How hard is it for you to eat well right now?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by ao30, Jun 2, 2011.

1. ao30

ao30 Well-Known Member

Is morning sickness affecting your eating habits? Are you getting strange cravings? Have you changed your diet since finding out you were pregnant/beginning TTC?

I'm a pretty healthy eater- lots of veggies, fruits, and water at home- though I don't mind the occasional hamburger or pizza when dining out :). I don't have morning sickness at this point, so I haven't had a problem keeping anything down. Instead I've actually been eating even healthier- just knowing that my baby's heart and other little organs are forming makes me want to pack my body full of vitamins and nutrients.

Anyone else motivated by their pregnancy to eat better? I keep reaching for blueberries, nuts, and salads...

2. xxEMZxx

xxEMZxx Guest

I'm currently eating haribo sweets :/ lol I'm finding it harder day by day to eat much esp healthy stuff.

3. ao30

ao30 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'm wondering if my healthy cravings will change once I get further along in my pregnancy ;)

4. Dani_87

Dani_87 Pregnant Fit Mommy! :)

I have definitely kinda gone a little off path of my healthy eating. I used to eat at least 1 salad a day, but now...I have no craving for one whatsoever. I really only eat one if it's a basic small salad before a meal. I have been eating a tad bit more sweets and 'bad' stuff, but I haven't cut out healthy eating all together. I still aim to eat fruits and veggies every day, veggies instead of fries when we go out. I've been purchasing all organic meats (especially chicken), milk, any fruits/veggies that you eat the skin of, and any product that just catches my eye! I aim for high fiber, high protein and low sugar.

Now that I realize I just went on a long rant...LOL there is my response! :p

5. Eternal

Eternal Three boys!

I eat what i can stomach the thought of, usually isnt too healthy lol!

I did eat super well when TTC and i took lots of vitamins etc then.

Now im still taking the vitamins but eat anything that i like the look of. usually not the most healthy.

I tend to lose weight in pregnancy, i lost 3 in my first (pre weight to full term weight), almost 2 in my second which i lost at 11 weeks and this time my weight has stayed exatcly the same dispite the fact its twins. i am actually trying to pile weight on lol!

my babies get what they need though, but at present its a choice of unhealthy food or no food.

6. Sketcher

Sketcher Well-Known Member

Mm I'm finding it quite hard at the moment, I don't really have sickness but I've lost my appetite for healthy stuff. The thought of eating a bowl of salad even with really nice dressing is really un appealing right now. Usually its cereal at breakfast, a sandwich at lunch - which I do put salad in so its sort of disguised, and then some kind of meet with rice/potatoes/couscous and some veg for dinner. But finding it really hard to chew veg without feeling a little ill.
    very annoying!
    And I do want sweets but I'm trying just to have a couple a day, into fruit pastels recently. Luckily I can't fit in as much choc as I used to!
    Also I'm finding it hard to be hungry enough to fit in the 5 a day.
    So I don't think my diet is great but its not terrible, hopefully!

I was thinking of getting all organic, but at the moment Im just going with Kosher meat when at home (as I have whole life being jewish). And with veg, I just can't find everything I want in organic form, and I've heard plenty of women don't eat organic and have fine healthy babies so I'm not worryng too much about that. I just try and not eat anything too processed, everyting pasterurised bla bla.

At the moment in afternoon I'm liking apple with red leicester cheese!

But when it comes to the bad stuff, the guilt is a bit supressed by the though I'm taking the vitamins so at least everything going in ??

7. BabyDust2011

BabyDust2011 mummy to a princess

im just eating what i fancy tbh lately im struggling really bad to keep anything down so what ever i eat and keep down im happy, my dr told me not to worry at this stage about what you eat as baby only takes a little bit of what it needs

8. Eternal

Eternal Three boys!

i tend to get organic where i can but i am not too bothered where i cant, if it has a skin that you dont eat then evidence suggests it doenst matter, i.e. bannas. although i always buy organic bannas weirdly lol!

anyway, i wouldnt worry too much about getting organic, organic meat is mega expensive, although i prefer to souce meat loaclly if i can, it was easier in scotland to my local but much harder here in swansea :S

9. ao30

ao30 Well-Known Member

I agree Eternal- if I have to choose between organic and local, I choose local.

I will probably be laughing at myself in a few weeks when my healthy cravings vanish and are replaced with cravings for everything else. I'm just shy of 6 weeks, and all of you seem to be further along, so I'm guessing it just hasn't caught up with me yet.

On the other hand, I may just be reaching for fruits and vegetables because it's been too warm to think about hot foods.

10. Dani_87

Dani_87 Pregnant Fit Mommy! :)

Only reason I have been consuming as much organic as possible is not necessarily for the health of the baby, but more to avoid as many hormones as possible in the foods. I don't want to have a little girl developing boobs at 5y.o.! lol (although I obviously don't know the sex, yet. lol)

11. DG1984

DG1984 Mommy to Noah

I've been worrying because I haven't exactly be eating healthy at night time, though during the day I'm eating lots of fruits and veggies. But my morning sickness has been so bad I'm lucky to keep anything down. I'm ready for this m/s to end so I can start eating healthier.