• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

How do you ladies feel about a male gyno?

feedindy

Reaction score
So I actually started seeing the male doctor at my ob/gyn practice since I was 16 weeks along. I have seen several female gynos for just a regular yearly exam in my lifetime, and I must admit I was nervous when the male doctor took my appointments. I thought I might feel awkward. But so far he has been way better than all of the female doctors I have ever seen. He is very communicative and takes the time to make sure I understand everything, unlike every female doctor I have ever had who just seems to be in a rush and not very approachable in personality. Last week I had my first cervix check with the male doctor (up to now it has just been listening to heartbeats, measuring fundal heights). I was so nervous at first but it wasn't embarrassing at all.

But now I am thinking if I should continue with the doctor as my regular gyno after the baby because although he is a great doctor, will those yearly check ups feel more awkward with the whole breast exam and pap smear. I dunno.

So I was just wondering how you ladies felt about having a male gyno? Did you feel awkward with the breast exam, pap smear, speculum? Just curious...

i think at the minuit i would be a little bothered about it but once labour starts i dont think ill give a dam so long who ever is looking down there i assisting getting this baby out lol
with regards to after labour if hes good at his job why not carry on seeing him hes allready seen what you got down there now i imagine so :-/

I never see a male doctor for anything "down there" - we don't have check ups like you do in the US here in the UK though, I'd refuse to have a "male midwife" too"

x

I've seen mostly males with both pregnancies. I preferred them looking down there lol. They seemed to be more gentle than women, women would jam their fingers into me, whereas a man would take his time and only use 1.

That's changed with this practice though. The two drs that I've seen regularly have both examined my goods and it was really painful. The woman dr at the practice hasn't checked me but she takes more time to talk to me than the men do.

I've found the nurse practitioners the worst. And the nurses that check you in labor.

Before I moved to the UK, I ONLY had male gynos. They're the best. I much prefer them to female ones.

Isn't that weird how male doctors communicate better? As women, we assume a woman will be more understanding and in depth, but for me it has been the opposite too!

I had a male do my pap, breast exam, etc. and it hasn't been awkward at all. He's always very professional and you have to think of it this way... he sees so many lady parts everyday, at some point, they have to all look the same, otherwise these men wouldn't be able to do their jobs!

i've had a male gyno since i've been pregnant (this is my first pregnancy) when I was younger, I didn't feel comforable having a male gyno but now I don't mind at all. It had been a couple years since I had been to a gyno & he did all of the routine check ups. It wasn't uncomfortable at all. He was actually a lot more gentle, which was surprising. If you like and are comfortable with your gyno, stick with him.

Things work differently here but I do have a male GP. He never does 'intimate' examinations though. I always go to a nurse for that (he refers me to a nurse, never does 'those' examinations).

It sounds like it would be good to stick with him after birth too. As you feel comfortable with him and he is professional and good at his job I'd say you've got a good'un :D

whether or not I would have a male midwife would completely depend on the individual and same for a gynecologist. If I felt comfortable with them, then no problem.

Due to changing insurance and moving etc, I have had quite a few gynos. I have had experience with my yearly checkups with both and I have to say that the male ones were a lot more gentle "down there" than the female ones. That is just my personal experience though.

As far as pregnancy I just picked this one out because he was on the insurance and he was at the hospital I wanted and he turned out to be really great. All exams have been professional (and OH always comes in with me which I was expecting to be awkward but it wasn't!) and he has answered any questions etc.

BUT I have had no experience with a female doctor for pregnancy so I can't say anything about that.

I say if you like your doctor and are comfortable with him there is no reason to change. :)

I always feel comfortable with a male gyno. I actually prefer a male over a female when I get my pap smears done.

Before I'd gotten pregnant I'd only had females...then I was transferred to a male OB and it didn't really phase me after the first visit. It was slightly awkward when he was doing internal u/s's but I got over it. The only TRULY awkward moment was when I was constipated and he shoved his finger where the sun doesn't shine to check for piles....ughhh lol

I've always had a male obgyn. I've never been bothered by it. Male or female these are professionals when it comes right down to it.

I don't care either way. All male gynos I've seen seemed to have been more gentle than the females.... And once you have a baby and like 5 different people looking at you down there at the same time....it really doesn't make a difference if they're male or female.... LOL

My favorite OB is a male. :) My second favorite is a nurse pract and she is female. :)

I prefer my male gyno over the female who did my smear test. That cow was brutal and nearly had me in tears.
My gyno all through pregnancy has been a guy and he's very gentle, makes little jokes with me and stuff. I have no problem at all with a man seeing my foofy, it feels more normal to me than flashing a chick :haha:

id perfer to have a male then a female.
i find men are more caring and gentle when it comes to things like internals. and i would definatly perfer a male mw when it comes to delievering my baby but there arent any in my area :(

Thanks for all your input. I am sure everything would be professional. Never had a doubt about that. For some reason I just feel like the breast exam part would be really weird for me with a male doctor. I know that must sound silly because I am fine with them examining my lower half. But it can be hard to find a really good doctor, so I'll just have to eventually get over my embarrassment I guess.

I've never had a preference. I just see it as professionals doing their job. If anything were to happen that made me uncomfortable, either with a male or female, I would say something. The only time I prefer a male is when it's a psychologist or counselor. I don't know why.

Have ALWAYS had better experiences with male gyno's than female. First they have WAY better bedside manner......take more time to talk etc. I get the impression from the female ones that they've been there done that and it wasn't bad so I should quit my complaining. ON the other hand the males have NO IDEA what it's like to be preggo or have cramps and therefore are more sympathetic......just my thoughts! I will continue with male gyno after I have the baby. They see womens good all day everyday....it's their job.

I have experience with both male and female gynos and would always go for male! I had quite a painful procedure conducted by male gyno here and he was so delicate it actually was less unpleasant than any smear tests done by female nurses here (one was so rough, it actually brought me to tears!)

I would stick with him hun, he has seen it all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"