How can you tell if...

P

punk_pig

How can you tell when 5 month old is hungry?

I've been confused about LOs hunger signs for a while now and end up feeding to the clock mostly as her grouchiness is so non specific. She doesn't do any of the things a newborn does to show you they are hungry. She is always overtired as she rubbish at napping so by the end of the day I just keep putting her on the breast at random moments to stop her grizzling.

I also don't know when she has finished a feed as she stops sucking to look round etc almost immediately but seems annoyed if I put my boon away and that can go on for hours on end!

It is really hard at that age! One minute you think they are starving, the next they have been distracted by a fleck of dust! Constantly sucking on anything they can get their Han on, teething, various developmental spurts etc etc etc!

I found a bit of clock watching, keeping feeds quiet and distraction free, lots patience and days when boobs were out constantly. I didn't really learn her hunger signals until she started signing!

Hope it passes quick x

Well we are doing signing but she is hardly ever concentrating on me when I'm doing them (the world is too interesting) so don't know when she'll learn!

I have absolutly no idea! Erin never asks anymore, but seems hungry. When I try to feed her, she will go for a few minutes then stop, too busy looking at our exciting life!! I too, tend to clock watch a little bit - try to feed her between 3-4 hours unless she asks before :wacko:

Both my DD's rub there left ear/side of face when they're tired and the right when they're hungry, this is also true of my friends little girl, not sure if all babies do it but worth looking out for?! :)

My LO is a bit younger than yours but I'm already finding it a but hard to work out when he's hungry. My theory is, when in doubt offer the boob. When he starts to grizzle I think if he's hungry he'll feed, if he's tired he'll go to sleep and if he's bored he'll stop feeding and have a chat to my boob :rofl:

I also find it hard! As a general rule I feed as soon as we get up then I know she will be good for 3-4 hours so any crying in between is likely to be tiredness rather than hunger. Sometimes though she cant sleep without the boob and I end up giving it early anyway, I'm also an 'If in doubt, give boob' kinda gal :winkwink: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->