How is this wrong?!

I'll tell you why this kind if thing annoys me. My family is black, as am I, and people replying to this thread patronisingly saying oooh I think it's a great idea, is just insulting, luke it's so different to have a black doll. I'm sorry, I am never outspoken on here, but this made my blood boil! Ooh look my baby she has a black doll, isn't she cosmopolitan!

So, I'm guessing you'll make sure your own daughter has plenty of white dolls to play with?

I'll tell you why this kind if thing annoys me. My family is black, as am I, and people replying to this thread patronisingly saying oooh I think it's a great idea, is just insulting, luke it's so different to have a black doll. I'm sorry, I am never outspoken on here, but this made my blood boil! Ooh look my baby she has a black doll, isn't she cosmopolitan!

And .. forgive me.. but your post annoys me because you have a bunch of people that are talking out against an obvious racist and that's simply just not good enough for you. You still found fault with this thread. Patronizing: means that you think no one on this thread really meant what they said. So you're stereotyping everyone on this thread with that comment.

Op's friend made me roll my eyes.. but your post kinda did too.

That's so silly, I don't even know what to say...

I used to play with them when I was younger and I think (especially if you don't live in a very ethnic area) that its important for babies/kids to learn that people don't all look the same but are the same. My nana never bothered telling my mum when she was young and the area they lived in was very 'white' and other ethnicitys were not seen there very often. When my mum first saw a woman of another colour she shouted it out on the bus infront of lots of people 'mummy why is that lady brown?', because of her upbringing and not being taught of these things she didn't understand that people could have different coloured skin and was quite scared. So when me and my sister were younger we were taught about other races etc by playing with dolls :)

I'm not sure what cosmopolitan means ...

The reason I asked the question was because I wanted other people's opinions. I do know people who would refuse to give their children black dolls. I know some black families who refuse to let their children have white dolls. I also know (as someone else mentioned) that some black dolls had been banned, which is why I wanted to know what people thought. If you read my first post you will see that the people giving her the doll are a black family who are friends of mine.
I want to teach my daughter that everyone is the same, no matter what the color of their skin is, or their disabilities. I want her to be able to mix other children, no matter who they are or where they come from. I don't want her to not play with a child just because their different. I want her to understand that black children are still children. I think that by giving her a black doll it'll help her understand this better, and from a much earlier age! We live in a world where people judge others because of appearences and I don't want my child growing up like that.
This post wasn't to offend anyone, it was simply to ask for opinions on firstly whether it was "wrong" to give her the doll, and if so to try and find out why, because like I said before sometimes I miss the reason why people tell me she can't have certain things or shouldn't do certain things ...

I think theyre fine. I also got a thing for the Golli dolls. They have such an uproar that theyr racist but I love them and dont think theyr racist at all :shrug: Theyr quite expensive nowadays and collectable. Id like one but theyr usually £20+ starting price and I dont want to spend that much on a doll :haha:

I remember reading about a black social worker whose colleagues were horrified that she had a golly doll from her childhood; they said she must have some really unresolved issues and must get rid of it, which she did and really regretted it-because it was a toy from her childhood which she loved; end of. Its ridiculous IMHO, as is your friend, dolls are dolls. My OH is 'black' of mixed heritage and his family wouldn't give a stuff what colour a doll as a present was; nor would they be remotely offended xx

For the record, the friend who told me it would be "wrong" to give the doll to my baby is one of those people who absolutely refuses to give her children black dolls or even let the boys play with dolls

All this fuss over a doll, is my baby cosmopolitan because his teddy bears are brown, I wonder? :)

I'm not sure what cosmopolitan means ...

The reason I asked the question was because I wanted other people's opinions. I do know people who would refuse to give their children black dolls. I know some black families who refuse to let their children have white dolls. I also know (as someone else mentioned) that some black dolls had been banned, which is why I wanted to know what people thought. If you read my first post you will see that the people giving her the doll are a black family who are friends of mine.
I want to teach my daughter that everyone is the same, no matter what the color of their skin is, or their disabilities. I want her to be able to mix other children, no matter who they are or where they come from. I don't want her to not play with a child just because their different. I want her to understand that black children are still children. I think that by giving her a black doll it'll help her understand this better, and from a much earlier age! We live in a world where people judge others because of appearences and I don't want my child growing up like that.
This post wasn't to offend anyone, it was simply to ask for opinions on firstly whether it was "wrong" to give her the doll, and if so to try and find out why, because like I said before sometimes I miss the reason why people tell me she can't have certain things or shouldn't do certain things ...

I think you're very sweet... and that you should frankly ignore that poster. You clearly didn't mean anything offensive as did anyone else on this thread.

Thanks. I still don't know what cosmopolitan means though!

I'll pm it to you. I don't wish to give anymore time on here to what was said.

Inappropriate posts have been removed ;)

I don't think it's wrong at all. As others have said it'll teach your LO that wecome in all shapes, sizes and colours. Be proud that you're encouraging your child to be open minded and accepting of all people!!x

Easiest and best way to approach it? It's a doll, a present from your friends to your LO. The colour is completely irrelevant and anyone who makes an issue of it should take a good hard look at themselves.

as above hun, i think you have the perfect attitude, lyss loves pushing her teddybear around in a toy wheelchair at the cm's, im sure some people would find that offensive, i think its great that she is being exposed to the knowledge that everyone is different and thats ok,
maybe if everyone was as open minded as you i wouldnt find myself being called over-dramatic and being told im smothering lyssa, when i say she cant do certain things. or wont be able to do certain things in the future, becuase of her heart condition x

So, it's insulting for people to want their children to know that color doesn't matter, that everyone is the same? I don't follow your logic or see why that would make your blood boil. :shrug:

I can actually see where Princess is coming from. But Princess it isn't meant in a bad way u know that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->