How do OPKs work, what to get?

marycotter567

Reaction score
Hello ladies. Last cycle my DH and I started TTC #2 (although we've been NTNP for almost a year now). I've been using a fertility app (Clue) and charting my daily symptoms, sleep habits, diet, exercise, etc. But I don't think I have a clear idea of when I ovulate so I am looking for ways to identify the big O day so we can DTD around the correct time to get preggers. I have no idea how OPKs work, what to get, etc. Help!!

Depends how much money you have to spend and how far you want to go!
I've only ever used Internet cheapie sticks from Amazon. It's a few pounds for 20 strips. Start early with them, maybe a week before you think you might ovulate. Pee on one every day, late morning early afternoon is best (not first morning urine). With the cheapie sticks you might see lines every test but it's only positive if the test line Is darker or as dark as control line. Once your tests start getting close to positive test several times a day til positive confirmed. Once positive confirmed you should ovulate 24-36 hours later I think. It's not much notice which is why you might need a few cycles to catch all of your fertile time (the 3-4days up to ovulation and on the day)

Some folk don't like Internet cheapie tests as it can be hard to figure what's positive or not. The other options are digital ovulation tests which are pricey but show a smiley face when you are at peak fertility. The other option is a fertility monitor which I don't know much about other than its bloody expensive!
I'd highly recommended the cheap sticks.

Two main kinds of OPKs are urine ovulation tests and saliva ovulation monitors. You'll see many people use the former one only because it's been in the market for a long time and most times it works well. Saliva ovulation tests are more advanced and convenient but unit price is higher -- if you only use it for a few months.

In this article "Ovulation Predictor Kit: Urine vs Saliva Ovulation Test", you'll find the complete comparison of both kinds. You should make your own decision after researching and understanding your health condition.

https://www.knowhen.com/images/Ovulation%20Predictor%20Kit-%20Urine%20vs%20Saliva%20Ovulation%20Test.jpg

I know a lot of ladies on here use the Wondfo brand of OPKs because they're a lot cheaper than the stuff you get in stores. I have been spending the extra and using Clear Blue Digitals. I got my starter box at Target (I admit it was rather pricey, but lasted 2 cycles) and then ordered refills from Amazon. I like it because it either gives me a circle (low), a blinking smiley face(high), or a solid smiley face(peak). It's a pricier option, like I mentioned, but I like the convenience of the digital read. I also save by using my app to help me predict my fertile window, so I don't start testing until then (I think some ladies start testing the first day after AF finishes) and stop once I get a "Peak" result.

OPKs measure lh in your urine. Before you ovulate your body will have s surge of lutenizing hormone, usually 12-36 hours before you release an egg. I use wondfos from online because they are so cheap and I also use clear blue digital . I use Wondfos twice daily and the clear blue once daily because it is way more expensive. I like using two different brands so I can have clear results. It is important to follow the instructions on whatever brand you get. Some brand say don't use FMU, some are ok using FMU. You also have to hold the stick in the urine for different amounts of time depending on the brand. A positive result is when the test line is as dark or darker than the control line. I almost always have a faint test line which means there is a small amount of lh in my urine, this is normal but does not indicate O. I also test twice a day because lh surges can be short and if you are only testing once a day you could miss your lh surge and be ready to ovulate. The Dollar Tree has ovulation kits if you are looking for some cheapies to experiment with before you spend the big bucks! Good luck!

There's a lot of good info here.

I personally like the combine the cheap Wondfo's that I buy on Amazon ( can get 100 for like $20-$30) with the clearblue digi (I don't usually buy the advanced though, just the regular). Wondfo's are one of the cheapie brands that (I think) gives a pretty good positive, and it doesn't take as much work to figure out like others I have used. Just to be safe, I use the Wondfo's until it looks like I am getting a positive, and then I use a digi to confirm. of course, in order for this to work (because of the 3-hour hold thing) I pee in a dixie cup, dip the cheapie, do my business and if it's looking like it could be positive at the 3-4 minute mark (about hte time I finish my business, wash my hands, etc) then I get out a digi and dip it. This way I made a pack of 20 digi's last about 6 months instead of 2!

Just note that doing it this way isn't as effective with the advanced digi's because those have a memory in them that you have to start a new monitor each cycle or it screws things up. Or at least that's what I'm told. I've never used the advanced digi's like this anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->