How long before TTC have you started folic acid?

boobee

1 DD/Expecting No 2
Reaction score
How long before TTC do you ladies start taking folic acid?! First time round I started taking them straight after coming off the pill thinking naively that I'd fall pregnant immediately (ha!) it took 9 months with lots of complications but this time round hoping to plan conception rather than guess at it and wondering how long before hand you started taking them?!

OMG I have been taking folic acid FORVEVER! I started taking it like 6 month before we officially started ttc because I wanted to make sure I had it built up in my system.

I started taking mine in January and we will be TTC in July/August. I think as early as you can is best, but don't stress too much if you don't have that much time, just start now. I've also heard that prenatal vitamins are really good for all women to be taking, not just those who are trying or pregnant so there's really no downside to starting early.

my doctor told me awhile back that she recommends all women in childbearing years to take it. that way if there is an accident you are covered. if you're confident in your BC, than 2-3 months before should be fine

I started them 6 months before last time. I plan to start them 3 months before this time. I think my diet is healthier now probably than it was before, and our TTC date is a little more up in the air because of work and travel for me, so it may get pushed back by a month or two anyway. So I figure 3 months is plenty of time (and it may end up being 4 or 5 months anyway).

My doctor told me to start 5 months before, but I started taking them a year ago.

I've been taking them as part of a multi vitamin I take for 7 months now. I think they say 6 months beforehand.

With my first I didn't start taking it until after I found out I was pregnant. Now I'm taking a multivitamin for pregnant/lactating women that has it in it, so I will have been taking it for several months by the time we actually TTC again.

I've been taking folic acid for over a year. Can't do any harm.

Thanks ladies! I best start then ha ha! Any particular ones?! I got mine from the doctor last time which were the generic ones they give you.

We decided in February that we would start ttc in September this year and I started taking folic acid the next day. It can't do you any harm and I don't think it's something that's stored in significant amounts by the body so I wanted to make sure I have a good supply and store built up for when we start ttc.

Thanks ladies! I best start then ha ha! Any particular ones?! I got mine from the doctor last time which were the generic ones they give you.

I've got morrison's own at the minute. They've got the same amount in the as the more expensive ones. I think that as long as it's at least 200% of your rda then it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->