How do you know baby gets enough??

Dukechick

Wife & proud Mom of 2
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll learn these secrets in the classes once I start taking them, but I've always wondered this.......

How do you know they're getting enough? Or that they aren't getting too much?? I know when you bottle feed them, you can see how much they've drank, but you can't tell from the breast!!

I'm really really really hoping to BF... but this question always seems to burn a hole in my brain!!

Thanks!!

xx

As a culture we are very hung up on knowing exactly how much babies are eating. When you BF you simply can't know how much they are taking. There are, however signs that they are getting enough.
1. Plenty of wet and dirty nappies
2. If they are putting on weight (watch this one as many babies are slow to put on weight but are still doing well)
3. If they are content and sleepy after a feed (watch for growth spurts though)
4. If they generally seem healthy and happy

If a baby eats too much (formula or breast milk), they will just sick it up after.

Like Marley says we live in a bottle feeding culture so we feel we need to know exactly what they are getting. I think this is probably one of the number 1 hurdles to get over and could also be one of the number 1 reasons women stop BFing :(

Back yourself! The LC who helped me early on told me half the battle is believing in yourself - if you are getting the signs Marley has mentioned above then they are getting plenty! :D

i'm not experienced in BF yet but really hope to be able to do it. i was worrying about this also...

but I went to my BF workshop the other day and the midwife showed us these little marbles which represented the size of newborn's stomach. it put in perspective for me that while we cant see what baby is taking, they really dont need as much as we think at first. then once their little tummies get a bit bigger and do start needing more, we'll have been starting to get practice in!

mervs mum says about believing in yourself and for some reason those little marbles really made me believe in my body / natures ability. ive found a pic of the marbles which i hope i have attached ok. The smallest is for day 1 of life, the next is for day 3, and the largest is for day 10-14.

also as marley says, we're hung up on how much baby is getting each feed, but then we dont eat the exact same amount at every meal as adults.. so i guess the above signs are the best indicator.

Attachments

• belly.jpg
    belly.jpg
    875 bytes · Views: 30
Here is a useful reference of the signs that a baby is getting enough:
https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html
https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

I don't get the obsession with knowing exactly how many ml baby is taking each feed, even with FF babies :dohh: as long as baby is healthy and content then it really doesn't matter. Pink skin, wet and dirty nappies etc are the signs that your LO is getting enough milk.

It can be hard in the early days when you are both getting the hang of things but you just have to trust your body and your LO's ability to take what they need.

I dont think i ever wondered how much my girly was getting, i figured so long as she had enough wet nappies (BF babies can go about a week without pooing) and is putting on weight then all is fine. We make enough food for our babies (bar a few) if you're feeding on demand then your baby will eat until they are full and if they are too full then they will just throw it up and prob scream for more :lol:
Dont stress about it :)

I always know when Ellie had enough and full because she pulls off or just point blank refuses to take it.

The girls pretty much said what you need to know :) I always knew as max had a smile on his face once he was done lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->