how can bf be ready

lucy_smith

Reaction score
For a mortgage but not ready for marriage?
Am I being completely ridiculous? Or have I missed something?

I always wanted to get married before actually buying a home. I figured I wanted the lifetime commitment before commiting myself to a mortgage ? Am I being ridiculous? Am I completely missing something obvious? Any opinions on mortgage before marriage and vice versa?

My boyfriend and I have just got a house with a mortgage and he mentioned that this is more of a commitment than marriage!! I don't feel it is....I haven't made an emotional commitment to him the way you would in a wedding. Mortgage is more businessy....I don't really know how to explain it.....

My oh has a mortgage and neither of us want to get married yet. We are just waiting for oh to get permanent contract again then we are going for a joint mortgage, we want to get married one day but right now the time isn't right for us to spend a fortune on getting married when we would like to create a lovely family home for us and our future children I reckon another few years before we consider getting married

My OH and I bought a house together back in October. We weren't engaged at the time, but had talked about it a lot. He knew that I felt it was ridiculous that he'd buy a house with me, but not want to get married yet. Throughout the whole process, we had a lot of ups and downs in regards to him proposing. I told him I couldn't buy the house and make that big of a commitment without knowing he wanted to get married/engaged in the near future.

He proposed 3 weeks after we moved in. :thumbup:

Our wedding is in April, so it was like 16 months for the engagement.

My OH and I have talked a lot about engagement and weddings...he even went so far as to tell me to book the venue I want on the day we have decided on....he is just waiting for the right time and place for the official proposal....so mortgage is coming first for us.

He wouldn't be getting a mortgage with you if he wasn't in it for the longhaul!!

I guess my views are sort of old-school, but I feel at least an engagement commitment should come before a mortgage. That's just me, though.
I don't judge! To each their own.
Good luck!

Well I think that most mortgages of 25 years last longer than most marriages these days, so I see taking a mortgage together as a big commitment. It's also easier to untangle your marriage than it is to untangle your finances one they have been weaved together. I'm a practical person though, so to me bringing assets together is just as important as marriage - remember some people are married but have separate financial affairs, which I could never be happy with. We are married and everything - bank accounts/loans/insurance policies etc- are all joint too.

We got a mortgage before we got married. OH proposed on our first Christmas in our own home.

Personally I think it makes more sense to save for a house before saving for a wedding and I agree it's more of a commitment.

We got married before we bought our house, but we rented together for a few years before buying. If he hadn't wanted to marry me, I wouldn't have bought a house with him, simple as. If he couldn't commit to me, why would he want to commit to a mortgage or children with me?

That said, both of us think that marriage is really important in a relationship, and I think if one of us hadn't felt that way, i.e. not seen it as important or was specifically against it in general, it would have been a sign that we weren't compatible as a couple and needed to think through what we actually wanted long-term. If neither of us felt so strongly about being married, then we probably would have just saved up straight away for a house deposit rather than getting married first.

I agree with MrsHM about it being easier to legally dissolve a marriage than it is to untangle finances, but for me the emotional commitment of getting married had to come before getting a mortgage together.

So no, I don't think you're being ridiculous at all. Do you know why he doesn't want to get married yet? I had to wait a while for my husband to propose (he proposed on our 6th anniversary) because he wanted us to be not living with his dad, and both in well-paying jobs, and that took a while - we were long distance for the first 3 years, and then we had periods where I was a student and he was made redundant, so it took a while to get all our ducks in a row. Once we got it all sorted, though, he proposed, and we were married 8 months later. We bought our house a year after the wedding.

It was frustrating for me to wait so long, but I knew his reasons were good and valid ones that I agreed with, so I waited with as much good grace as I could muster, lol. Maybe you need to have a chat with him and see what he's thinking about it all? It does sound like he's ready to properly commit to you if he wants to get a mortgage with you, but if you each have different priorities, i.e. you want to get married first, he wants the house first, you need to reach an agreement on which you do first and why, so you're both happy.

Best of luck, I hope it all goes well :flower:

i think everyone does things very very differently. As I said above we live together in his house now and joint mortgage coming soon, however the rest of our finances are separate. if i do the food shopping i pay and he pays back half of it, the bills come out of his bank account (because he lived here before me) and i pay him half. even when we have children and get married we will have a joint account for bills and childrens stuff and mortgage etc but the remainder of the money will be what i earn i spend what he earns he spends.

one day when we do eventually get married it will be special because we will do it because the time is right not because we have to get married before we do other things.

i dont think there is a right or wrong way to live your life because its YOURS if you feel you should get married before you buy a house together then make sure you tell him so.

one thing i am curious about though (and dont want to start a debate please) but the ladies that take a marriage before mortgage stance do you also have a marriage before babies view?
I used to have a very traditional view and wanted to do the house marriage then babies but as i got older that faded however i have a friend that takes the marriage before mortgage view but she doesnt think she needs to be married before having a baby? if you want marriage before one then why not the other? will be interested to hear your views on that
xx

i think everyone does things very very differently. As I said above we live together in his house now and joint mortgage coming soon, however the rest of our finances are separate. if i do the food shopping i pay and he pays back half of it, the bills come out of his bank account (because he lived here before me) and i pay him half. even when we have children and get married we will have a joint account for bills and childrens stuff and mortgage etc but the remainder of the money will be what i earn i spend what he earns he spends.

Absolutely, life would be boring if everyone thought the same! I don't think there's one right way to do things either - I'm not bothered or offended at all by people doing things differently to me...I sometimes wish that what I do didn't interest certain people (some family members) quite so much, though!

Our finances are similar to yours - we have joint accounts/policies for most things, but we each have separate savings accounts (ISAs, so they can't actually be joint accounts anyway) and current accounts. We each pay into a joint account for shopping, bills, house stuff etc, but whatever's left over in my account is mine and what's in his is his, and we do what we like with it. Admittedly it mostly goes into savings, but e.g. I pay for all the car stuff because he doesn't drive, and we each use our own money for clothes, nights out, etc. If one of us wants to buy something big, e.g. recently he got a new bike, I've replaced my laptop, we discuss it even though we're spending our own money, but that's mostly to make sure we're making sensible decisions, rather than 'asking permission'.

one day when we do eventually get married it will be special because we will do it because the time is right not because we have to get married before we do other things.

i dont think there is a right or wrong way to live your life because its YOURS if you feel you should get married before you buy a house together then make sure you tell him so.

one thing i am curious about though (and dont want to start a debate please) but the ladies that take a marriage before mortgage stance do you also have a marriage before babies view?
I used to have a very traditional view and wanted to do the house marriage then babies but as i got older that faded however i have a friend that takes the marriage before mortgage view but she doesnt think she needs to be married before having a baby? if you want marriage before one then why not the other? will be interested to hear your views on that
xx

I'm also not trying to start a debate, but we definitely didn't feel like we 'had' to get married before we could buy a house or have a baby...for us, it would have felt unnatural doing it any other way. As I said above, that doesn't mean I think anyone else is wrong for doing it differently! That was just what applied to us and our situation.

I do have a 'marriage before babies' view too, as far as me and my husband are concerned ONLY, and that's partly because of my Mum, she's very traditional and I would have been ostracised from the family had I got pregnant outside of wedlock. I got enough grief for living with hubby before we were married, never mind adding a baby to the mix! Her views have probably contributed a lot to my own views of how I should live my life, and probably to how strongly I feel about being married. But I still see marriage as a positive thing, and not something that 'has' to be done so other things can happen.

My parents are still married after nearly 40 years together, so perhaps that has also contributed to how I feel about marriage in general. My husband's parents, though, divorced when he was very young, and he's seen his Dad go through more failed marriages, but he also (surprisingly, perhaps) still sees marriage as a good thing. We tell each other all the time how lucky we feel to be married to each other, and it's the best thing we have done for our relationship.

But for everyone else in the world...get married, don't get married, have kids before or after getting married...seriously, whatever works for that couple! No-one has the right to say what anyone else should do with their lives. If marriage was the key to a happy relationship, no-one would get divorced. I have seen friends and family in all sorts of permuations and combinations of relationships, with and without kids, and it all very much depends on the two people involved as to whether or not it will work, rather than on what order they get married/have kids/buy a house in, or whatever.

(Wow, that was a bit of an essay, wasn't it?! I'll shut up now...:blush:)

I agree with all ur views and good for u for doing it the right way for u.

I understand what ur saying that u married before moving in because that's what felt natural, some people though I feel that they get married because they want to move in together or have a baby do think oh I have to get married first so let's just do it now. I dont disagree with people doing it because that's how things turned out but I hate seeing people do it because they feel they have to, 9 times out of 10 it eventually ends in divorce because they weren't ready. It sounds like u were ready and it was just the natural course of things that happened. Both my parents are on their 3rd marriage so maybe I don't see it that way due to that who knows.

I like that uv stayed true to the marriage before .... Good for u xx

I initially wrote some monster of a post but here is the condensed version believe it or not..

My partner and I aren't married but we live together and all of our finances are combined. That sort of happened by accident though. I was living in Oz he was in the UK so I had to decide to leave my life in Oz and move back to the UK for a relationship with him. Then we moved here where I can't work (don't speak Danish) so I'm doing a free masters and he supports us both. It was either that or I stay in the UK. I felt I had to ask his permission for ages before spending money which annoyed him as he says it's not his, it's ours. We are a team. It works for us :flower: One day I might be the one supporting us both financially.

I personally see a mortgage as a bigger deal than a wedding as mortgages can be hard to get rid of! We are not too fussed about marriage. We live abroad from our families and it would take too much coordination to organise a wedding now, and all our family have jobs etc we'd have to work around. I'd happily marry him with no one present but his mum and sister would kill us if we did that! We are also planning a baby before we get married. I genuinely don't think being married to him would change my feelings at all, I already can't see a life without him in it. I wont change my surname and I will still be a 'Ms' but the hospital rights would be great. It's hard to explain but I gave up my life in Australia to be with him, and then he agreed to financially support me here.. We've already had big tests on whether we want to commit to one another or not and we've always chosen 'yes'. Our families have already seen us commit to each other in these ways so standing up and saying I do.. it feels like we've already basically done it, and our only reason for not being married it it's a bit awkward to do where we are and we are busy. I have no doubt at all that we are as committed as a married couple. I'm rambling sorry.

I'm trying to talk my OH into getting a mortgage but have made it pretty clear that marriage isn't something I'm interested in right now. I guess I kinda feel that if you're going to stay with someone it doesn't matter when/if you get married, at the end of the day nothing really changes and right now I can think of more important things to be spending money on! But I'd quite like to get in there on the property ladder and get everything moving!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->