How does lube affect ttc

hayz_baby

Mummy to 3 boys!
Reaction score
Since having lo we need to use the stuff and it is too painful for both of us if we don't. But I have heard that it can affect the sperm, is this true?

Hi there,

Yes, it is apparently harmful to the sperm - with the exception of Preseed & Conceive Plus which are helpful to TTC by mimicing natural vaginal secretions.

This is what I found online:

Yes. Research has found that vaginal lubricants are toxic to sperm and interfere with the role of the cervical mucus.

Normally, the vagina's own acidic secretions kill sperm, but the alkalinity of the cervical mucus produced just before ovulation protects the sperm. Artificial lubricants prevent the sperm from reaching the cervical mucus quickly, so they die in the acidic environment of the vagina before getting inside the uterus. (There is one brand of lubricant on the market, called Pre-Seed, that is said to be designed not to damage sperm.)

Any artificial lubricant, whether store-bought or found at home (such as egg whites or mineral oil), presents a potential problem. The best lubricant to use when conception is your goal is foreplay. Take your time working up to intercourse.

If you still have minimal mucus despite all attempts at foreplay, try using warm water as a lubricant. Water isn't toxic to sperm and won't interfere with the sperm's ability to reach the cervix.

Not sure that warm water would be any help as the information suggests, but I would recommend Conceive Plus or Preseed. I'm using Preseed and it's great for days when i don't have much CM.

Good luck TTC.

Best wishes xx

*TMI coming up*

I have that problem as well, but i'm super sensitive to lubricants (they irritate me really badly) so DH uses saliva as a lube for us. Not sure how much they harm sperm, but I've gotten pregnant 4 times using saliva in replace of a lube.

GL! :flower:

Well, yes studies have shown that lubricant can kill sperm (saliva too).

But, with my DD I tried to conceive month 1 using preseed- no luck. Month 2, I was going on vacation and didn't really have TTC on my brain as much so we used KY. I conceived that month. Actually, we did everything contrary to what you hear is best for TTC when we actually did conceive, so idk!

*TMI coming up*

I have that problem as well, but i'm super sensitive to lubricants (they irritate me really badly) so DH uses saliva as a lube for us. Not sure how much they harm sperm, but I've gotten pregnant 4 times using saliva in replace of a lube.

GL! :flower:

LOL TMI here too- But I swear by the same thing ROFL! Im soo happy Im not ashamed to say that now!!! :blush:

YEs but in all honesty thats what we do - plus I heard the PRe seed is good too- but PLEASE say no the the LUBE!!!!

i got my BFP the month we used conceive plus!

I like the sound of that I have just purchased Conceive plus, waiting for it to arrive in the post. AF is due today so when it gets here we will be ready to go.
I hope it works the same for me :)

Where do you get conceive plus from? Xx is it uk or us? X

All lube kills some sperm, some less so than others like preseed and conceive plus. I guess its about balancing the need for lube v the risk of loosing a few swimmers.
You could also try (plain) robitussion cough medicine to thin CM, instead of lube? Good luck. x

All lube kills some sperm, some less so than others like preseed and conceive plus. I guess its about balancing the need for lube v the risk of loosing a few swimmers.
You could also try (plain) robitussion cough medicine to thin CM, instead of lube? Good luck. x

:dohh: I bought conceive plus to assist the sperms as I dont actually need it for dryness.

However I have just read up about it online

Conceive Plus® is the only fertility lubricant to proactively aid your chances of getting pregnant. Its advanced formula contains magnesium and calcium ions, which are essential to prolonging sperm viability (keeping sperm healthy) and motility (helping sperm to swim). It also helps with the fertilisation to conception process.

In clinical trials it adversely affect motility of sperm, all lubes do to a certain extent. As I say it's a balance....
https://www.conceiveplus.com/the-science/

In clinical trials it adversely affect motility of sperm, all lubes do to a certain extent. As I say it's a balance....
https://www.conceiveplus.com/the-science/

Would you say I am better off not using It at all then? I dont want to ruin any chances lol

Not necessarily. I used pre seed the cycle I fell pregnant with dd as I was on clomid and was slightly dry.
That said if dryness isn't an issue why put chemicals up there? I think it's a balance. Pre seed definitely kills a good few sperm, there's even a pic on the box! With Vonceive plus its motility thats adversely affected. So I would consider it on your own needs, if you don't need lubrication I wouldn't use it personally, but each to their own. Good luck xxx

Thanks everyone for your replies! We will try and not use lube and see how it goes but if it is really not working for us we will test or chances with conceive plus. It's good to know so thank you very much x

Have a look into robitussin cough medicine to thin cm, there is interesting info and it doesn't change cm, just thins it making it easier for sperm to get through. I used this when i fell pregnant this time with twins. X

They say it does. I use a sperm friendly lube (pre seed) for many many months and never got pregnant. The month I used spit and astroglide (over the counter lubricant) I got pregnant. I've learned that using lube, makes my body stop producing my own bodily lubricants though, I toughed it out for a few months, and now produce a good amount of my own and was able to kick the bottle!

i got mine from amazon. it was preloaded in an applicator and i just inserted it before sex....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->