how easy is a holiday??

kateqpr

Reaction score
We're thinking of going on holiday in the end of May with Poppy. She'll be nearly 3 months then. We're hoping to book a villa a short flight away. Can anyone shed light on how they managed it with a new baby?

I'm a bit confused by how best to travel on a plane, and when we're there. IE, do i take moses basket? Carrycot? Pram? Can we check in pram on flight (will it get damaged??)? Also, how did you work car seats if you hired a car?

Just seems like a lot to think about, but definitely want to make sure we get away!

great idea to get away from it all :) i'm sorry i'm not much help though i haven't taken the kids away so i have no idea what would happen

i havent been abroad but been for weekends away and the car is rammed full of everything we need.

not sure about the pram, only prams i have ever seen on aeroplane are like umbrella buggies not a proper pram but not sure if u can take them.

most car hiring companies for an extra charge provide a carseat for you

good luck hun, i hope you manage to get away

Lou
xxx

hi. i was away last feb with my 10 year old daughter ang 1 1/2 month old baby. It was grand on the plane. all they do is sleep tbh. i just make sure i feed the LO while taking off and landing. I was very lucky as we went to the states to see my parents and relatives and one of my cousin lend me her car seat and pram. Arwyn sleeps with us on the bed so i didnt bother bringing the moses basket. if you can buy cheap pram it would be better because its not a guarantee that your pram will not be broken and you cant bring your car seat. you have to check it in with your baggage.
i hope this helps (at least)

Most airlines will check in most things but obviously there is no guarentee things won't get damaged. We are going abroad in June and I have just bought a Quinny Zapp to take with us, so i don't have to take my big pushchair.
You can get travel cots that collapse down quite small, and the airline i use to work for did allow these to be checked into the hold of the aircraft. The only thing that does cause a problem at the minute is the security at the airports with the liquids! My friend has just returned from her holiday and was made to open all the baby food and milk and taste them all in front of the security man! My sister is still cabin crew so if you need any info let me know and i can ask her for you.
xx
p.s check with the villa as they may have a cot there and then you could just take a mattress topper with you if you didn't want Poppy to sleep on it.
Our hotel has the cot but i just bought a topper from ikea and am just taking her own sheets! Have tried it in one of those suck down bags so it won't take up much space!
xx

Jasper and I went on a two-part holiday, involving three plane flights in total, and it was heaps easier than I thought. He was 3 and a half months old at the time and we managed.

I carried him on board with a sling, which worked OKAY, but next time I'd take the Baby Bjorn, I felt I needed something a bit more secure - and you have to take it off on the plane anyway, because baby needs their own seatbelt - which threads through yours and they sit on your lap.

I travelled with - wait for it - a pram, a travel cot, a car seat, a nappy bag and a giant suitcase!

Nothing was damaged or lost on the flight and the aussie airline I traveled with dont charge excess luggage for anything baby-related!

I hope that helps!

I'll add, I did it solo... daddy stayed home.

We're thinking of going on holiday in the end of May with Poppy. She'll be nearly 3 months then. We're hoping to book a villa a short flight away. Can anyone shed light on how they managed it with a new baby?

I'm a bit confused by how best to travel on a plane, and when we're there. IE, do i take moses basket? Carrycot? Pram? Can we check in pram on flight (will it get damaged??)? Also, how did you work car seats if you hired a car?

Just seems like a lot to think about, but definitely want to make sure we get away!

Amber was about 9months so bit of a difference.
We took a stroller, we used it around the airport they put it on plane as we boarded. If i was taking younger baby, id probably buy 1 of them fold up moses baskets u can buy, taking a travelcot may be bit to big.
The carseats usually come already strapped in to hire cars.
On plan Amber was ok going, wasnt as good as i hoped, coming back was fine. At aiport i had try her babyfood, and the water i had for her bottle, and her drink, yuk! Best read up on baby things on website of aiport your flying from.
Tbh it was hard work, im not planning on going on any holidays again with children until they are at least 3!

we're taking alex to ireland the end of may. we're buying a stroller suitable from birth / 3 months to take with us and have checked that and his car seat in with the airline. we've hired a largish car so are just hoping the car seat fits, but otherwise you can hire car seats.

sleepwise we're hiring a travel cot, lots of villas / cottages do them.

feeding (you bf so prob not an issue) i'm looking at small microwave sterilisers or cold water sterilising

DON'T FORGET SHE'LL NEED A PASSPORT! I'm still sprting Alex's out, a right nightmare!

Different airlines will let you take on different amounts of items. We're looking into flying with BA at the end of June and we're allowed a pram, car seat, suitcase and changing bag for baby.

If you have a big pram it will have to be checked in, whereas smaller ones (and the car seats) you keep with you up until boarding and then they put them in the hold. I'm pretty worried about taking my travel system and so looking at a stroller suitable from birth.

thanks!

What sort of strollers from birth can you get then? Are they cheap?

Also, never heard of folding moses baskets!!

thanks!

What sort of strollers from birth can you get then? Are they cheap?

Also, never heard of folding moses baskets!!

I'm looking at a selection on kiddicare.com and they start from around £60 https://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wc...9_10751_14552_filter_set_-1_14552_10001_14552

My carrycot on my pram is folding, which if I did take my pram I would use for the baby to sleep in at night. Or you can get pop-up travel cots like this https://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wc...ctdisplayA_42_10751_-1_14053_1537_10001_14053

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->