How do I deal with this news? :(

canadabear

Reaction score
Not sure where to begin... My mother has terminal colon cancer. She recently stopped chemo treatment and has been given roughly 6-8 months to live.

This is so painful and unfair. Everytime I look at DS I can't help thinking he won't have any memories of her. And the idea of having a baby that she will never meet.....so hard to even think about.
My poor younger brother, just got married and found out they are about 2-3 weeks pregnant. I could almost see his mind doing the calculations and realising, in all probability, she will never meet his first child.

I feel so lost... was looking forward to TTC next July/August...now just not sure if anything.....

I'm so sorry to hear that news Hun. I recently went through something similar except it was my grandfather that was sick. My husband and I were about to start trying to conceive and then we found out that my grandfathers cancer has gotten worse and was terminal. We put everything on hold. We were so devastated, I couldn't imagine having a baby and him not being to meet them. It has now been almost a year since his passing, we are about to start trying again, the way I look at is if we fall pregnant, then I know he will have met our little one even before we do because he will meet them with god before god sends our baby to us. I know it's hard to imagine having a little one your mum may not be able to meet, at the moment it's probably to hard to think about it. But as time goes on I promise it will get a little easier, because no matter what she will always be with you and your brother and your family.

Sending lots of love your way. Xxx

I am so so sorry what awful news, thinking of you xxx

I can't imagine what you are going through I am so sorry, huge hugs to you all xxxx

I'm so so sorry but if its any comfort I can remember my own childhoood back to about 2.5 years old and definitely have full memories of 3 years on.
Have her record something for your son and future children. Hallmark makes books that can be recorded with someone reading them.
Also pictures are very important. I lost my great grandmother a year before we conceived but I will be making sure Thorrin knows who she is and what she was like.

This is such a hard time but I'm also happy that you have a chance to spend lots of time with your mom and show her how much you love her.

I'd love to share something more comforting but it would probably be more appropriate by pm if you wish.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

I am so, so sorry for what you are going through. I also understand what you are going through. My mom has been sick most of my life, and has taken a turn this past year that I don't think she'll be able to come back from. It is difficult to think of all the things she won't be here for, but the important thing is to embrace the time that you have and truly make the most of it. PP idea of recording something for your little ones is wonderful, and a great way for them to have a piece of her when they are growing up.

Life is short, so unpredictable, and so precious. Breathe in every sweet moment while you can :hugs:

Hugs to u and ur family. I cud never imagine being in ur situation. I can't offer any advice because I believe its a personal journey that u have to find ur own way thru. If holding off TTC is right for I then do it, if having a baby now is right then do that. I hope u and ur brother can find comfort in each other. Sending lots of love and hugs to all of ur family xx

Oh sweetie. :( Big hugs. It's the worst news.

I am so sorry to hear :(. It is so incredibly hard to deal with. I lost my Dad when I was 15 to terminal brain cancer. I remember when we found out, thinking of all of the things that I wouldn't have my Dad around for... my graduations, my wedding, his grandchildren. Its been 15 years and it is still painful. I talk about my Dad all of the time to my LO's.

Even though she won't be here physically, she will always be here in spirit. I don't know what your beliefs are, but my Dad was definitly at my wedding... I could feel his presence. I believe that he actually knew about my kids before I did. Your kids will have an Angel in Heaven watching over them :angel:.

I agree with some of the above posts about having her record something for your kids. Or maybe a letter. So sorry :flow:

Thank you to each and everyone of you. Your kind words of support are so greatfully appreciated. Eventhough I have never met you all.. it is a bit of comfort knowing someone hears me. Starting to all sink in. Have booked some vacation time in December for us all. Its the last of my time available until after June. But I have been looking into taking compassionate leave from work. I think we only get approx. 50% of our earnings though and I am currently the sole provider for my family. DH is still waiting for his work permit.
Just feeling lost in it all right now.

Thank you all again for being there and supporting us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->