How long does sperm live during your fertile period?

anneliese

Reaction score
I don't know when exactly I ovulated this month, I just know that it's my fertile week, so I'm wondering how long does the sperm live during this time on average? During one of the days I may have ovulated we didn't have sex for almost 48 hours, so I'm wondering if enough sperm would have likely survived from the last sesion to conceive. I've heard sperm CAN live up to 3-5 days, but is that really the average for most of them?

i have also heard that sperm can live up to 5days best of luck! x

it really depends on how sperm-friendly conditions are. If you've got EWCM, they'll be kicking back and having a great time, waiting for their date (Eggy) to arrive. They'll be fit enough for her for five days, as your CM contains sugars to sustain them. If it's creamy, they can live a few days, but not as long as EWCM. Sticky is just too sticky for them and they don't survive the day and in dry conditions, they're doomed.

Ideally, you need to BD at least every other day leading up to ovulation, but you can certainly get pg from BD 48 hours before ov day. GL :thumbup:

Thanks! I've definitely had ew/watery cm the past few days, so hopefully they can hang on :thumbup:

Great questions! I was wondering the same. I had ewcm for 3 days before I got a positive opk. We dtd on the days I had ewcm so hoping dh's spermies kicked back and waiting for their date!!

I'm so ready for my bfp!! Good luck ladies x

Male Sperm (Y chromosone) usually lives 1 to 1 1/2 days during your fertile period.

Female Sperm (X chromosone) usually lives around 3 days during your fertile period. In lab conditions... it has shown that the female sperm can live up to 5 days.

But all of this has to take into account that the sperm makes it to the fallopian tubes. Sperm has to first bypass the virgina which is harsh and kills sperm by the millions. Then it has to make it through the windy paths of the cervic which is like a maze in which many get loss and die before making it out. Then it has to make it through the uterus which has fighting mechanisms that attack foreign objects including sperm.

Once the Sperm makes it to the fallopian tubes, then it can wait in a sperm friendly environment for the eggs release. It only is a matter of a few hours for the sperm to reach the fallopian tubes.

No wonder even under the RIGHT conditions there is only a 20 percent chance of getting pregnant each month!!!

Hope This helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"