out my baby was lying with his head down when i paid for a 4d scan..i just got back from mw,asked about measurements, she said i wont need a growth scan cos my bump is bang on average, then she had a look though my past scan records and told me his size is right in the middle of the average margin...so hes average, whatever average is!

All of these things should be written in your notes, any measurements taken etc. Have a good look through them and if there are any terms you don't understand someone on here will know!

Like the others have said if there was anything to be concerned about the MW would tell you.

As for baby's position, they can change a lot even now. Mine has been transverse for quite some time but my MW insists they won't worry about the position until 36 weeks.

If you're ever not sure about anything at your antenatal appointments don't be afraid just to ask the MW. How big was my fundal height? Is it normal? Or whatever.

The only measurement i can find in my notes is cervix height which is at 32cm..thats it..thanks for your help.

they havent written anywhere what position he is lying in, mabye they dont do that till the 34wk appiontment (my next app)

My LO was breech at 31wks and the midwife wrote in my notes breech in big letters and underlined it.
It should tell you everything in your notes, blood pressure, baby's position, if your urine is ok, bump measurements etc

My LO was breech at 31wks and the midwife wrote in my notes breech in big letters and underlined it.
It should tell you everything in your notes, blood pressure, baby's position, if your urine is ok, bump measurements etc

I know, i thought they should be telling me, but ive read and re-read, they have only put in my bump measurement, urine sample result and my blood pressure, then wrote that i am well but tired. that is it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->