How do I switch to btl from boob

elephant29

Daddy, mummy, LO and bean
Reaction score
Hey guys,

(I've put this in Baby club and FF sections as would like as many replies as possible)

So i've been exclusively BF since birth. I am ready to stop now. We have had issues were LO is refusing all forms of bottles, doidy cups, sippy cups, anything really but finally I think we have found a bottle she will take.

So my question is for anyone who BF then changed. How did you do it?

I was thinking of giving a btl of EBM (will try formula once btl feeding is estblished) in the afternoon for 1 week then a mid morning for another week then bedtime for another week and finally the morning btl so in all taking 4 weeks (when I am due to go back to work). Is this feesable or do you think I should lessen the time between bottles, i.e introduce a new one every 3/4 days?

Ideally I would like to only be BF in the morning within the next 2/3 weeks. I dont think this is possible though, is it?

Thanks.

xxx

I did the switch over 1 week.. From boob to bottle.. Then another week from breast milk to fornula.. So all in all took 2 weeks.

Xx

I did the switch over 1 week.. From boob to bottle.. Then another week from breast milk to fornula.. So all in all took 2 weeks.

Xx

Really? That's so encouraging!

Did you add a bottle feed in every day so that in a week all feeds were bottle and then the next week change each feed to formula?

I'm struggling so bad.

She took 2oz of EBM today and yesterday. This afternoon I tried her with Cow and Gate 1st milk (carton) and she screamed.

I think I will just need to stick with expressing and hope for the best.

xxx

Xx

Really? That's so encouraging!

Did you add a bottle feed in every day so that in a week all feeds were bottle and then the next week change each feed to formula?

I'm struggling so bad.

She took 2oz of EBM today and yesterday. This afternoon I tried her with Cow and Gate 1st milk (carton) and she screamed

I think I will just need to stick with expressing and hope for the best

xxx

Sorry i didnt reply!!

Yeah i just added in a bottle every day...

You could try half and half.. So if she takes 4oz each feed for example make 2 bottles, one with 2oz breast milk and one 2 oz formula then give her 1oz breast, 1oz formula, 1oz breast, 1 formula... Does that make sense to you? I did in my head.. Lol.

Xx

Its just getting her used to the taste difference.. You could try buying a couple of different formula cartons and see which one she goes for..
My LO didnt like Aptimal but likes SMA.. X

Its just getting her used to the taste difference.. You could try buying a couple of different formula cartons and see which one she goes for..
My LO didnt like Aptimal but likes SMA.. X

Thank you!

We had success this morning in that she took a full 2oz bottle of EBM first thing, before a BF! I did have to BF about 15 mins later but sooo pleased she took it!

I bought Aptimil, cow and gate and SMA cartons. She screamed with the cow and gate and will tolerate about an oz of apitmal.

Thats a really good idea about mixing! Think I will try that.

Thanks again.

xxx

Yay!! Atleast she took some!!

Hopefully she will take more.
Good luck!! Let me know how you get on :)

Xx

Xx

Thanks!

Well more good stuff. She took another bottle of ebm in the afternoon, this time she took 4oz! So far today she has had 2 bottles, in total 6oz and 6 BF's including her bedtime one!

Now I just need to work out which one to stop next. I'll continue with a bottle 1st thing but increase to maybe 4oz as she took 2 then needed a BF.

She's out with MIL tomorrow so I think I will try and give her a bottle away with her so that I can test how she is for other people then i will have a bottle ready for late afternoon then BF before bed!

Sorry I know I waffled there but helps me keep track, haha.

xxx

Xx

Thanks!

Well more good stuff. She took another bottle of ebm in the afternoon, this time she took 4oz! So far today she has had 2 bottles, in total 6oz and 6 BF's including her bedtime one!

Now I just need to work out which one to stop next. I'll continue with a bottle
1st thing but increase to maybe 4oz as she took 2 then needed a BF

She's out with MIL tomorrow so I think I will try and give her a bottle away
with her so that I can test how she is for other people then i will have a bottle ready for late afternoon then BF before bed!

xxx

Awhh thats brilliant!! :)
Really happy it is working well for you and LO!!

Love the pics by the way :D - keep meaning to say that but keep forgetting!!

Xxx

Xx

Thanks!

Now I just need to work out which one to stop next. I'll continue with a bottle
1st thing but increase to maybe 4oz as she took 2 then needed a BF

She's out with MIL tomorrow so I think I will try and give her a bottle away
with her so that I can test how she is for other people then i will have a bottle ready for late afternoon then BF before bed!

xxx

Awhh thats brilliant!! :)
Really happy it is working well for you and LO!!

Love the pics by the way :D - keep meaning to say that but keep forgetting!!

Xxx

Aw thanks you!

Well I think we can safely say it has went great! Aria is practically on formula fulltime now! I actually cant believe how fast it has happened.

I started giving her the morning feed and she has gradually taken 6oz of formula. The only time she seems to want/need a BF is mid afternoon and by this point I think she justwants the comfort as it's definately not hunger. I'm happy to give her this. Today we only had 1 BF!

Last night she STTN for the first time since 4 mth regression hit us. She went down at 8pm and stirred at 11pm so I gave a dreamfeed and she took a 2oz btl! I couldnt believe it cause before if I tried to give her a btl through the night she would really beat me up! After this she slept so all in all 8pm - 7am with a dreamfeed thrown in! :happydance::happydance:

Today she even had a 2 hour nap in the morning and a 2 hour nap in the evening. She has not napped like this since she was 5/6 weeks old!

I dont know if its the formula or sleeping on her tummy (which she started last night and no amount of flipping by us helped), but whatever it is something has worked!

xxx

Yay!! Im so pleased its working for you and your are managing to get some sleep too :)sorry i took a while to reply!!

Xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"