How could I be so so stupid? Worst mum ever

kellie_w

Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys
Reaction score
I can't believe What I have done. I forgot to close the stairgate at the top of our stairs this morning and Luke fell. He is fine, cried for a couple of minutes, had a cuddle and then went of to play again. He has no bruises or bumps and I know how lucky I am for that but I can't stop worrying. How could I have been so stupid? I am so cross with myself, I can't stop crying and feel so ashamed that I spend every day protecting and looking after him and then allow this? :cry:

Sorry for the post, I just need to let out how I feel

:hugs: we all make mistakes hun, its easily done, must admit ive done it plenty of times when im just running up or downstairs to quickly grab something.

Im glad hes okay, try not to beat yourself up to much :hugs:

oh hun i know exactly how you feel. in our old house we didnt have a banister and one time my DH was carrying her down the stairs and slipped and she fell. we were all crying! if you are worried I would take him to A&E, we did- but she was fine (despite smacking her head off a table in the waiting area and cutting herself :dohh:) we all have these moments, i also let her roll off the sofa once too. i know it's hard and you keep replaying it over and over in your mind but the bottom line is, he is fine! :hugs:

:hugs:
Abigail fell down stairs the other day too, luckily only the bottom few steps as she is pretty good with stairs now but I hadn't realised I had left the gate off, same as you and she lost her footing near the bottom. I felt horrible, but I know loads of other people who have done the same. They tend to be more relaxed and not tense up like adults when they fall, so do much less damage than we would. Don't beat yourself up over it, we all make mistakes. Xx

:hugs:

We all make mistakes hun it's part and parcel of being a parent. Aslong as you keep an eye on him which I'm sure you will he'll be fine. Lots of cuddles and he'll soon of forgot about it.

I think things like this bother us more than it does them :hugs:

Oh sweetie...it's OK!!! He is fine. You know how many times the gate has been accidently left open in our house?!! Honestly, I don't think there is a mother out there who hasn't done that at least once...whether or not they fell down the stairs. It happens. There will be lots of bumps and bruises to come. :hugs:

Our dirty little secret is that my husband was with baby when he fell off the bed, and I was with him when he fell off the couch, IN THE SAME WEEK!! I felt awful, I was cooking dinner, had my back turned. He can get on the couch now and can get off, so wasn't too worried, until he decided to get off the couch from the side, into a toy bucket :( And the bed incident, dad was putting a shirt over his head, and bonk, baby tumbled. It's been a rough week around here to say the least.

How scary. Glad he's ok.

Ian once left the stairgate open which leads from the lounge out into the hall and I came back from the loo to find Fin sat HOLDING A SAW. A full sized saw. We're SOOO lucky he didn't grab it differently or try ot put it in his mouth. Stupid Ian leaivng the gate open AND a saw in the hall. MEN!

How scary. Glad he's ok.

Ian once left the stairgate open which leads from the lounge out into the hall and I came back from the loo to find Fin sat HOLDING A SAW. A full sized saw. We're SOOO lucky he didn't grab it differently or try ot put it in his mouth. Stupid Ian leaivng the gate open AND a saw in the hall. MEN!

Something scary like that happened with us today.

I was just holding Alexa while I washed my hands in the sink, not realizing I had left the butcher knife on a towl by the sink to let it dry off from the wash.

And suddenly I saw butcher knife blade go infront of my face!!! I nearly had a heart attack!! She had grabbed the massive knife properly and just flung it around. In just those few seconds something very bad could have happened. I am very thankful.

And with the stairs. I'm sorry it happened. :( Falls are going to happen, whether it be regular falls or stair falls, even though stair falls can be alot more scary.

Today I fell with Alexa when I was carrying her and tripped over one of her toys. Her head hit the floor and I was in hysterics and scared to death. She is just fine though. Our children have hard heads for reasons like these I guess. It is deffinately a terrifying and upsetting moment. I cried for a good 30 minutes even though she cried for maybe 30 seconds..

Hugs hun..we have all done some thing along these lines. Glad hes ok

Thanks ladies, its the first mistake I have made and it really hit me hard. I just keep thinking how bad it could have been, and the thread this week that someone wrote on here about being more observant because of the baby taken away by social services really scared me as that was also a accident.

I can't believe after just checking that he doesn't have a single bruise still. I thought something would have appeared by now but nope.

Thank you so much for all your kind words and for also sharing your stories too. Our little monsters are just too quick now and don't miss a thing! And to think this time last year I couldn't wait for crawling/walking! X

The main thiing is is that he's okay x I've left the stair gate open before and got a right rolicking off my OH!!!! It happens!

If it makes you feel better, my OH gave Tom a black eye on christmas day last year as he fell head first over the arm of the sofa on to a wooden floor :(.......... a yr on and all forgotten, no lasting effects

If you are the worst mum ever i think that means we all must be!

Dont worry over it now hun. It has passed and LO is okay. We all make mistakes and over and over.

We are all learning too!:hugs:

I did the same when Alfie was probably same age as your LO.

I'd had quite a bad night & was soo tired. I was cleaning upstairs & Alfie was playing on the landing, next thing i know is he is screaming & i can hear thud thud thud. I ran & he was at the bottom of the stairs. I was in such a state it was awful. At the bottom of our stairs we have a tiled floor which he has hit & he had a masive line across his forehead where he hit the bar on the bottom stairgate :(

He was fine tho, cried for a minute or two but then was fine. I seriously learnt my lesson after that & i tought him how to come down the stairs properly.

:hugs: accidents happen. this happened to me when kyle was about 2. we had only one stair gate, at the bottom. put kyle to bed, i ran down the stairs to bring stair gate upstairs, as i was removing it as fast as i could but of course panicing slowed me down. kyle popped out of his room, stood on the top of stairs and sat down. sigh of relief from me while saying "dont move dont move" which of course he didnt do and rolled down the stairs!!! i tripped over the stair gate to get him. he didnt cry but giggled hysterically and shouted gan gan - his words for again again - and pointed up the stairs!!!

:hugs: You are not the worst Mum, lol. I've done it too, it's just luck that Douglas hasn't fallen down the stairs. I give OH a bollocking for doing it, but I do it myself sometimes too! :blush:

We've had a few lucky escapes - we're about to put a stairgate across the utility room door to avoid any more!

Oh sweetie...it's OK!!! He is fine. You know how many times the gate has been accidently left open in our house?!! Honestly, I don't think there is a mother out there who hasn't done that at least once...whether or not they fell down the stairs. It happens. There will be lots of bumps and bruises to come. :hugs:

Well said!

Completely agree :hugs:

How scary, so glad he's ok hun. We all make little mistakes sometimes, no harm was done so just try to forget about it :hugs:

:hugs: Daisy fell out of bed last night, things like this happen to everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->