how dumb do you have to be?

smitsusan5

call me kayte (:
Reaction score
https://uk.health.lifestyle.yahoo.n...oked-20-cigarettes-a-day-during-pregnancy.htm

just a little read for you girls.

Where's the proof that it's so bad to smoke?
Please spay her.
I can at least understand when women are addicted and struggle to quit...but "smoking is good for my baby?"
Sigh.

I've watched a few of the episodes of Misbehaving Mums To Be, and i just dont understand these girls that smoke.. They're talking to the camera (soemtimes crying) saying, "it makes me so upset to think that smoking is harming my baby.." whilst smoking!? :shrug: but thinking its "good" for baby? Well, i guess all the research and studies were wrong then, eh?

I HATED her on misbehaving mums to be. "If I smoke lots of cigarettes it's making the babys heart beat stronger because it has to work harder to breathe"
UGHHHH. I know how hard it is, I quit smoking, when I had my positive pregnancy test. But I did it.

Em I just wanted to say that my friend Seanin text me in January to ask how I knew I was pregnant. I told her my symptoms, told her I took 2 pregnancy tests and then asked why. She continued to tell me that she hadn't had a period from September and thought she was pregnant. She was still taking the contraceptive pill every day, smoking 20 cigarettes a day, going out every weekend to get drunk, smoking marijuana everyday with her partner, not eating because she was dieting and not sleeping at all.

She hadn't tested because she said to her boyfriend at Christmas, "I think I might be pregnant" and he told her that he didn't want to know. She took a HPT and found out she was pregnant the next day. She was actually 16 weeks along and needed an emergency scan because she started to bleed. The baby was ok and she cut out the alcohol and the drugs. She was still smoking 20 a day, dieting, not eating because she "didn't want to put on weight" and when she was eating, it was sweets. She was still drinking 15 cups of tea a day :wacko:

Her original due date was the 28th of June but she was booked to be induced to the 26th of June. At 28 weeks she began to go into labour. She needed the steroid injection to try and stop the labour and thankfully it worked. When I went to visit her in the Hospital, she was in the bed having contractions and her aunty leaned over the bed and said "you will be ok pet, you just need a wee feg (slang for ciggarette)"! I actually could not believe it. And this woman has 3 children!!

She continued her bad habits and at her 34 week growth scan she was told that her babys head was out of proportion with the rest of it's body and that it's arms and legs were measuring 5 weeks behind what they should be for 34 weeks. She was told that her baby would be born with some form of disability or being unable to walk or taking years longer than other children to learn how to walk. She immediately quit smoking but it was obviously too late :nope:

Her daughter was born on Monday night at 36 weeks weighing 3lb. She had a traumatic labour and had to have an emergency C-Section. The baby is in the Neonatal Clinic at my local Hospital. I am waiting to hear about the babys health. She openly admitted during her whole pregnancy that she knew smoking was bad for the baby but she couldn't quit. It just makes me furious.

Holy shit Chloe that diisguists me so bad!!! I feel bad for that poor baby :( Have you heard about what the disabilitys this poor baby will have? I hope that she makes it through this and honestly that this girl doesn't get custody!!

I feel sorry for mums who struggle to do the right thing and quit, and I appreciate that they want to do the right thing and give them up. I sympathize with them, because I know its a hard habit to break. I don't judge any smoking mum thats actually making an honest effort to quit.

But for her to say its "good" for the baby? Sickening. She shouldn't be allowed keep that baby!

KittyCat18 ~ I feel so sorry for your friends baby! Any update on how shes doing? Thats truly awful, so selfish. Poor little girl, I hope shes okay :flower:

Em I just wanted to say that my friend Seanin text me in January to ask how I knew I was pregnant. I told her my symptoms, told her I took 2 pregnancy tests and then asked why. She continued to tell me that she hadn't had a period from September and thought she was pregnant. She was still taking the contraceptive pill every day, smoking 20 cigarettes a day, going out every weekend to get drunk, smoking marijuana everyday with her partner, not eating because she was dieting and not sleeping at all.

She hadn't tested because she said to her boyfriend at Christmas, "I think I might be pregnant" and he told her that he didn't want to know. She took a HPT and found out she was pregnant the next day. She was actually 16 weeks along and needed an emergency scan because she started to bleed. The baby was ok and she cut out the alcohol and the drugs. She was still smoking 20 a day, dieting, not eating because she "didn't want to put on weight" and when she was eating, it was sweets. She was still drinking 15 cups of tea a day :wacko:

Her original due date was the 28th of June but she was booked to be induced to the 26th of June. At 28 weeks she began to go into labour. She needed the steroid injection to try and stop the labour and thankfully it worked. When I went to visit her in the Hospital, she was in the bed having contractions and her aunty leaned over the bed and said "you will be ok pet, you just need a wee feg (slang for ciggarette)"! I actually could not believe it. And this woman has 3 children!!

She continued her bad habits and at her 34 week growth scan she was told that her babys head was out of proportion with the rest of it's body and that it's arms and legs were measuring 5 weeks behind what they should be for 34 weeks. She was told that her baby would be born with some form of disability or being unable to walk or taking years longer than other children to learn how to walk. She immediately quit smoking but it was obviously too late :nope:

Her daughter was born on Monday night at 36 weeks weighing 3lb. She had a traumatic labour and had to have an emergency C-Section. The baby is in the Neonatal Clinic at my local Hospital. I am waiting to hear about the babys health. She openly admitted during her whole pregnancy that she knew smoking was bad for the baby but she couldn't quit. It just makes me furious.

Things like that make me speechless. I often read on other boards how difficult it is to quit, and things like 'I'm quitting on Monday' and I just think why not quit like NOW? I know it's an addiction but it's a BABY and it's your baby. I just don't understand. Sorry, I know that is really controversial and obviously it's very difficult but surely it is difficult to know you're harming your baby and carry on? I hope her baby is okay though.

My niece is similar, and fair enough she's only 6 weeks pregnant but I still find it shocking that she still drinks and smokes. My mum says it's just the norm with her friends but it makes me so angry that she continues to smoke and, more so because it isn't an addiction, goes out drinking ALOT every few days. She has a few weeks in Ibiza booked this summer that she's still going to and I dread to think what'll go on. Sorry I know I sound so judgmental but I worry about every little twinge in my tummy I can't imagine how someone can knowingly harm their LO.

Holy shit Chloe that diisguists me so bad!!! I feel bad for that poor baby :( Have you heard about what the disabilitys this poor baby will have? I hope that she makes it through this and honestly that this girl doesn't get custody!!

I feel terrible for the baby and no, I am unaware yet of what problems her daughter will have. I am waiting for an update :flow: Unfortunately, social services will not get involved. Hundreds of mothers in the UK cause damage to their unborn babys every single day and they get off with it by saying "they didn't realise the danger"... :dohh:

KittyCat18 ~ I feel so sorry for your friends baby! Any update on how shes doing? Thats truly awful, so selfish. Poor little girl, I hope shes okay :flower:

No word yet Lucy :nope:

Things like that make me speechless. I often read on other boards how difficult it is to quit, and things like 'I'm quitting on Monday' and I just think why not quit like NOW? I know it's an addiction but it's a BABY and it's your baby. I just don't understand. Sorry, I know that is really controversial and obviously it's very difficult but surely it is difficult to know you're harming your baby and carry on? I hope her baby is okay though.

My niece is similar, and fair enough she's only 6 weeks pregnant but I still find it shocking that she still drinks and smokes. My mum says it's just the norm with her friends but it makes me so angry that she continues to smoke and, more so because it isn't an addiction, goes out drinking ALOT every few days. She has a few weeks in Ibiza booked this summer that she's still going to and I dread to think what'll go on. Sorry I know I sound so judgmental but I worry about every little twinge in my tummy I can't imagine how someone can knowingly harm their LO.

I understand how you feel. I was a smoker pre-pregnancy and now I am 34+3 weeks pregnant. Since finding out I was pregnant, I have had 8 menthol cigarettes in a bid to finally quit smoking. I tried quitting cold turkey and it made me feel very sick but I found that cutting down to half a cigarette when I really needed it, helped me a lot. I don't smoke now but I feel terrible guilty for the 8 I did have during pregnancy :nope: I know it wasn't good for my baby or for myself... I am blessed to be having a healthy baby.

Can't believe your nieces mum is letting her go to Ibiza in the Summer when she is pregnant :wacko:

I understand how you feel. I was a smoker pre-pregnancy and now I am 34+3 weeks pregnant. Since finding out I was pregnant, I have had 8 menthol cigarettes in a bid to finally quit smoking. I tried quitting cold turkey and it made me feel very sick but I found that cutting down to half a cigarette when I really needed it, helped me a lot. I don't smoke now but I feel terrible guilty for the 8 I did have during pregnancy :nope: I know it wasn't good for my baby or for myself... I am blessed to be having a healthy baby.

Can't believe your nieces mum is letting her go to Ibiza in the Summer when she is pregnant :wacko:
[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean people who smoke a few before quitting, and eight is pretty impressive. I meant second and third trimester forums where they're only just quitting. It's great they're trying but why on earth so late? :shrug: Anyway sorry I am going off topic.

Yeah well my sister (her mum) is lovely but she has some unusual theories. She smoked a joint around me when I was about 12 weeks and when I protested said it does the baby no harm and relaxes them, yeah right.

I didn't mean people who smoke a few before quitting, and eight is pretty impressive. I meant second and third trimester forums where they're only just quitting. It's great they're trying but why on earth so late? :shrug: Anyway sorry I am going off topic.

Yeah well my sister (her mum) is lovely but she has some unusual theories. She smoked a joint around me when I was about 12 weeks and when I protested said it does the baby no harm and relaxes them, yeah right.

I understand sweetheart :hugs: I still feel extremely guilty though.

That's absolutely ridiculous, no offence...

I remember that episode.

My OH almost a heart attack from shouting so much at the tv.

I understand sweetheart :hugs: I still feel extremely guilty though.

That's absolutely ridiculous, no offence...

None taken, I absolutely agree.

There was a psychological study on babies in the womb and it found that ones with mothers who smoked were prone to anxiety and depression because of the absolute fear they experienced at the cut off of oxygen when their mums smoked. It might be the hormones but that upsets me to the point of tears.

There was a psychological study on babies in the womb and it found that ones with mothers who smoked were prone to anxiety and depression because of the absolute fear they experienced at the cut off of oxygen when their mums smoked. It might be the hormones but that upsets me to the point of tears.

My mum had to do some of her nurse training on the children's ward in my local hospital and she had told me that if a mother is an alcoholic or drug addict, the baby is also born with an addiction and most be put through the stage of "cold turkey" and this usually involves some form of medication. She said that it can make the babys very very sick :shrug: I had never heard of it before and it really got to me...

My mum had to do some of her nurse training on the children's ward in my local hospital and she had told me that if a mother is an alcoholic or drug addict, the baby is also born with an addiction and most be put through the stage of "cold turkey" and this usually involves some form of medication. She said that it can make the babys very very sick :shrug: I had never heard of it before and it really got to me...

It's horrific, if the baby was a few months or weeks older then they'd be taken away by social services but before they're born there's the whole 'it's my body I'll do what I like' excuse which makes me sick. Just feel awful for the poor children. Happens way too often.

It's horrific, if the baby was a few months or weeks older then they'd be taken away by social services but before they're born there's the whole 'it's my body I'll do what I like' excuse which makes me sick. Just feel awful for the poor children. Happens way too often.

Yes, I completely agree that it is horrific. Social Services in the United Kingdom are obviously not doing their jobs properly any-more!

I think it's really sad TBH. I think some mothers get in the mind sight of "nothing bad will happen to me or my baby" when in reality you could be 100% healthy, do everything right, eat the right things, etc etc & something could still go wrong. I've seen my parents struggle to try to quit smoking, my mom openly admitted she smoke/drank throughout all her pregnancies and all us kids were fine. But, still... I just don't know what to say about mothers that smoke :nope: I have some sympathy but I think I can't imagine doing it but than again I've never smoked before.

That is f*cking DISGUSTING. I seriously felt sick reading that.... :growlmad: Poor baby.. :nope: update if you hear anything xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->