how do you know what sizes to buy??

mrswilsey

Expecting #1
Reaction score
hubby was 10 lb 3 oz when born but i was 6 lbs 6 oz... and those often arent good indicators of size! so do i buy newborn clothes??? or go straight to 0-3 months? DH was never even in newborn clothes.. he was too big! lol what are you all doing? :shrug:

I would buy newborn...just not tons. I'd have a few onesies, sleepers and probably a couple pairs of the cloth pants too. Then 0-3 :)

I've bought 0-3 and 6-12 (winter stuff on sale) so far. I haven't bought much of anything but I haven't bought any newborn clothes at all. I'll mostly stick with 0-3 and probably just have a few newborn things until we know what we need. Of course I want clothes that fit baby properly but I figure it's pretty easy to put a smaller baby into bigger clothes than it is to try to do it the other way around. :haha:

I'm sure I'll get quite a bit of newborn stuff as gifts though.

Edit: On 2nd thought, I probably shouldn't buy any newborn clothes. My baby is due in July when it'll be too hot here to wear anything other than a diaper anyway. :p

Noticed OP is in the US...the Carter's brand newborn runs a tad bigger than other brands I've found. Like my youngest was 7lbs 6oz at birth, 12lbs at 2mo and he wore the newborn carters at least 2mo maybe 3mo. So if you're worried about them fitting I would get Carter's ones and then if you need smaller get those after the birth

Last time I only had 0-3, it was a bit big at first, but she grew into them incredibly fast, and I just rolled up the sleeves a bit. It really didn't seem like a big deal.

This time, I may pick up some newborn size, but only if I see it incredibly cheap at the sales or 2nd hand or if I can borrow from someone. Otherwise, not gonna bother.

Girls tend to be smaller. OH was almost 5 kg at birth, and I was 3 kg, DD turned out to be 3,5 kg, but was only 50 cms long. My friend's daughter was also 3.5, but 56 cm long. There's just no way to tell in advance.

Buy some newborn. Both my husband and I are big so just bought 0-3 and it swamped my son for the first few weeks. Just buy a few then wash them regularly. I've bought some newborn already.

ive had 3 lo already rainging from 10lb11oz , 7lb8oz and 5lb , all of them had newborn and even my bigger baby had hers on for 4 weeks wihtout being too small. i wouldnt not go straight for 0-3 x

I bought mostly 0-3 months stuff. Had a couple of newborn suits but Pheebs was 9lb and didnt stay in them long, she was a long baby too. Will probably do the same this time as I got a feeling this one is going to be even bigger lol x

I've mainly bought firstsize or newborn which tend to go up to about 9-10lbs. I have a few 0-3 that people have bought me too.

I think I'm going to get a few smaller ones too you know like up to 7lbs just in plain white sleepsuits and vest then if baby is say 6-7 lbs we can nip out and get some more outfits if we want to.

x

Iv going to get a couple peices in newborn and then Iv got some outfits that are up to 1 month and i got some 0-3...

so i should be fine :)

My last was 9lb6oz so this one may be bigger but i will prob buy no more than 4 sleepsuits/vests (i can get more after if needed). If you dont have any idea what weight your baby will be then defo buy some, but not much point in spending lots of money or buying lots as they dont last long or get worn much x

Up to 1mth clothes are a great alternative xx

I haven't bought any newborn this time around, all 0-3. I bought a few newborn babygrows when I was pregnant with my son but he was 9lb 6 and 61cm long at birth so he was far too long for newborn stuff (most seem to go up to about 9lb and 58cm) so I ended up giving them all to the lady in the bed next to me.

I figured if by some mircle I have a much smaller baby this time then he won't mind being in babygrows that are a little too big for him for a couple of weeks, because my son wouldn't fit into newborn he had to go straight into 0-3 and the stuff was huge on him but he didn't seem to mind that things were a bit baggy. I can always get OH to run out after baby is born and buy a couple of packs of newborn babygrows if need be but not wasting my money on them just now.

I was only 7lb 3 at birth and OH was 7lb 13 and none of us are particuarly big or tall now so I really don't know how I managed to get a 9lb6er lol.

i seem to have quite long babies so when ive bought newborn in the past ive ended up having to cut the feet off babygros lol im buyng a few newborn outfits for the first week or two but i know thats about as long as its gonna last the rest im getting 0-3 so less than a third of what im getting will be newborn x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"