how long before i can dropping pumps

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by aquaflora2, Jun 4, 2011.

1. aquaflora2

aquaflora2 Well-Known Member

Hello, I've been pumping for several weeks now to increase and maintain milk supply. Unfortunately due to circumtances I cannot breatfeed too often. pumping is alot of work and i'm just wondering how long do I have to do this before I can start dropping number of pumps. I started pumping late, only when DD was 2 months, she's 3 months now...... wish i started earlier.

2. nullaby

nullaby Well-Known Member

IM sad to hear it hasn't worked out for you, pumping is so much work and extremely time consuming! You did a great job! I would drop 1 pump session at a time over a few days or a week. Good luck :)

3. pachamama

pachamama Well-Known Member

Hiya,

Are you wanting to drop sessions in order to ultimately stop pumping, or drop a session and continue to pump similar amounts?

x

4. aquaflora2

aquaflora2 Well-Known Member

yes pump the same amount but pump less often........

5. pachamama

pachamama Well-Known Member

I found that around 3+ months, my supply had properly established. At this time I started to drop sessions and continued to get the same amount. Over a period of a couple of weeks I slowly reduced from 6 pumping sessions in 24 hours to 4, making sure I continued to pump once in the night (usually around 4am - but up to you on that one). I only dropped the night pump at 5-6 months. Remember, if you drop a session and your supply drastically reduces, you can always reintroduce it for a while.

For the sake of my own sanity I dropped to 3 pumping sessions at 5 months - needed to get out the house and do stuff. Lo was on 6 bottles a day, 3 naps and I was pumping 4 times a day and it didn't leave much time for anything else! That was when my supply reduced by a good 8 oz's or so, and I topped up with formula. I would have preferred to have avoided that but my sanity was more important.

Now, I pump twice a day and produce about 16-18's which is 2/3 oz's more than lo drinks, which is great.

I take blessed thistle one tablet 3 x a day, fenugreek 3 tablets 3x a day, eat lots of oats and drink lots of water.

hth
    x