How long after a dog has puppies can she get pregnant again??

Status
Not open for further replies.

britt1986

Reaction score
My dog had puppies 4 weeks ago and it looks like she may be pregnant again already.

is this possible?

I am not sure, but if she isnt i would get her done.

V xxx

I think it's more or less impossible that she is pregnant again so soon after giving birth, is she still lactating? Most bitches will follow a 5-6 month cycle although some will come back on heat after 4 months.
What symptoms does she have that would suggest she's pregnant again?

I think it's more or less impossible that she is pregnant again so soon after giving birth, is she still lactating? Most bitches will follow a 5-6 month cycle although some will come back on heat after 4 months.
What symptoms does she have that would suggest she's pregnant again?

I'm not really sure if she is still lactating or not. I do know that she is not feeding her pup anymore (she only had 2 and the female passed away at birth:cry:).

After she had her pups of course, she lost her "baby" weight and looked the same before her pregnancy. Now she is getting a lot bigger. She looks the same as she was when I noticed she was pregnant the first time.

Is she eating and drinking normally? If she looks bloated I think you're best getting her checked by your vet, does she have any discharge? I'd be worried about possible retained placenta or a uterine infection related to hormonal changes.

Is she eating and drinking normally? If she looks bloated I think you're best getting her checked by your vet, does she have any discharge? I'd be worried about possible retained placenta or a uterine infection related to hormonal changes.

She is eating and drinking just fine. No discharge. She is her same self. Running around like normal.

Word fail me... :nope:

No, she cannot be pregnant again, she will not ovulate until her next season. However, more importantly it is essential you do not take her out when she has puppies as you risk bringing back illness and infecting the pups, or do you have an entire male dog on the premises?

If the pups are four weeks old, ideally she should still be feeding them, most bitches naturally wean at around 6-8 weeks if allowed unlimited access to their puppies. If she is a small or toy breed (and I am assuming she may be as she had only two pups) it's actually pretty important she feeds her pup for as long as possible.

It would really be best to get her neutered, there are so many unwanted dogs and whelping in very dangerous for a bitch.

No, she cannot be pregnant again, she will not ovulate until her next season. However, more importantly it is essential you do not take her out when she has puppies as you risk bringing back illness and infecting the pups, or do you have an entire male dog on the premises?

If the pups are four weeks old, ideally she should still be feeding them, most bitches naturally wean at around 6-8 weeks if allowed unlimited access to their puppies. If she is a small or toy breed (and I am assuming she may be as she had only two pups) it's actually pretty important she feeds her pup for as long as possible.

It would really be best to get her neutered, there are so many unwanted dogs and whelping in very dangerous for a bitch.

There is no male dog here, only strays running around. The father of her first litter is a boxer. She is not a toy breed. She is a Chesapeake Bay retreiver around 60lbs.

i dont no ive heard confilcting things such as bitchs can get pregnant again straight away after to no not untill they come into season again. I would take her to the vets to find out for sure hun

Bitches generally come into season (on heat) every 6 months on average)

It less likely shes pregnant again.. could need worming..
get her to the vets to get checked over- if nothing else she needs (and pups) to be checked at 4 weeks and 8 weeksa anyways for health and worming.

Otherwise it could be more a serious problem like placenta left behind or womb infection.. these both are very common after a bitch has given birth. x

Vet will be the only one to tell you whats up :thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup:

Get her to the vets ASAP and if she is not pregnant get her neutered!

I think she really needs to be checked out, your vets will advise you but it's usual to wait a couple of months post partum to have her spayed to minimise the risk of haemorrhage etc as it gives everything time to get back to normal. She will also need to have stopped lactating completely.
How is the remaining pup doing? Are you supplementing?

Are you letting her out by herself that would mean she could have been impregnanted? If so, are you purposely trying to breed her? If you aren't, then I would keep her inside unless you are outside with her, then in a few months, when pup is fully independent and not nursing anymore, I would go and get her neutered, then you never have to worry about this again!

Are you letting her out by herself that would mean she could have been impregnanted? If so, are you purposely trying to breed her? If you aren't, then I would keep her inside unless you are outside with her, then in a few months, when pup is fully independent and not nursing anymore, I would go and get her neutered, then you never have to worry about this again!

She is an outside dog. She is very well taken care of. She has a heated dog house which has a doggy door on it. She can go in and out as she pleases. We have a 5 foot tall fenced in backyard. The only dog that has ever been able to jump it was the Boxer that lives a few houses down from us that gets out all the time. So, no I am not purposely breeding her.

I just see these types of threads time and time again and wonder, if you don't want to breed your pet, then get them neutered, as soon as you get them, have them neutered. It's that simple.

I just see these types of threads time and time again and wonder, if you don't want to breed your pet, then get them neutered, as soon as you get them, have them neutered. It's that simple.

Well lets see here, I spent 70,000 on a house and 1/4 acre land, I spent almost 2,000 on a 5 ft tall fence to go around it and so my dog will have plenty of room to run and then you have people who let there dogs roam around and jump into other peoples yards and knock my dog up. Maybe they should have their dog fixed, mine is not the one roaming the neighborhood. And for what it's worth, I was planning on having my girl bred when I found the right male so I didnt want to get her fixed. And yes, this is MY dog in MY yard inside MY fence.

I see these types of replies time and time again and I wonder, do you ever ask for all the facts, or do you always post snotty replies first?:thumbup:

Unfortunately though, you can't try and make other people responsible owners, all you can do, if you don't want to breed your pet, is desex them. (OP said she didn't want to breed her dog.)
If you want to breed your dog, you can be responsible and have all the fencing in the world put up, but unfortunately male dogs tend to have super ability to gain access to a female in heat. I suppose that is a risk you have to take when you don't desex and let your dog outside unsupervised, even if it is in a fenced yard.
I still think the simple answer, if you don't want to breed, is to have your pet desexed.

Unfortunately though, you can't try and make other people responsible owners, all you can do, if you don't want to breed your pet, is desex them. (OP said she didn't want to breed her dog.)
If you want to breed your dog, you can be responsible and have all the fencing in the world put up, but unfortunately male dogs tend to have super ability to gain access to a female in heat. I suppose that is a risk you have to take when you don't desex and let your dog outside unsupervised, even if it is in a fenced yard.
I still think the simple answer, if you don't want to breed, is to have your pet desexed.

OP's dog is actually my dog. OP is my wife.

ok...? So you want to breed in the future? It sounded as though op didn't want to breed her dog. I am not sure your reasons for wanting to breed your dog but best of luck to you. Breeding and whelping takes a lot of responsibility, time, money and experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back