how can it be sooo hard to volunteer???

Discussion in 'Work & Finance' started by lynne192, Jun 3, 2011.

1. lynne192

lynne192 mum 2 James & Libby

need to find some volunteer working in care system such as hospital or case home etc but there is nothing i thought people/places would be glad to have a free slave for the next year?

2. toffee87

toffee87 Well-Known Member

What about applying for care jobs?

3. lynne192

don't have the right skills yet i am starting nursing course and need at least 6months experence in the care system such as hospital nurse or care home... i dunno what to do i have already emailed alot of companies and charities etc.

i dunno what to do you'd think most places in care would be be happy to accept free help?

4. toffee87

I started care with no experience. Can you drive?

5. lynne192

not yet :( i need to work in a care home under a nurse or in a ward in the hospital to get the right level of ecperence along with learning to drive.

6. indy and lara

indy and lara Well-Known Member

Have you tried Volunteer Scotland?
    https://www.volunteerscotland.org.uk/Home/

The problem usually is that you need disclosure checked and trained and people can be a bit reluctant to do that if they know you won't be around long term.

7. lynne192

i got a full disclosure i used to work for the government lol :D needed one for that plus they get you to do one before you can even train to be a nurse here. but anyways thanks think i signed upto that sign but will check anyways thanks :D xxx

8. toffee87

Crb's aren't transferable x

9. lynne192

Whats CRB? and why would it be transferable? sorry lost me.

10. toffee87

Criminal record check, they just aren't. I changed jobs three times within a year, and had to have one each time.

11. indy and lara

indy and lara Well-Known Member

Yip, Disclosure is likely to be have to be done again. I am a teacher and have a full enhanced disclosure. However, last year I did something which needed you to go through disclosure and I had to do it again.

12. superbecks

superbecks Well-Known Member

Yep the CRB will def have to be done again. Why do you need 6 months experience before you start? They are normally happy with a week or two for nursing?!

13. lynne192

because uni is sooo competeitive nowadays they want the people with the best so i have to learn to drive, and have 6months care experence for it, which is fine it means i will know what i am doing and get a good feel of it before anything which i like. and have contacted few nursing homes and since my Full scottish disclosure is less than 6months old they are happy to take it since its clean. i dunno why they done that but they said because its a full disclosure that was fine.... i have first aid experence too so alot of the nursing homes are now starting to get back to me, but my MIL wants to to try and get into somewhere thats NHS run... so we'll see.... going to try the local hospital. one of the hosptials that i would have been able to help out in is closing at the end of the year so they could only offer me 3-4months max so will have to see what else is going.....

thanks guys for all your help

14. Wirral_Kitty

Wirral_Kitty Well-Known Member

15. lynne192

thanks will check it out when i get home

16. Wellington

Wellington Mum of 3!

Hi,

I had the same problem when I was trying to get into medicine.
    To start off with I did manage to get some volunteer work at a local hospice - they have part time medics and full time nursing staff - so that might fit the bill. However, they did have a lot of volunteers and were trying to get me to do gardening and other stuff they needed done. In the end I was 'bank' for their evening dinner and tea rounds - which was a road in. It wasn't medical practical but it was good for contact with patients, relatives and general caring (although no hands on HCA work as such). If I'd lived in the area longer I probably coul dhave asked just to shadow the nurses too on occasion - espaccially if they knew what you were doing it for.

Good luck - I know it's a nightmare!!

17. lynne192

thanks for your advice i might contact some local hospice's and see if i get any answer from there waiting till my printer is up and running

thanks for your help and advice :D xxx