How do you go about freezing?

cupcaker

Reaction score
I'd like to build up a bit of a stash of milk but what do people store it in? Say you can only manage to give up a couple of ounces for the freezer each time...does that mean you have to put a bottle in the fridge with just two or so ounces? (and hence 'take up' a bottle?) or can you add to that frozen bottle when you next pump more so long as you date the first expression? Or do you use different containers and if so does each expression require a new container. Do you use the bags? What's the most efficient and safe method I'm a bit clueless. xxxx

Good question. I am using the bags and will pump one day store it in fridge then next day pump and combine the two to store enough for a bottle. I was hoping this was fine. I put the date of the first day. Just started last week and last two days have expressed enough for a bottle each time so don't need to combine the two now. I am going to add another pump mid morning now and see how that goes. Will be waiting to see other's opinions on this

You're supposed to mix the milk from different pumping sessions at the same temperature. So you'd likely want to keep it in the fridge, put the next batch in the fridge for a few hours and them combine them and put into the freezer. I usually only put smaller amounts (2-4oz MAX) into a freezer bag because a lot of times if I filled it up some milk got wasted. You can always warm more milk if your LO wants more, but once it's thawed any milk that isn't consumed is pretty much just wasted.

When i expressed i put it in fridge & wrote date & time one it (i used avent containers that are compatible with pump & bottles & teats) then nxt time i expressed that day i used a new container & put that in fridge for a bit then combined with milk from earlier im the day once it had chilled. Then i put in freezer. i didn't add any to frozen milk however i did see on the internet that you can add chilled milk to frozen milk but only once - i didn't fancy doing that so i just use a new container for freezing each day. i also only stored mine in 3 oz portions as it defrosts really quickly so if baby wanted any more then no problem. but if she didnt drink it all then it would have to be dumped (it's so annoying pouring your precious milk down the sink!)

I used to freeze each pumping session in a bag. You can get the bags quite cheap on the internet so I thought it was better to freeze them all individually (even though some were just an ounce.)

I use the freezer bags for each pumping. I did read somewhere (not sure where or if it is true :shrug:), not to mix milk from different times because each "batch" is different.

I asked my MW about what amount to freeze and she recommended to freeze 4oz at a time (if possible) and then also freeze some 1oz portions. Of course this is tailored to my needs of a 6 week old (when I go back to work). Either way, I know he will finish the 4 oz, then I can give him another 1 or 2 oz if he is still hungry. I do freeze the smaller amounts in the small freezer bottles, so I can re-use them later.

You can mix room temp with room temp, cold with cold, or cold with frozen.

Personally I freeze in bags, in 2 and 4 oz sizes because my LO usually takes 4 oz bottles. I wouldn't freeze more than 4 in one bag for now. I froze some 5s at the beginning and some of that milk went to waste.

Do I need to throw out all my milk that I combined? I mixed cold milk in fridge from day before to new milk just expressed. Also, I have been freezing 4 oz at a time and was thinking about going to 8 oz. I thought if I thawed 8 oz it would be ok in fridge all day so I could use 4 oz for morning feed and then the other 4 oz 4 hours later? So thawed milk does not last in fridge it is only for one feed then toss rest even though it was not put in the bottle during first feed?

Ima, personally I would try the combined milk but smell and taste it before giving any, and make sure to have a backup.

I don't know how long frozen milk thawed in the fridge can stay in there. Good question.

You can freeze several sets of expressed milk by cooling in fridge before combining in freezer. I can only express up to 1.5oz a time and lo takes 6oz bottles, so I freeze in 6oz lots and end up with stripy milk! You could freeze 8oz lots and defrost in fridge, splitting into 2 bottles once defrosted. The defrosted milk should be used within 12h, and once a bottle has been fed from you can't keep it and use again later. Hth!

I found this guide helpful:

La Leche League - storing pumped milk

(hope that link works, i'm posting from my phone.)

I always gp by NHS guidelines or La Leche League are very reliable imo. xxx

I freeze up to 5oz at a time in the Lansinoh bags. I've found them to be the best bags because they freeze flat.

Those are the bags I have and I just discovered I should freeze them flat so it will be easy to store and put in order of date in the fridge so have been doing that the last two days. I will start cooling both bottles before combining. Is it a good idea to store more for when he starts going to sitters and she can thaw it all and use what she needs for each bottle for the day. I guess what normally happens is you express one day at work and give that for the next day at the sitters and then use frozen for extra? Is that how most do it?

Get an ice cube tray! I froze my milk in these when I was only pumping a little. Before using, put water in the hole for one cube and measure how much it takes (mine were 15ml). Then you know how many cubes to defrost per feed. When the tray is full, you can pop out the cubes and put them in a sterile box or bag. I don't know what I'd have done without this tip, my midwife suggested it, and I would have wasted so much milk if I hadn't.

Get an ice cube tray! I froze my milk in these when I was only pumping a little. Before using, put water in the hole for one cube and measure how much it takes (mine were 15ml). Then you know how many cubes to defrost per feed. When the tray is full, you can pop out the cubes and put them in a sterile box or bag. I don't know what I'd have done without this tip, my midwife suggested it, and I would have wasted so much milk if I hadn't.

That's a really good idea! X

Thanks all! All useful comments!! Now I just have to figure out how to have any excess milk to flipping freeze!! I seem to express then we end up needing it for various reasons or I don't seem to have enough to stock up 'extra' :(

I store it in the fridge in bottles (yes, taking up bottles), and when I need bottles, I transfer it to a bag and freeze it.

The freezer bags are relatively inexpensive and take up less space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->