how do they test for pre eclampsia?

mrskx0x0

Scarlett's Mummy
Reaction score
Just got back from the midwife and I have trace protein, leukocytes was 2 and BP measured at 150/78 and then at 148/80. BP at all previous visits has been 120/70 or 120/75. I have to go and get rechecked on Monday and if it hasn't gone down by then they are sending me to the hospital but my question is...

what will they do at the hospital?

Hi
I'm not sure if I will be of much help as I had this almost 16 years ago. I wasn't sent to hospital till my BP was 155/100 but when i got there they said they were going to keep me till I was far enough gone to induce me. They put me on some meds for BP I had a scan of baby & obs every 4 hours I think. I am suprised that they are leaving you till monday to re check. Hope this helps a little if I can help anymore let me know.
J

Blood test hun :) I got my bloods taken whilst in labour as my BP was sky high but they came back all clear.

bloods i think they take more wee samples and check your liver functions if your diognoised i think its a hospital stay depending how bad it is hope all is well hun..... xxxx

Yep-blood test and urine test at the hospital. I had a spike of BP at my appointment today so they sent me down to the labs.

Hope your's come back clear. x

mine have been 140/83 at LEAST, even up to 143/95 and all they did was test my urine and blood and then send me home... ugh. i feel like they are missing something!

:growlmad: What's the point of getting sent to the hospital to have the same tests done they can do at the doctors?! I'm a little bit cross that it turns out my Mum had pre eclampsia but the doctors didn't actually tell her that's what it was so I didn't even know there was a family history.

:growlmad: What's the point of getting sent to the hospital to have the same tests done they can do at the doctors?! I'm a little bit cross that it turns out my Mum had pre eclampsia but the doctors didn't actually tell her that's what it was so I didn't even know there was a family history.

I'm not sure in all cases--but in my case I think it was done at hospital for fast turn-around of results. The doctor's have to send it to a lab and it can take 24-48+ hours for results to come back. The hospital can push it through the onsite lab and get results in 1-3 hours. My bottom number had gone from 60-70 throughout the whole pregnancy to over 100 in one week's time since last MW appointment so they wanted quick answers. My tests came back clear so they're watching it but writing it off to "end of pregnancy spike" that sometimes occurs.

That's crazy that your Mom was never told about her PE! Hope you get answers from your docs soon.

Investigations for pre-eclampsia include urine testing, sometimes a 24hr urine collection for a 'total protein' check, Bloods but not just one set. They need to see a trend. Unless the first bloods check out normal. Then of course this information together with a Blood pressure trend which will give a much bigger picture alongside possible symptoms. Anyone being investigated for pre-eclampsia should be taken seriously. Admission is sometimes required during these investigations to gain this bigger picture. Bloods here are sent as urgent so there is a quick turn around. :) If someone is a fulminating pre-eclamptic it is essential that they are in the unit under close observation. :)

Investigations for pre-eclampsia include urine testing, sometimes a 24hr urine collection for a 'total protein' check, Bloods but not just one set. They need to see a trend. Unless the first bloods check out normal. Then of course this information together with a Blood pressure trend which will give a much bigger picture alongside possible symptoms. Anyone being investigated for pre-eclampsia should be taken seriously. Admission is sometimes required during these investigations to gain this bigger picture. Bloods here are sent as urgent so there is a quick turn around. :) If someone is a fulminating pre-eclamptic it is essential that they are in the unit under close observation. :)

just what i was going to say also though they dont normally get overly concerned until your presenting ++ protien in urine and high blood pressure with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->