How do you clean toys and teething rings?

mk8

Reaction score
Hey mums and dads

Wondering how you all go about cleaning babies toys and teething rings?

The majority of my babies toys say wipe with a damp cloth. I just don't think that's clean enough!

I stick cuddly toys and cloth type toys into a washing machine, sterilise hard plastic teethers and wash liquid filled teethers in warm soapy water before rinsing. How about you?

I just wipe them with a damp cloth if they look dirty. It's not necessary to sterilise anything, by the time babies are able to put toys in their mouths they are also sucking their hands - and anything else that they can get their hands on! It's good for their immune system.

Hey mums and dads

Wondering how you all go about cleaning babies toys and teething rings?

The majority of my babies toys say wipe with a damp cloth. I just don't think that's clean enough!

I stick cuddly toys and cloth type toys into a washing machine, sterilise hard plastic teethers and wash liquid filled teethers in warm soapy water before rinsing. How about you?

I put teddies in the washing machine on a delicate cool wash (still ended up shrinking one of them though! I don't have any hard plastic tethers, water filled teethers I wash in warm soapy water and then rinse and store in a sterile box in the fridge. For other toys that can't be washed in these ways I have some Milton wipes.

I used to wash them in warm soapy water, then I had diluted Milton solution in a tuperware container which they then sat in until we next needed them, or they went into the fridge
I think I was a bit OTT with this, but DS had reflux, poor weight gain etc (he's a monster now lol) so I was paranoid about him getting a tummy bug which would've left him even sicker!

I too loved Milton wipes, especially when out& about and dropped his teether or toys on a dirty floor....that sorted it out til we got home.
For 'wipe clean' toys, I used the Milton solution to clean them down

Teddies go in the washing machine, teethers etc I threw in some hot water and washing up liquid.
Other toys, I dunno I haven't cleaned them lol, I washed some ones he was sick on in hot soapy water.

Hard toys without electronics can go in the dishwasher or in bath tub with diluted cleaning solution. I usually pour a cup of bleach in full bath tub with toys. Leave for an hour, drain, then thoroughly rinse toys, and let air dry completely before putting back in toy box.

I usually pour a cup of bleach in full bath tub with toys. Leave for an hour, drain, then thoroughly rinse toys, and let air dry completely before putting back in toy box.

Is it safe to bleach toys?

I usually pour a cup of bleach in full bath tub with toys. Leave for an hour, drain, then thoroughly rinse toys, and let air dry completely before putting back in toy box.

Is it safe to bleach toys?

I looked up instructions online on how to clean toys, it was on multiple sites to use this method. I will say, it depends on the toy though. If its a toy with lots of crevices, I wouldn't because I wouldn't be sure I could get it rinsed well enough. But things like plastic blocks, etc are really easy to rinse well. One cup of bleach in a full bath is also really diluted, and then rinsing toys several times, then air drying. I use this method when the kids have been ill. Other times I usually just wipe down toys if they look dirty.

if you google how to clean toys with bleach, there are a ton of references on how to safely use it to disinfect toys.

If you are uncomfortable with using it, a safer alternative would be vinegar water solution.

Ahh I didn't know that! You learn something new every day :)

Wow... I kinda feel bad now! I rarely ever wash her toys!

Wow... I kinda feel bad now! I rarely ever wash her toys!

Don't feel bad! Honestly, I really only clean ours if the kids were sick, or if they are visibly dirty. So not often.

I don't lol.

Obviously, if they look dirty or he's been sick on something, I'll give it a clean with soapy water or stick a teddy in the wash, but I don't see the point now that he's licking everything in sight.

We use vinegar and water. Safe for pets and baby. :)

ETA: I obviously don't let the dogs chew on Kylie's toys, but sometimes they have tried to carry them off. I feel safer knowing that if they aren't rinsed well enough that it's ok.

Dish soap and water...or I throw them in the bathtub with her. if my dogs get ahold of something I toss it in the washer (Stuffed animals and the like).

I was given a dish soap made for washing bottles and toys, so I've been using that. Haven't had any issues with it, do I'll probably continue using it until she's a bit older. :)

For fabric toys I run them through the washer, for teething rings (though we rarely use them) I just use warm soapy water, and for her plastic toys I use disinfecting wipes on them then rinse them with hot water.

I'm too lazy to wash toys! :haha:

When they were really little, I would wash new toys with dish/bottle soap and water or sterilize them if they were dishwasher safe. Now I just take new toys out of the package and throw them on the floor with the other 8,724 toys. I haven't had any reason to wash old toys.

we were given a bunch of toys from friends with kids. i just filled the sink up with hot water and dish washing detergent and soaked them in there for a few hours before giving them a good clean. any soft toys i kinda just put in a bag and chucked in the cupboard. i can't really be bothered sticking them in the washing machine :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"