How long do you need to stay in hospital afterwards?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by berniegroves, Jun 7, 2011.

1. berniegroves

berniegroves A daughter and a son

Hi,
    This may sound really strange but i am actually more worried about having to stay in hospital after the birth than of the actual birth itself! Weird i know!

I was just wondering if anyone knew how long you had to stay in hospital after giving birth if it as straightforward as it can be....iykwim?

I really don't want to have to stay overnight as it really freaks me out and wondered what the guidelines were etc.

Thanks
    x

2. Celesse

Celesse Well-Known Member

You don't have to go into hosptial at all and you can leave any time you want to. I think they normally suggest that you stay around 6 hours after the birth.

3. charxxx

charxxx Mum & Expecting again

Hiya, I stayed in hospital for a grand total of.. a few hours! Lol & That was only because I had my daughter at 11pm if it had of been during the day they'd of sent me home straight away.. Theres also midwife led birthing centers? Ask your midwife about it.. Its basically a unit that has birthing pools and stuff and you leave as soon as you've had baby? Only problem with that is epidurals and other pain relief isnt available and if theyre are any complications you'll end up in hospital anyway.

But hope you think of something I'm sure it will turn out well for you :) xx

4. scots_mum

scots_mum Expecting no2

First birth they will strongly recommend 24 hours but you can leave after 6, if your waters have broke more than 24 hours before you delivered though which is quite likely in first births you need to stay in for 24 hours so they can monitor babies temp, c sections depend on healing ect roughly 3 days though, other complications eg group b strep its 24 hours, it totally depends on what happens on the day

5. lynnikins

lynnikins Well-Known Member

you can leave as soon as you like but most hospitals wont let you go before 6 hours , trust me you will just want to rest after giving birth and then clean up and eat something by the time that all happens it will likely be 6 + hours anyway, i spent a week in with ds1 caus he was in the SCBU then moved back to my room but still having treatment and 2 days with ds2 caus i needed a blood transfusion post birth

6. ttcnewbie123

ttcnewbie123 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what time of the day you give birth too! My sister gave birth early hours of the morning and was allowed to go home later that day. But obviously if you give birth in the evening you will have to stay in overnight. Thats assuming that everything is ok with you and bubs x

7. jacks mummy

jacks mummy Well-Known Member

i was the same as u hun when i had my son i didnt want to be there at all! i had jack at 16.52 and was home at 3pm the next day so 1 night and i was stupid to leave when i did! i felt ok just tired in the morning when i got but by the time it was time to go home i wasnt feeling good at all very dizzy and weak but i so badly wanted to go home so i did anyway after a day and a half at home i had to go back and stay for 3days as i had an infection and was very anemic it was awful! so my advise is just see how u feel if u feel fine then go home but if u feel bad at all just stay and make sure ur better xx

8. tweedy

tweedy Well-Known Member

you are free to go whenever, i left 36 hour after my emergency c-section, as i had been in hospital for 3 weeks with pre-eclampisa and was ready to go, baby was discharged and i signed myself out against advice, but was given everythign i needed and midwife came 1st thing the next day.

my sis was out 4 hours after her normal delivery, she had about 6 stiches and had no problems,

i think this time as i am attempting to breastfeed, i'll stay in as long as possible, plus coming home after a section to a 3 year old, might be a bit much, but if i am unable to rest due to busy ward, not getting support and missing my daughter, i'll be out as soon as they unhook my cathater, and baby is given all clear.

9. Catherine896

Catherine896 Well-Known Member

I had my son early hours of Sunday morning, and went home Monday afternoon. I had a bit of a traumatic birth though.

Im hoping with this baby I get out within a few hours!

Noticed you are in Bristol, where are you having your baby? I had my son at St Michaels and this one will be there too.

xx

10. 2ndtimeluckyX

2ndtimeluckyX Well-Known Member

my sis only stayed a couple of hours, she had her dd at about 7am and didnt need stitches etc so was home by lunch time

11. babytimeee

babytimeee Well-Known Member

Where I live you stay at the very least 1 day :cry:

12. berniegroves

berniegroves A daughter and a son

Hi,
    I will be having mine at Southmead, hopefully in the Midwife Led Unit. We need to arrange to go for a tour at some point.
    I'm trying to find some ante-natal classes at the moment, as i don't know anyone else who is pregnant etc and this is my first.
    I have my 20 week scan on Friday, so we are very close!!

Thanks for all your replies ladies, makes me feel a little more reassured. I know if there are complications i will need to stay and i am fine with that. I just didn't know if there was a minimum time you had to stay for.
    I will just want to be at home with DH i think.

Thanks again

x

13. RJSS85

RJSS85 Love My Boys!

I'm on my first and was assuming that I'd go home the next day. The only other person I've known to stay longer was my cousin, she stayed for 2 days, but only because she hadn't had her bowels open. Fingers crossed for a nice, normal and QUICK delivery for me and everyone else here :) x

14. Tia

Tia 1 DS and Expecting # 2

I was made to stay in for two days cos I couldn't get LO to latch on properly while bf. I wasn't too happy about it cos he was fine when using a nipple shield but one of the midwifes refused point blank to let me go until he was doing it without the shield. The next morning, the BF consultant woman came round and said that it was utter rubbish that I had to stay in and as long as he was getting milk, I could go home.

15. ellie27

ellie27 Well-Known Member

Anna was born by c-section at 10.45am monday and we got home lunchtime on wednesday. If it is a normal delivery I have heard folk being allowed home the same day or just the next day.:flower:

16. emmar75

emmar75 due 23-9-11

i had my 25 week midwife appt today and had a chat with her about how long you have to stay in hospital for after you have given birth. she said that there is no set time, you could literally have it and go.

they have to check the baby over and there is a heart test which can only be done when the baby is six hrs old (but has to be done before they are 3 days) so most people stay til at least then, but she said my midwife centre has a midwife there who can perform the test so you could bring the baby in for that. she said that it is best to stay in for a couple of nights if you are breastfeeding so that the midwives in the hospital can help you get established for that. makes sense really to use their expertise whilst you are there.

also asked her about other half visiting times and she said that fathers (or other birth partners) dont have to stick to the visiting hours they can come from 8 am - 9.30 pm

my mum said that one of my sisters had her second at about 6 am and came home dinner time.

hth x