How do I know if its pee or amm.fluid???

daisydancer

Reaction score
I'm 29 and a half weeks pregnant and my baby has decided to do a lot of squirming about on my badder for the last 2 weeks or so. Last night I was lying in bed and baby decided to jump on my bladder so hard it felt like I nearly peed myself a bit. So about half an hour later I went to the loo and had a little wet patch about the size of a 50p or a bit bigger. Today I was in the car and he did it again, and when I got to the toilet it was wet again like last night. I dont think its discharge as it always dried white/yellowy colour but this just dries away. How do I know if its pee or my waters? Would waters keep on trickling out rather than coming and going?

This may sound disgusting but your best bet is to have a good old whiff if your that in doubt lol amniotic fluid has a very distinct smell and you will be able to tell the difference between the fluid and urine!

Thats what I'm worried about!! How the heck do you tell the difference??!! My pee doesnt really smell (tmi soz lol)

its normal for some womens water to trickle and not gush...
when my MIL was pregnant hers trickled for a week and she neglected to tell her OB

My advice, put on a pad and lay down for an hour and then stand up.
If there is liquid on the pad or if you feel a trickle when you stand then it's your waters and you need to give your doc a call.
If you're still worried bring the wet pad into your doc and they can test it for amniotic fluid...or they can put a little paper thing in your vagina to test.

GL

I find it equally difficult and am constantly wondering - mainly because I have no idea what AF smells like :shrug: I do think at the moment I am getting increased discharge, some of which is very watery and figure that if it was amniotic fluid then it would continue to leak :shrug:

I find it equally difficult and am constantly wondering - mainly because I have no idea what AF smells like :shrug: I do think at the moment I am getting increased discharge, some of which is very watery and figure that if it was amniotic fluid then it would continue to leak :shrug:

Thats what I'm thinking...I dont think it would be on my pants last night, disappear until 3 o clock today, a tiny bit more, then nothing again...at least I dont think so. Plus it is only there when baby decides to use my bladder as a punchbag.

I have put a pad on, but I have had nothing since 3 o clock, so maybe I just have become incontinent!!!

Also, Does the abys head need to be at least starting to engage for your waters to go, coz I was at the mw yesterday and she said his head was still free??

Also, Does the abys head need to be at least starting to engage for your waters to go, coz I was at the mw yesterday and she said his head was still free??

My baby didn't start engaging till 37 weeks!! And he was only 1/5 engaged....

Possibly TMI, but amniotic fluid smells a bit like semen.

Chances are it's pee esp if it happens when baby decides to have a wriggle. You might find you have the same problem if you cough or sneeze.

urine tbh if it smells bad or not - smells like urine.
Amm fluid has a more "sweet/Fresh" smell to it.

Panty liners are your best bet.....as if its urine leaking say over an hour or so the liner will get a pee tinge to it, whereas if its your waters it wouldn't get the urine "look"

HTH xx

You can't always tell. I was leaking a couple of drops and it really did seem like pee but got it tested and it turns out it was amniotic fluid leaking for 4 days. Get it checked.

Anyone?? Should I just wait and see if any more comes out, coz it was only that small patch on friday night, and then yesterday at about half 3? Should I only phone if it comes out continually, or if it soaks a pad in an hour or something???

I would suggest phoning straight away for advice. I say that because I was personaly told to just wait but then I went in anyways (sort of fibbed about how much fluid it was), but turns out I was right (although I was 40+5), I'm overly cautious in that way. Mine was small drops for 4 days, nothing like most people describe, you never know. If you are only 29 weeks then a risk of a water leak is a bit more urgent.

I phoned earlier and they said that it would probably keep leaking, and I would be in pain. And to keep an eye on it. Not much else I can do I guess.

I phoned earlier and they said that it would probably keep leaking, and I would be in pain. And to keep an eye on it. Not much else I can do I guess.

Oh no, not always. I would suggest going in to get checked for peace of mind. I know for a FACT that you can leak amniotic fluid without being in pain. I leaked for almost 6 days (4 days at home, 2 days in the hospital on pitocin) without any pain. It sounds like your gut is telling you something, I would really suggest dropping in.

Well I havent had any for over 24 hours, and I cant drop in coz the hospital is 40 miles away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->