How is this wrong?!

pinkneon

Birth mommy xx
Reaction score
We have some friends who has a little boy a few months older than E. They are a black family and asked if they could get E a raggy doll for her birthday. They sent me an email with the raggy doll they were thinking of, and it's a gorgeous ethnic raggy doll. She's black, an has black hair etc. I have just been told by another friend that E can't have it - although she didn't say "because it's black" she implied it ... But I can't see anything wrong with giving her an ethnic doll? In my opinion it'll help her to understand that people look different but are the same ... She has a raggy doll already, which I think is meant to be Scottish - she was wearing Tartan, is called Iona and has bright red hair! No one complained when I gave that raggy doll to E. Is it wrong to give her this raggy doll? I personally don't think so, but wanted to know what other people thought ...

Not at all! I think its a wonderful idea! like you said it will show her that everyone is different which I think is a great thing to be taught at a young age.

Not at all and it's ridculou that you're friend even brought it up

Totaly agree with TaraLynn.. Hope ur lo has fun playing with it :)

Thanks. It's as silly as saying she can't have a boy doll or have a train (which she is also getting for her birthday!) or like saying that boys can't play with dolls and can't push around dolls prams ...

If I give my DD1 a choice of dolly then she always always chooses the ethnic doll! She just seems to prefer them to the white ones! No idea why as we live in cornwall where ethnic people really are in the minority so I am really pleased that she doesn't seem to judge dollys (and hopefully people later) by skin colour. Your friend is being a bit ridiculous IMO.

Of course it is not wrong. I think it is a lovely way to teach your lo about different people and races. In fact, do you know where your friend was getting it from?

She's not 100% sure. They have some on Ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...kw=ethnic+rag+dolls&_sacat=See-All-Categories) but we have some nice shops here that sell Raggy Dolls too so she might get one from there ...

I think theyre fine. I also got a thing for the Golli dolls. They have such an uproar that theyr racist but I love them and dont think theyr racist at all :shrug: Theyr quite expensive nowadays and collectable. Id like one but theyr usually £20+ starting price and I dont want to spend that much on a doll :haha:

Your friend seems to live a pretty sheltered life. :thumbup:

I'm going to get her an atomonically (sp?) correct doll too - so she can have a little boy "baby". She played with one once, and it had no clothes on and she kept trying to pull his bits off :haha: oops!

IMHO Your friend is the one in the wrong. x

I'm going to get her an atomonically (sp?) correct doll too - so she can have a little boy "baby". She played with one once, and it had no clothes on and she kept trying to pull his bits off :haha: oops!

:rofl:

I think it's a fantastic idea!

My very best girlfriend actually travels around the world - she is not married and has no kids of course. She is my daughter's godmother and gets her a doll from each country she has visited. Madeline's favorite doll is the one from Africa - a beautiful little black doll with colorful clothing. I always thought it was a great way to teach Madeline that not everyone looks like her and people are different wherever you go!

That's crazy your friend would say something like that. Barbies also come in all races and when I was little I had so many barbies all different races, and I loved them. It shows every race is beautiful and we need to teach our children not to be judging and raciest, everyone is created equal. She needs to get a clue!

I dont c y not, however their was a black rag doll banned here and a sho got in trouble 4 selling them. I cant remember what they were called. but i didnt think there was anything wrong with it!

Oh please, why is this even a discussion, are we living in the Victorian era?

Oh please, why is this even a discussion, are we living in the Victorian era?

Because I wanted to know people's opinions. Occasionally people say my baby shouldn't have something and I disagree, but sometimes it's because I've missed the point they're trying to make. I know a lot of people who don't agree with giving boys dolls, or girl trains and in a way this is similar ...

I'll tell you why this kind if thing annoys me. My family is black, as am I, and people replying to this thread patronisingly saying oooh I think it's a great idea, is just insulting, luke it's so different to have a black doll. I'm sorry, I am never outspoken on here, but this made my blood boil! Ooh look my baby she has a black doll, isn't she cosmopolitan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->