How do you decide if your LO is hungry?

S

Serene123

I used to feed Caitlyn practically every time she cried. Now we have a sort-of routine but she isn't gaining weight much if atall. Surely if she was hungry nothing else would keep her quiet though? What are your steps you take before you KNOW your LO is hungry?

I normally check her bum.
Burp her.
Try and settle her to sleep.
Try and get her to play.
Give up and feed her?

:rofl:

i usually check her bum
burp her
put her down to bed
rock her/put in her swing
and if none that works feed her

also its quite hard to tell cos she doesnt allways cry, she just stares at me :-/ or whimpers abit

Alasdair has a different cry...it's much more urgent. Like he'll do with a dirty nappy, he's not that bothered about being bored although it's not much fun...but if he's hungry!!! lol, it's like he wants his Daddy (who works half an hrs drive away) to hear that he's hungry.

He is also generally quite predictable with when he'll want it (for now, I'm not expecting him to always be this predictable)

Kaya uses body language to let me know that she's hungry. It used to be that she'd stare at my chest, now she tries to lift my shirt or buries her face in my chest.

oh, Marley just reminded me - Alasdair also does 'hungry face' and will try to latch onto anything.

jack has a different cry when he is hungry xx

I watched the Dunstan baby language video and it really works! Her hiungry cry is more of a Neh sound.

Erica also has a hungry cry. I can tell whats wrong usually from the type of cry. That, and when she is hungry she pretty much just grabs my breasts and tries to pull them toward her. Ouch!

Kaya uses body language to let me know that she's hungry. It used to be that she'd stare at my chest, now she tries to lift my shirt or buries her face in my chest.

oh, Marley just reminded me - Alasdair also does 'hungry face' and will try to latch onto anything.

jack has a different cry when he is hungry xx

I watched the Dunstan baby language video and it really works! Her hiungry cry is more of a Neh sound.

Erica also has a hungry cry. I can tell whats wrong usually from the type of cry. That, and when she is hungry she pretty much just grabs my breasts and tries to pull them toward her. Ouch!

This is how LO and I communicate too. She just tells me (using one or all of the above ;)) and then we feed.

:hug:

Sam does this too. He'll usually pull my top down and stick his face in there :rofl: Or he'll just attempt to feed through my top or suck on my arm...he doesn't really cry when he's hungry any more x

ella has a hungry cry and i just feed her when she does it , usually every 3 hours :)

Alasdair has a different cry...it's much more urgent. Like he'll do with a dirty nappy, he's not that bothered about being bored although it's not much fun...but if he's hungry!!! lol, it's like he wants his Daddy (who works half an hrs drive away) to hear that he's hungry.

He is also generally quite predictable with when he'll want it (for now, I'm not expecting him to always be this predictable)

:ROFL: LOL.
I usually play with Colton, check his diaper and if that doesn't work give him a bottle. Usually they are about 3-4 hours apart though, so I usually can tell when its about *time* to give him a bottle.

Although hun, how much weight is she gaining? After 4mo Colton has only gained 1lb a month and he is still on his same growth curve (even only gaining 1lb), so dont be too worried about it. I know they grow alot at first but it slows down ALOT!

She was 14lb15 one week, 14lb14 the next week, then 15lb2 the week after. Hopefully next time I get her weighed she'll have put on a bit!

Deacon doesnt really cry that much he tends to just kinda wimper for a bit then he pulls a face which kinda looks like a baby chick feeding with its gob wide open ha ha, I put the bend of my little finger on his lips and see if he suckles and if he does then I know, if he doesnt want feeding then he kinda sucks his lips in to his mouth- Cute x

Deacon doesnt really cry that much he tends to just kinda wimper for a bit then he pulls a face which kinda looks like a baby chick feeding with its gob wide open ha ha, I put the bend of my little finger on his lips and see if he suckles and if he does then I know, if he doesnt want feeding then he kinda sucks his lips in to his mouth- Cute x

Maya does exactly the same :D

Also if I hold her up so we're face to face she latches on to my nose :cloud9:

If she's still content and seems to be feeding ok I wouldn't worry about her weight gain if it's just for a few weeks she's not gaining much. Sam's been all over the growth chart but has always been fine and always fed well (HVs don't seem at all worried now if he has a couple of weeks where he doesn't really gain much). I'd just carry on doing what you're doing now until next time you have her weighed - she'll probably have put on more x

She doesn't really seem to be getting bigger. The only reassurance I'm getting is her nails growing 10cm a week! :rofl:

so sounds like shes doing fab toria :) i no when maddi's hungry as she makes a completely different noise, its more like a whinge than anything else, and how ever i try to distract her, she continues to make the noise :)

Yeah I think I know Caitlyns cry, I'm just worrying she has another one that I'm not picking up and she's actually starving. She'd cry al lthe time if she was starving though right?

oh honey, try not too worry, im pretty sure you would no if she was hungry, your so intuned to that little lady you'd no and she would tell you :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->