How do you tell if LO has tongue tie?

M

Mrs Mayhem

I'm a bit concerned about Holly's tongue. We have always remarked how it looks a little 'forked' sometimes, like a little snake!! She can't stick it out very far and when we have tried to lift it with the tip of the thermometer it doesn't lift very far at all.

Should this have been checked at birth? or at the 6 week check??

Thanks in advance for any advice! :flower:

my lo had a significant tongue tie he had a love heart shaped tongue and his tongue only reached the inside of his lip. i was told when i was discharged form hospital he had mild tongue tie but where i bf he couldnt latch when my milk came in. he had it snipped at the hospital at 4 days old. you could ask your gp :)

Thank you! Yeah, I think I'll ask the HV at baby clinic, if no luck there (as she is quite awkward) then I'll take her to the gp!

does it look like this, my son had a tongue tie and had it snipped a couple of weeks ago, his was quite tight.

SAM_0281.jpg

SAM_0282.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_0280.jpg
    SAM_0280.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 7
Sometimes they will see it and leave it be, depending on the severity of it. My boy has it slightly but it did interfere with bf. But because he feeds on a bottle perfectly fine then they are happy to leave him be. (I wish they caught it earlier so I could have bf but thats another story). The next time it will be really looked at is when he's on solids to make sure he can take from a spoon properly and then again when he begins to speak, it can cause some speach difficulties but nothing horrid. Over the months and years the baby will learn how to use his tounge if it is tied. There are people with strong tounge ties that eat and speak perfectly fine. It's basically just an issue of weather the specific child can figure it out or if it needs to be snipped (which can be done at any age).

Thank you soooo much! It does look like the pictures, am going to make a doctors appointment and get it checked out to be on the safe side!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->