How long did you wait?

Discussion in 'Postnatal Support' started by elle86, Oct 4, 2013.

1. elle86

elle86 Well-Known Member

I wasnt sure where to post this so I hope it's okay to ask here...

Just wondering how long to wait before having sex again? I know they say six weeks but has anyone tried sooner? If so was everything O.K? I'm feeling a little worried and DH is very keen.. Its almost five weeks and I have no pain anymore.

2. Pixie19

Pixie19 Mummy to Logan

As soon as i stopped bleeding and had no pain. Roughly 2-3 weeks after birth :thumbup:

3. Dime Cuando

Dime Cuando Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this but after a csection - don't know if its still a 6 week wait? Well I gave it a go anyway at 4 weeks and it was fine, lol

4. jd83

jd83 Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

I think it depends on what type of birth you had. With DS1 I had an episiotomy, so they told me to wait 6-8 weeks because it was a lot of stiches. We waited 8 weeks, and it still hurt really bad initially for a few months.

With DS2, normal vaginal delivery without tears or episiotomy. Told me to wait 6 weeks. We waited 4, I felt fine, and there was no pain this time.

5. mush23

mush23 Well-Known Member

I had an episotomy and waited till 4 weeks. The stitches seemed to have healed ( I peaked with a mirror) and I had no pain we would have done it sooner but dd never slept till she was about 4 weeks haha

6. Shadowy Lady

Shadowy Lady Well-Known Member

about 3 weeks. I only bled for 12 days and my midwife ok'd us for sex after that :D

7. lhancock90

lhancock90 2 toddlers, 1 MMC, WTT#3

5 weeks with DD1
    8 weeks with DD2 (I had stitches)

8. Tryandwish

Tryandwish Mum of DS,DD & WTTC#3

Same for me. I had episiotomy and tears and was in pain for a long time. Went to GP and had to have steroid cream as where I had healed from the episiotomy had healed with very sensitive layers that normally lie below the surface. The steroid helped the normal surface layers develop but it was a long time before I felt comfortable enough to even try sex. DS was nearly 4 months old before we successfully had penetrative sex. Just go with what ever your body tells you. If you are comfortable enough, then go for it :thumbup:

:hugs2:

9. menageriemom

menageriemom Well-Known Member

~2.5 weeks for both DD and DS, both were vaginal births with small grazes on labia area. I can't say everybody is OK to do it that early but I felt fine and had no pain during and no after effects

10. OmiOmen

OmiOmen Mum of two

At 4 months and no intention of doing it anytime soon. I agree that it depends massively on the type of birth you had.

11. sillysapling

sillysapling Parent of 1

You should only have sex when both of you are comfortable with it, and I'd advise being careful and taking it slow until you know how it will feel.

We tried a few weeks after LO was born- not penetrative. I still felt very raw and it wasn't that nice for me physically, but I'd missed the intimacy/etc so it was still good. LO is 5 months old and whether or not penetrative works is really touch and go- I had a tear and got 2 stitches, and the scar can be painful. I imagine that perineal massage would help with that, but it's really not a priority for me. We don't want to have another one any time soon, so avoiding penetration just makes sense.

12. ClairAye

ClairAye Mum to one of each!

Exactly 3 weeks after an episiotomy and forceps delivery. I didn't really have general pain but it was horrible. I hated it! I wish I'd waited a few weeks more!