how long can hubby stay with me in hospital?

Raven24

mum
Reaction score
i know hubby will be with me when i am in labour etc but when things are all settled down and me and baby are fine how long can hubby stay?
i found some info in my notes about hospital visiting times and it said partners 8am to 8pm so does that mean that after 8pm he will have to go and ill be alone?

ive only just thought about it and its freaked me out that it will get to 8pm and he'll have to leave, i can see me having a crying fit when he leaves me?

anyone know what happens?

hubbys can stay 8am to 8pm at the hospital I go to

When i had aiden at 09:34am my OH was allowed to stay until 8pm that night then come back at 8am but i got out the same day so i never spent anytime away from him apart from when he went to get aidens carseat x

yeah will have to stay until visting times are over, but obv depends what time you give birth. I had DD at 12.33am and partner left at 4. Was back at 10 lol. But visting times at the new hospital are 12.30 till 8pm for parnters orr 6.30 till 8pm for normal vistors

I think if you have just given birth say at 7pm they aren't going to kick hubby out at 8. I know when I stayed in hospital recently quite a few fathers were there after hours so to speak. I think some hospitals may offer a bit of discretion in these matters.

If you think about when you get admitted into hospital in other situations they usualy allow a person to stay with you until you are settled. I was in hospital with suspected appendicitis at 19 weeks and was on a normal surgical ward. Admitted at 9pm ish and partner didnt leave until the early hours.

I'd say it depends on the hospital. My husband was allowed to stay with me every day i was in the hospital he slept in the room with us actually.

It will depend on your hospital with my 1st I ended up in theatre and was moved straight to the ward after and hubby had to leave once I was there as it was 6am.

With Dion I had him in a labour room and hubby stayed with us till I moved to the birth centre for a rest.
I think they will let them stay till you are moved to a ward or go home.

I think if you give birth after visiting times they allow partners to stay until your settled and then they have to go, well thats how it works in my hospital x

i know hubby will be with me when i am in labour etc but when things are all settled down and me and baby are fine how long can hubby stay?
i found some info in my notes about hospital visiting times and it said partners 8am to 8pm so does that mean that after 8pm he will have to go and ill be alone?

ive only just thought about it and its freaked me out that it will get to 8pm and he'll have to leave, i can see me having a crying fit when he leaves me?

anyone know what happens?

Thanks for this post, I am also realllly worried about this too. I was talking to my boyfriend about this last night, saying I dont want to stay on my own and I had tears in my eyes just thinking about it. God help me lol. Just keep thinking it will soon be over and we will be tucked up on the sofa with our new babies xxx

Give your hospital a call and ask. I know over here, one family member is allowed to stay with you 24 hours if they want... at least at my hospital. They even provide chairs that fold out into beds and some hospitals will even bring a meal around for the person staying when they bring around plates for the patients.

:blush:here in canada...i didnt noticed anything llike this....but if its true then its really up setting

IF you are taken in at tea time in labour they will let OH stay after 8pm, but IF you go in and nothing is happening etc he will be sent home and rang when things change etc.

i had my middle 1 at 8:32pm and they said OH could stay for "a while". i went for a bath and left OH with baby. i went back to delivery room and the MW said that when i was ready to go to the ward OH would have to leave as after visiting time. (they were happy for us to stay in delivery room as it wasnt busy. at about 11:30pm OH went home to rest and said be back at 9am (once had breakfast etc.)

with Blake, he was born at 3:57am and the hospital were ok for OH to stay "as long as he wanted" as long as we stayed in delivery room. just before 6am OH went home as he had been at hospital since 9am the day before and hadnt had any sleep. he went home and came back at about 10am when i was on the ward.

best thing you can do is ask your MW/hospital. IF you are in labour after visiting times they WONT send your OH home.

My hospital got there at 1:30am, i was in full labour. I had her at 6:47am, visiting hours started at 8. My mam, dad & grandma couldnt all stop. So my mam & dad left at around 8ish, grandma stopped with me. They returned at 2ish i was out by 4.

This is problem i have, i totally do not want to stop in hospital on my own. I'll end up discharging myself or something, i have big fear/problem.

it does depend on what time you give birth but yes on the ward and in normal circumstances hubby will have to go home at 8pm you will be there at night and DH at home and then he can come back in the morning....it is scary and I am worried about it too but thats the rules :(

At my local hospital your OH can stay with you all the time your in delivery suite but when you go on ward they can only stay few minutes while you get settled (if its out of visiting hours) but they said you usually stay in delivery suite for a good few hours before going on ward unless their reallt busy

well i hope i have little one early in the day and i will go home the same day i cant see me staying in without hubby i dont want to be without him if there is no reason for me to stay in then ill go home asap. can they stop you leaving hospital if you want to go?

i had zane at 4.18pm and after being left sat in the bed i delievered in for hours on end i was finaly stitched at 6 ish and was given a freezing bath at 8 they moved me to the ward at 9pm and straight away my oh had to go home.

i was really upset we werent able to spend time together comfortable.

but times do change in different hospitals

I know its a ward, and they have to keep people away. And I will have been through labour, but its not just my baby!! Why can't other half stay, its just so wrong.

I think men get a raw deal out of everything, from paternity to everything else :(

the men cant stay for the fact that other new mums might not have a oh so they dont wana offend people

My hospital got there at 1:30am, i was in full labour. I had her at 6:47am, visiting hours started at 8. My mam, dad & grandma couldnt all stop. So my mam & dad left at around 8ish, grandma stopped with me. They returned at 2ish i was out by 4.

This is problem i have, i totally do not want to stop in hospital on my own. I'll end up discharging myself or something, i have big fear/problem.

I'm the same as you hun, I'm terrified of being in the hospital overnight on my own and OH has said that he doesnt want to go home without us and has said he will chain himself to my bed if he has to!

Does anyone know what the policies are if your OH is registered disabled? My OH has Multiple Sclerosis and doesnt do so well without me around so it would worry me that he'd be at home on his own if I were to stay in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->