How do I slow the weight gain down

missey18

Wife and Mommy of 3
Reaction score
Good morning ladies! I am a big girl even before pregnany. My doctor only wanted me to gain 15 lbs. I have already gained 35 lbs before I was 4 months. I am now 5 months and it has slowed down a little but the doc doesnt want me gaining anymore because it could be dangerous for me and baby. Has anyone been able to slow the weight gain down.Any suggestions?

Are you eating sensibly? Maybe keep a food diary?

I also think I"m gaining more weight than I should. I was at a healthy weight pre-pregnancy so I was only aiming for a total of 25-35 lb weight gain overall, but at 20 weeks, I've already gained 18 lbs so not quite meeting my target!

IMO, I don't think you should limit your food intake (especially if your body tells you you're hungry!) just because you're gaining too much weight too soon. Pregnant women should not diet in that way. The most sensible way, I think, is not so much how much you eat, but what you eat. Cut down on greasy, high calorie food and eat more fruits and nuts (snack on them when you're hungry instead of chocolates, etc) and vegetables, and when you eat meat, eat those that are cooked the most healthy, like grilled. Drink lots of water and milk (non fat).

I know it's a challenge (I still can't resist eating chocolates once in a while!) but it can be done. Good luck to all of us! :)

I am a big un and I have put on loads. Doesn't help I was dieting before then went back to eating more than I was and its all piling back on. I try to eat as healthy as poss I just eat too much but in the 1st tri as was so hungry all the time and then feelin nauseous so ate vicious circle!

Between 4 months and 5 months I suddenly gained a lot more than I wanted to. I found that planning meals ahead made it much easier to control my calorie intake. For example I worked out 4 or 5 different healthy options for breakfast, 4 or 5 for lunch, 4 or 5 for dinner and then a few good snacks to choose from...then each day I would decide which ones to have the next day. It is far easier to make a healthy choice in advance than it is in the moment when you are hungry and ready to eat. After a couple of weeks of planning ahead I got used to making healthy choices and now just do it automatically. (That's not to say there is anything wrong with the occassional chocolate bar or bowl of chips...just not so often). Regular walking and swimming are great too...not too strenuous but they get you moving and feeling good about yourself.

The food diary is another good idea as it makes you consciously aware of what you are putting into your body.

Lx

I was putting it on a little too fast, and I've just cut back on my sweet/fatty intake. I still eat when I am hungry, I just reach for fruit instead. Its actually really nice!

Oh my gosh, thats what happened to me Fossey. I was nautious and ate so many carbs . It seemed to kind of help,as weird as that may sound. I was also dieting before I got preggo. As soon as i got preggo the weight just stuck to my body. Im trying to cut back a little... I need to start exercising. Thank you ladies for al your support.

Oh my gosh, thats what happened to me Fossey. I was nautious and ate so many carbs . It seemed to kind of help,as weird as that may sound. I was also dieting before I got preggo. As soon as i got preggo the weight just stuck to my body. Im trying to cut back a little... I need to start exercising. Thank you ladies for al your support.

SAMEEEE!!!! I ate and i would feel better for a while and when i got really nauseous eating carbs would help...but not with the waistline!!!:hissy:

People wouldnt understand how I wanted to eat when I felt so sick but something about the food stopped the nausea only while I was eating though.

Don't cut back on your food intake, your body needs it!! Just try to make healthier choices and maybe treat yourself once or twice a week?? Easier said than done though, I've been on a major sweet kick lately... Also, try to get out and go for walks or a swim, exercise is definitely key!! Good Luck, but don't let it get you down!!!

I would say eat what your body is asking for just make sure you keep it in moderation. I certainly wouldn't think of a diet or anything. If you fancy these things I am a great believer it is becuase your body is asking for it x x

I would suggest four things...talk to your doctor/midwife first because you don't want to do anything that could be harmful...drink lots of water! Eat more things like apples (they are so good for you and fill you up..) and fresh fruit/veggies, eat more fiber (fills you up too) and keep a food diary. Writing down everything you eat can be a massive pain, but its an eye opener when you actually can see everything you have eaten through out a day. Plus it might help you keep track of what your weaknesses are and areas you can improve.

Good luck.

Thank you ladies sooo much for your advice. Very helpful.

When I find myself craving sugar, I have a spoonful of honey, or I have a bag of chocolate chips and eat a handful of that. I always make sure I have fruit cut up in the fridge in pieces so I feel like I'm snacking on it, same with bell peppers and baby carrots. Also, when I'm in the mood for hand-to-mouth crunchy snack foods, I go with a box of dry cereal before a bag of chips (although sometimes it just doesnt do it and I need the chips/huge bags of chocolate :rofl:)

I agree with not cutting back when you are hungry but it is all about the right kinds of foods now you are passed your nautious phase you should be trying to eat non processed carbs like brown/wholemeal bread, pasta and rice and eat natural sugars like apples and other fruit instead of choccy. Eat useful calories for the baby and your appetite and not empty calories like chips, crisps, choccy, jam, syrup!! All refined carbs which have a high impact on your motabolism and then sit on your waiste line long after your baby is born.

I am a big lady, I was 14st 12lb when I got pregnant and I am now 14st 4lb at 18 weeks. I am also diabetic so know a little about healthy eating. The average weight gain for a first pregnancy is between 24 and 36lb so I would say you need to consult your mw or Dr hun and discuss it :hugs::hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->