• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

How early did you wean baby?

HLx

Mummy to Layla, George & Enzo <3
Reaction score
Both my older two were 16 and 17 weeks. My first was weaned early due to being extremely hungry and my second was weaned due to horrible reflux and was advised to start a few solids here and here, which helped his weight drastically.

I plan on weaning my 3rd around the same time as hes a silent reflux sufferer and quite possibly the worst bottle feeder in the history of all baby kind. He hates feeds, he hates milk, he hates even lying still long enough to drink milk, so weaning will be the best thing for him, he loves anything with a taste, he cries more for more of his reflux meds than he does for his own milk! Problems much :haha:

So how soon did you wean? A few friends of mine started at 12 weeks

I weaned DD1 at 6 months
DD2 was around 5 1/2 , she had reflux and a undiagnosed milk allergy until she was 1 .
DS 6 1/2 months ,he also had reflux and milk allergy !

Oh the joys of allergy’s and weaning !

Aww I hope Enzo takes to weaning sounds like it’s the best thing for him !

DD - 4 months
DS1 - 6 months

Will be weaning DS2 at 6 months too. Hoping to do baby led weaning rather than the puree route, so waiting longer.
Plus dd is a HORRENDOUS eater. So so fussy.. always had a texture issue that i genuinely think came from eating so young where as DS1 eats everything. Fingers crossed DS2 will follow him instead :haha:

Aww that's brilliant thanks for that ladies! Tbh I really dont know how babies go to 6 months without real food because mine never did! Did their bottles increase with hunger, or did they feed more? I guess you just know when weaning is the right time for you, I'll definitely be getting enzo on them at 4 months, hes taken just 17oz of milk today, he just isn't interested, hes gaining the weight, but it's getting slower, I dont want to wish his life away, but its gonna be so much easier when I wean him, what do you do if your baby doesn't seem interested in milk! Tbh I can't blame him, with silent reflux and issues going on here and there I think he associates bottle feeding now with pain, so he dont want any of it!

I hope things improve when he is on solids!
Finley is on 5-6 bottles (6oz) in 24 hours at 3.5 months and seems pretty satisfied (apart from seeming like it wont come out fast enough for his liking :haha:)

As see that's how I know enzo is better off with being weaned a bit sooner, he takes 4 bottles a day, I make 6oz, sometimes he drinks the 6oz, sometimes he drink 3oz and fusses terrible, hes definitely not getting enough milk now hes dropped all night feeds, and as nice as it is having him sleep, I dont want the weight the fall him too quickly, I've tried all milks all medicines, to help the fussing, obviously he takes his ranitidine, but for the fussing and crying I've tried infacol and gripe water and nothing, he just doesn't like milk, I get bad anxiety coming up to feeding time because I know it's going to be a struggle! He has size 3 teats on his bottles, mainly because I put carobel thickner in his milk and it wont come out with the smaller holes, but i just can't get him to drink a good full bottle, well hardly anyway!

Last edited:

With my DD we tried at 5 months but she had no interest at all and it was ages before she was accepting solids.

With DS we waited until 6 months and did BLW. He did excellently with it and really enjoyed his food. He's much more fussy these days though!

Thanks bev, I was always lucky with my older two, they both loved food from day one and even now, layla has a bigger portion of food than me and eats absolutely everything, George is the fussy ones hes the type that doesn't like spaghetti hoops but will eat them if you call them 'Sonics golden rings' or doesn't like gammon (he nearly throws up when I say gammon) however I say its bacon and he eats it fine!:haha:

Sounds like solids will be the best thing for him! Fingers crossed :)

Haha, it's funny how they have their little quirks with food isn't it :haha:

Bev hes such a pain! He doesn't like potatoes but likes chips? Wont eat baked beans but will eat Mr Beans? Seriously that kid :haha:

Anyway as for enzo, he didn't take much at all yesterday 17oz in 24 hours, I probably worry too much, hes still sleeping through the night so hes obviously not starving, but on the other hand my anxiety is telling me that the only reason hes sleeping through the night is because hes malnourished and hes fatigued, like the poor children on them charity adverts. Seriously in think i worry more about his feeding than I do of anything else, and I probably shouldn't, hes always happy and smiley, but he starting to lose all his fat now, and hes looking quite slim, and I dont like it, I want my fat baby back :(

I started weening my daughter around 5 months & she did fine, I did try a bit earlier doing half and half but she wouldn't really drink the formula(maybe the different taste) she's now 8 months and loves it.

Things really are different! Here they say solids at 6 months (some say 4 months) BUT baby is still supposed to get formula or breastmilk until 1yr as primary nutrition.

Things really are different! Here they say solids at 6 months (some say 4 months) BUT baby is still supposed to get formula or breastmilk until 1yr as primary nutrition.

That is the same as here, when to wean they say 6 months, but I have heard they are going to lower it back to 4 months, due to more babies having solids before 6 months I guess. I do know that milk will still be primary until a year old, even while slotting in 3 meals a day. My second was weaned at 16 weeks due to reflux, and he had 3 meals a day, plus dessert, and he still had 4 7oz bottles a day, fair to say he was a right chunk in the end, but that was what I wanted, he spent his baby months losing weight from the reflux as he couldn't keep a thing down! But I do know after a year it's more food than milk, but milk is still important for the calcium and so on

My DD1 is soooo fussy she’s neerly 7 and it’s getting worse ! I blame the fact she was the first and we kept her on baby jar food / meals for so long !

We did a mixture of BLW and traditional with DD2 and with DS we are going the same route as DD2 but allowing for more BLW.

Their little ways are so frustrating but funny at the same time!

My daughter is 8 months. She has been eating baby food (jar foods/organic) since 4 months and I am just now starting her on actual solid foods. Little bit at a time because I get nervous about choking.

My daughter is 8 months. She has been eating baby food (jar foods/organic) since 4 months and I am just now starting her on actual solid foods. Little bit at a time because I get nervous about choking.

Once she gets used to that solid food and learns to enjoy it, there’s no going back. It’s a real pleasure sharing our dinners with our 1 year old. I started with Cheerios and fruit, but she quickly graduated to coins of string cheese, meat, vegetables and much more.

My first was 8 months, my second was 6/7 months. My 3rd was 6 months and my 4th I tried at 6 months but he wasn't interested so he was closer to 8 months. I've never done baby led weaning. It scares me Haha x

My first was 8 months, my second was 6/7 months. My 3rd was 6 months and my 4th I tried at 6 months but he wasn't interested so he was closer to 8 months. I've never done baby led weaning. It scares me Haha x

I've never done it either! They've moved onto it soon after purees, but I've always started with purees purely because I enjoy feeding them it, once they are able to sit in a chair and feed themselves I feel like I'm no longer needed :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"