How long after a dog has puppies can she get pregnant again??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just see these types of threads time and time again and wonder, if you don't want to breed your pet, then get them neutered, as soon as you get them, have them neutered. It's that simple.

Well lets see here, I spent 70,000 on a house and 1/4 acre land, I spent almost 2,000 on a 5 ft tall fence to go around it and so my dog will have plenty of room to run and then you have people who let there dogs roam around and jump into other peoples yards and knock my dog up. Maybe they should have their dog fixed, mine is not the one roaming the neighborhood. And for what it's worth, I was planning on having my girl bred when I found the right male so I didnt want to get her fixed. And yes, this is MY dog in MY yard inside MY fence.

I see these types of replies time and time again and I wonder, do you ever ask for all the facts, or do you always post snotty replies first?:thumbup:

And time and time again we see irresponsible owners letting their dogs get "knocked up" for no reason. How old is your dog, might I ask? How did a dog get over a 5 ft fence onto your land? Are you going to leave her pup intact so you can breed from her to? Why do you want to breed from your dog? Is she a prime example of her breed? Does she have papers? There are too many dogs that are already homeless and in shelters without back yard breeding.

I just see these types of threads time and time again and wonder, if you don't want to breed your pet, then get them neutered, as soon as you get them, have them neutered. It's that simple.

Well lets see here, I spent 70,000 on a house and 1/4 acre land, I spent almost 2,000 on a 5 ft tall fence to go around it and so my dog will have plenty of room to run and then you have people who let there dogs roam around and jump into other peoples yards and knock my dog up. Maybe they should have their dog fixed, mine is not the one roaming the neighborhood. And for what it's worth, I was planning on having my girl bred when I found the right male so I didnt want to get her fixed. And yes, this is MY dog in MY yard inside MY fence.

I see these types of replies time and time again and I wonder, do you ever ask for all the facts, or do you always post snotty replies first?:thumbup:

If you have an entire bitch it is your responsibility to make sure she cannot get accidentally pregnant. Maybe dog owners have a 6ft fence that their dog jumped out of to get to yours? A 5ft fence isn't adequate to keep dogs out when a bitch is in heat and no in season bitch should be out unsupervised, it's simply irresponsible. An unplanned and unsupervised mating alone can kill a bitch if something goes wrong, let alone a pregnancy and whelping. :nope:

Why do you want to breed any way?

an intact male will smell a bitch in season n could easily clear a 5ft fence or higher
if the dog is in your garden no u dont expect it to get pregnant, i can see both sides i own labs whilst u dont expect it u have to be aware that is a male dogs instinct n unfortunatly all the time irresponsible people let their dogs roam it can happen im afraid its down to the resposible dog owners to prevent it wether they are in your garden or not
OP- ultimately its the bitch or pups that suffer if it happens n things go wrong you are the one thats left to deal with it so it would be in your interest to prevent it im not being funny thats the reality how old is your bitch? when did u notice she was pregnant this time? are u aware of mismate? you can believe it or not get doggie contraception!!
i aso agree with tegans mama is she a good example of her breed have exceptional temprement good line of pedigree also another point if u do intend to breed 'most' in the know buyers will want a home raised social pup if your bitch lives outside it may go against u as the pups will be ouutside dogs too

WOW! I come on here to ask a simple question and get jumped. I feel the love!

Yes, you have to remember that there are many members on here who have experience with breeding and seeing you come on here saying you think your dog might be pregnant 4 weeks after having pups stirs up some feelings for members who are passionate about dogs and animals in general. For one it shows you have absolutely no experience with breeding. And as I already said, it sounded as though you also didn't want to breed your dog, but then your husband has come on and said you want to breed in the future and it's not your problem that neighbours dogs are able to get at your un neutered female.

ok...? So you want to breed in the future? It sounded as though op didn't want to breed her dog. I am not sure your reasons for wanting to breed your dog but best of luck to you. Breeding and whelping takes a lot of responsibility, time, money and experience.

yes, I am aware of the time and money incurred from breeding her, unfortuantly this was accidental.

And time and time again we see irresponsible owners letting their dogs get "knocked up" for no reason. How old is your dog, might I ask? How did a dog get over a 5 ft fence onto your land? Are you going to leave her pup intact so you can breed from her to? Why do you want to breed from your dog? Is she a prime example of her breed? Does she have papers? There are too many dogs that are already homeless and in shelters without back yard breeding.

You calling me irresponsible? My dog is fenced in, not running wild around the town? How did the dog get in the fence......it jumped:dohh:. Her pup was a male and no, he is getting fixed, especially since he is not a mixed breed. Yes, she is a cheaspeke bay retreiver bred for retreving ducks, which I hunt. I dont want someones shelter mut, I like my hand raised, personally trained, purebred dog.

If you have an entire bitch it is your responsibility to make sure she cannot get accidentally pregnant. Maybe dog owners have a 6ft fence that their dog jumped out of to get to yours? A 5ft fence isn't adequate to keep dogs out when a bitch is in heat and no in season bitch should be out unsupervised, it's simply irresponsible. An unplanned and unsupervised mating alone can kill a bitch if something goes wrong, let alone a pregnancy and whelping. :nope:

Why do you want to breed any way?

I took the responsility and had a fence put up, it's not my fault another dog jumped it. My dog stays outside, she has her own house and has run of a 1/4 acre lot.

an intact male will smell a bitch in season n could easily clear a 5ft fence or higher
if the dog is in your garden no u dont expect it to get pregnant, i can see both sides i own labs whilst u dont expect it u have to be aware that is a male dogs instinct n unfortunatly all the time irresponsible people let their dogs roam it can happen im afraid its down to the resposible dog owners to prevent it wether they are in your garden or not
OP- ultimately its the bitch or pups that suffer if it happens n things go wrong you are the one thats left to deal with it so it would be in your interest to prevent it im not being funny thats the reality how old is your bitch? when did u notice she was pregnant this time? are u aware of mismate? you can believe it or not get doggie contraception!!
i aso agree with tegans mama is she a good example of her breed have exceptional temprement good line of pedigree also another point if u do intend to breed 'most' in the know buyers will want a home raised social pup if your bitch lives outside it may go against u as the pups will be ouutside dogs too

I dont have a "garden"? I have 1/4 acre of land for my dog to run on. As far as me breeding her I would not be selling the pups but rather training them for myself. We do not know if she is pregnant again it was just a question being asked since she appears to be gaining weight again.

Yes, you have to remember that there are many members on here who have experience with breeding and seeing you come on here saying you think your dog might be pregnant 4 weeks after having pups stirs up some feelings for members who are passionate about dogs and animals in general. For one it shows you have absolutely no experience with breeding. And as I already said, it sounded as though you also didn't want to breed your dog, but then your husband has come on and said you want to breed in the future and it's not your problem that neighbours dogs are able to get at your un neutered female.

Those many members on here could prove themselves to be a little helpful and answer a question instead of replying with a smart ass remark. Obviously the answer was she cannot be pregnant again and all these so called experienced breeders should have known that and never had a reason to get upset. And for what it's worth, it's not my problem the neighbors dog jumped the fence, in the US they are now responsible for any bills my dog or her pup incur. Also, since the dog jumped my fence onto my personal property in the state I live in I have all rights to shoot the dog, I chose to run him off instead of taking that route.

For what it's worth, if you want to reply to this and bitch and whine I will request your post be deleted, if you have advice about breeding or advice about the orginal question then please feel free to answer. Smart ass remarks will be reported from now on.

Whether other people are responsible or not, you are responsible for your dog. If she is kept outside and she is in season, she must be kept properly secured. Clearly your land isn't secure enough. What if she gets caught again on her next season? Then her next one?

Do you seriously think you can keep all her puppies? Do you think your dog is better than a 'shelter mutt'? (You get Chesapeakes in shelters too, you know...)

I have three entire bitches here. They are my pets, they work and I also show them. I occasionally breed a litter, usually only if I want a pup to keep and show. There is an entire male dog two doors down that likes to jump into my garden. It's a nuisance, but the owner has put an 6ft fence up that the dog still manages to get over and then over the 6ft fence into my garden. So, if my girls are in season, I only allow them supervised access to the garden, because if they get 'accidentally' pregnant then that becomes my problem if they get ill and die as a result, which is perfectly possible.

If you want to keep your entire bitch outside, it is probably a good idea, for her own protection, to build a kennel and covered run she can be kept in when in season so that other dogs cannot get to her. It is also probably wise to learn a lot more about breeding before deciding to embark upon it deliberately.

The following link is a bit sensationalist, but it give you an idea of what can go wrong:

https://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html

Thanks for those that did offer good advice. To the poster above me, yes, my dog is better. she is a trained full blooded retriver, find me another one in a shelter.

I have my land as secure as I can afford to for my dog. As for as the dog doing it again, I have another secure device for him. It's called a browning BPS 12. Google it if you want to know. I'm done with this, some of ya'll are hopeless.

Thanks for those that did offer good advice. To the poster above me, yes, my dog is better. she is a trained full blooded retriver, find me another one in a shelter.

I have my land as secure as I can afford to for my dog. As for as the dog doing it again, I have another secure device for him. It's called a browning BPS 12. Google it if you want to know. I'm done with this, some of ya'll are hopeless.

You are disgusting excuse for a human being. I can't believe some people would be so cruel and horrid as to shoot a dog that is just doing what comes naturally to it, mating when they smell a bitch in heat. Go take it up with the owner, it's not the dogs fault... :nope:

You are pathetic if you'd rather shoot someone elses dog rather than be responsible for your own. You can go ahead and report my post all you want, you only feel attacked because you aren't getting other posters agreeing with you when you don't deserve it. You are clearly a irresponsible pet owner, end of story.

And speaking as someone who worked for the SPCA in dog rehab I can tell you that I would get plenty of pure bred, with papers in my section. I'm sure they were just as good as your dog. I can also tell you that according the Canadian SPCA any owners who keep their dog outside 100% of the time are considered unfit owners and can have their pet taken if reported. If I was your neighbor and you shot my dog I would be sure to report you. So I would be careful before you decide to show how "in charge" you are.

I have purebred dogs here too, one of which has qualified for Crufts, the biggest and most prestigious dog show in the UK. However, I don't consider them 'better' than any other dog at all. Maybe that's because I am an animal lover and not interested in how good people think I look or how much money I have spent on my house. (not sure why the cost of your house was relevant to this discussion at all)

You can't be bothered to properly care for your dog, in fact you have risked her life by not caring for her properly, so you are prepared to shoot another dog that comes onto your property. What a poor excuse for a human being you are....

the only thing being reported should be you..
and get the dog to the vets!

surely that would be your first point of call for advice if you were really that bothered about her.. not a forum! :nope:

Whether other people are responsible or not, you are responsible for your dog. If she is kept outside and she is in season, she must be kept properly secured. Clearly your land isn't secure enough. What if she gets caught again on her next season? Then her next one?

Do you seriously think you can keep all her puppies? Do you think your dog is better than a 'shelter mutt'? (You get Chesapeakes in shelters too, you know...)

I have three entire bitches here. They are my pets, they work and I also show them. I occasionally breed a litter, usually only if I want a pup to keep and show. There is an entire male dog two doors down that likes to jump into my garden. It's a nuisance, but the owner has put an 6ft fence up that the dog still manages to get over and then over the 6ft fence into my garden. So, if my girls are in season, I only allow them supervised access to the garden, because if they get 'accidentally' pregnant then that becomes my problem if they get ill and die as a result, which is perfectly possible.

If you want to keep your entire bitch outside, it is probably a good idea, for her own protection, to build a kennel and covered run she can be kept in when in season so that other dogs cannot get to her. It is also probably wise to learn a lot more about breeding before deciding to embark upon it deliberately.

The following link is a bit sensationalist, but it give you an idea of what can go wrong:

https://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html

well that website scared the crap out of me and my puppy will be getting done very soon so thank you :thumbup:

to the OP and her hubby. You need to take responsibility for your dog. its all well and good having all that space for her to run around in but really when she is on heat she shoudlnt be out anywhere unsupervised as a male dog will do anything to breed.

You cant say we cant afford to sort a kennel out really because if she is pregnant again how could you afford the vet bills and keeping the pups for however long?

As for shooting the male dog if it comes on your land again....well maybe someone so trigger happy shouldnt be allowed guns eh?!

good, i will shoot you too if you come to my house!

there are lots of pure breeds in pounds not just cross breeds as i said i have labs one an intact female she won first at her first outing shes a working dog with great pedigree n a great example of her breed but i would never breed her i dont have the knowledge to do it without risking her life so it wont happen when shes in season she is not walked n only outside supervised i think the feeling here is once is an accident 2 should be prevented your dog your land your resposibility retrievers can produce 10 pups a time n a bitch should have health tests done before u even think of breeding u asked for advise n been given lots of useful info and facts

Those many members on here could prove themselves to be a little helpful and answer a question instead of replying with a smart ass remark. Obviously the answer was she cannot be pregnant again and all these so called experienced breeders should have known that and never had a reason to get upset. And for what it's worth, it's not my problem the neighbors dog jumped the fence, in the US they are now responsible for any bills my dog or her pup incur. Also, since the dog jumped my fence onto my personal property in the state I live in I have all rights to shoot the dog, I chose to run him off instead of taking that route.

For what it's worth, if you want to reply to this and bitch and whine I will request your post be deleted, if you have advice about breeding or advice about the orginal question then please feel free to answer. Smart ass remarks will be reported from now on.

Your attitude is absolutely disgusting. This is a forum. Many of us are animal lovers. You can report away but it will end with your thread being closed, NOT our posts being deleted because YOU are the one spouting bullshit about shooting other peoples dogs, not us. How pathetic! Take responsibility for your dog instead of landing all the responsibility on everyone else.

Do you really expect people to come along with advice when you are being bitchy and making "smart ass remarks" left right and center? That won't happen.

Look! Things are really different here in US than they are in the UK or Canada when it comes to animals. A dog left outside is not a crime nor am I unfit to take care of my dog. She is very well taken care of, Thank you very much. She is fed, walked, and played with everyday.

As far as the other dog coming into MY backyard, which is fenced in, is illegal. The owner of the other dog is responisble. My dog is securedly kept in MY yard. I don't understand how in the world it is my responsiblity to keep another dog out of MY yard!?!

Maybe some of you should read up a little on the LAWS when it come to MY state in which I live when it comes to animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"